• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Seed Destiny Sequel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Will there be a sequel of Gundam Seed Destiny? Iv'e also heard lots of rumors about this, I can't tell if it's true or not, can you guys give me some info on this?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
While I loved Gundam SEED, and for-the-most-part enjoyed GSD (it got real repetitive and the reused animation had saturated so much of the battle scenes that I would've dropped the series had I not already been a fan of Gundam SEED), I REALLY hope they do WAY better with this 3rd installment, or I WILL drop the series like a red-hot poker despite my love of Gundam.

Thing is that GSD began to feel more and more like a marketing ploy rather than a good story. I can see how they tried to make Shinn like a neo Kamille Bidan, except that the diff being that Kamille at least GREW UP and grew a backbone in Zeta, whereas most fans (including myself) simply desired to see Athrun beat Shinn like a red-headed step-child, and considering that Shinn NEVER GREW UP. Heck, he didn't even develop as a character. Rey was a good character until he began acting as the oh-so-obvious puppet-master of Shinn.

That, and the gundam parallels really got to me, especially with Destroy/Psycho. Not that a toss up to the older Zeta was bad, it's just that it was executed badly. It felt like the creators were going for "massive battle", plus adhering too strictly to "number of enemies is inversely proportional to their chances to hit the main character" law of anime, plus parallels to zeta gundam, instead of simply having some story parallels but letting plot and story overall drive themselves. And some more original MS designs wouldn't have hurt (they really went overboard with copying with Atsuki/Hyaku-Shiki).

So, all I can say is that I hope they realized their mistakes with GSD and will do better to make a more original series with the 3rd installment.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Just because something is being planned doesn't automagically mean that its happening. That's hardly concrete evidence to support another series coming.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that a sequel might be coming. I hated Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny is probably going to be just as aweful. All the characters are annoying and it feels like the whole series one big filler episode. It's so boaring.
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
While I loved Gundam SEED, and for-the-most-part enjoyed GSD (it got real repetitive and the reused animation had saturated so much of the battle scenes that I would've dropped the series had I not already been a fan of Gundam SEED), I REALLY hope they do WAY better with this 3rd installment, or I WILL drop the series like a red-hot poker despite my love of Gundam.

Thing is that GSD began to feel more and more like a marketing ploy rather than a good story. I can see how they tried to make Shinn like a neo Kamille Bidan, except that the diff being that Kamille at least GREW UP and grew a backbone in Zeta, whereas most fans (including myself) simply desired to see Athrun beat Shinn like a red-headed step-child, and considering that Shinn NEVER GREW UP. Heck, he didn't even develop as a character. Rey was a good character until he began acting as the oh-so-obvious puppet-master of Shinn.

your right, they are making gundam seed like the old UC series, though I am a bit annoyed on how they want it to be that way I still wanna watch it, lets expect that this coming sequel will be just like ZZ Gundam,and the new protagonist would be just like a neo Judau Ashta. your also right about some mobile suits look a lot like the ones in other series, most of them were copied from the UC series and some of them were from gundam wing(Blitz-deathscythe, Buster-Heavyarms).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with them retelling UC, but just copying UC into the new alternate continuity and then making a mess out of it is just dumb. SEED was done VERY WELL, IMO, and is a great example of how things should be retold. GSD started out good, then turned into an example of, "How not to do things."
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

I can't possibly see why? The series was probably the worst throught the whole Gundam franchise. It seemed that everything that made Gundam worked had just been removed and instead was transformed to be more kiddy and user friendly. The violence was softened till it was pretty much non nonexistant and there was almost no emphasis on the war or even the Gundams themselves. Couldn't attach to a single character and and top of all that the whole bright ass color thing just never clicked for me. Of all the sequels to make boy I tell ya...
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
I have no problem with them retelling UC, but just copying UC into the new alternate continuity and then making a mess out of it is just dumb. SEED was done VERY WELL, IMO, and is a great example of how things should be retold. GSD started out good, then turned into an example of, "How not to do things."

actually I also didn't like it when GSD was in it's later episodes, there were lots of "recycled scenes" and lots and lots of episode recaps, it was so annoying!
squeakyL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I liked Gundam Seed.
I didn't like Destiny.
Why? Destiny seemed a mix of (1) parallel of GS and (2) unwinding concluded conflicts of GS, so they can solve them again.
Seriously, though. They brought up spoiler[kira vs athrun] again, etc.
If it didn't seem almost identical to the first series, it may have been somewhat good.
Half-Life 2 took everything that made Half-Life great and made it better and awesomer. GSD took everything in GS, undid it, and did it over again.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
I agree, we got a rehash of SEED in destiny after about half-way through (the only thing I actually liked about Destiny was that there was alot more focus on Athrun, who is probably my FAVORITE GS/GSD male protagonist....Lacus is my fav for female protagonist), but what REALLY got me annoyed was the recycled battle scenes. It made every battle like a pokemon gameboy battle: same movement effects, same scenery, hits the same way each time. THe only diff being the background around which the fight is taking place and who kills whom in what manner.

And the real insulting thing was the Star Wars: Return of the Jedi cliches between Messiah and the Death Star II. Got the Neo Genesis.....DS II had the faster recharging superlaser.....check. Not to mention the Messiah control room and the Emperor's throne room were designed almost identical, even up to the command chair's design and that little walkway over a chasm that seperates the main dias from the giant lift shaft. Design swept STRAIGHT from Lucas Film, and embellished a little and added lighting. I was insulted.

GSD could've saved itself if they had had Shinn have some character growth instead of staying totally angsty the entire blasted series. Some people will moan about how the focus switched back to Kira and Athrun half-way through, but I see that as a good thing since if the focus had stayed on Shinn, I would've stopped watching since he stayed static the entire time, where as even when the focus was on Shinn earlier in the series we still saw character growth in people like Cagalli, Athrun, and even the more minor characters like Gladys and Lunamaria; and we still thought shinn was going to actually grow up after he got some sense beat into him by Athrun.

When Rei turned manipulative, he got to be an annoying character, whereas he was very interesting beforehand, even up through the point where he shot at Athrun. It's when he began piloting Legend that I got sick of his character.

Dullindal, though, was a great villian. He kept it hidden through a good bit of the series, and it was still hard to believe that he was so bad even when the evidence was right there. His portrayal was excellent.

Still, GSD is an example of how NOT to do things, whereas SEED is a great example of "This is how you do it.....just don't copy this example, because we've already done it."

Heck, I STILL watch my SEED dvds. I hardly touch my GSD fansubs.

Here's to hoping that the 3rd series will actually be GOOD. Maybe we'll get in some real good story. More Athrun wouldn't hurt if they pull it off right (and at least marry off the 2 main couples, PLEASE. And it's not like Gundam hasn't. Look at zeta, where you have some of your original MSG characters get married and start a family.....new ground wouldn't be broken by pulling off something like that between series. simply just seeing them "together" leaves things too open. close that thread off so people won't be clamoring for more of them).

OR, pull off something like an 08th MS team kind of thing....though that'd be hard since by the time both sides have MS's, the Earth Federation is already established as not being so great either. But doing something like what was done with 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team might be really good for the CE continuity. Dunno....just throwing some ideas out.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
Wingfreedomstriker wrote:
Will there be a sequel of Gundam Seed Destiny? Iv'e also heard lots of rumors about this, I can't tell if it's true or not, can you guys give me some info on this?

I have heard that there will be another 3rd SEED series.

Personally i wish that the gundam creators stop rehashing and moderising the order gundam stories lines and start some thing new again.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Just because something is being planned doesn't automagically mean that its happening. That's hardly concrete evidence to support another series coming.

There's no such thing as concrete evidence for things that people plan to do. There's always a possibility it might not happen. I also plan to go to work tomorrow. If someone asks me if I am going to work tomorrow the normal answer would be "yes", because I do plan to go to work tomorrow. No one's going to say "Well maybe, but there is always the possibility I'll get in a car accident or get a flat tire so I'm not sure". It goes without saying, it's assumed. Way to go at pointing out the obvious and making me go through this somewhat unneeded explaination though.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
I
GSD could've saved itself if they had had Shinn have some character growth instead of staying totally angsty the entire blasted series. Some people will moan about how the focus switched back to Kira and Athrun half-way through, but I see that as a good thing since if the focus had stayed on Shinn, I would've stopped watching since he stayed static the entire time, where as even when the focus was on Shinn earlier in the series we still saw character growth in people like Cagalli, Athrun, and even the more minor characters like Gladys and Lunamaria; and we still thought shinn was going to actually grow up after he got some sense beat into him by Athrun.

I figure if they had kept the focus on him, he would have gotten more character development. They didn't bother developing him because they were too busy focusing on Kira (and Athrun to a significantly lesser extent) in the second hafl of the series.

Here's to hoping that the 3rd series will actually be GOOD. Maybe we'll get in some real good story. More Athrun wouldn't hurt if they pull it off right (and at least marry off the 2 main couples, PLEASE. And it's not like Gundam hasn't. Look at zeta, where you have some of your original MSG characters get married and start a family.....new ground wouldn't be broken by pulling off something like that between series. simply just seeing them "together" leaves things too open. close that thread off so people won't be clamoring for more of them).[/quote]

I'd love that, but I don't see it happening. If they do that, they would alienate the yaoi fangirls (and boys) which seems to make up a good chunk of the SEED fanbase in Japan. That's supposedly the reason they had Cagalli ditch Athrun near the end of Destiny (the worst thing in the whole series in my eyes).

Quote:
OR, pull off something like an 08th MS team kind of thing....though that'd be hard since by the time both sides have MS's, the Earth Federation is already established as not being so great either. But doing something like what was done with 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team might be really good for the CE continuity. Dunno....just throwing some ideas out.

Just because the Federation is corrupt doesn't mean they can't make a series about some good troops. I don't think they'll go back to events during the SEED and Destiny until they've at least made a third series, but I suppose they could do it at some point. It is a goo idea.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
honestly, I doubt that shinn would've gotten much character growth even if they hadn't focused back on Kira during the 2nd half. he didn't even grow much if at all as a character during the second half.

however, I will acknowledge that killing of stellar was a dumb move on the director's part. she could've been even MORE of a great catalyst to shinn's character growth. as a result of her death, shinn goes back to being an angst-ridden bloodthirsty maniac with a mobile suit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2