• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggestions on any new series worth my time?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Well since the end of october I have been looking for an anime to live up to the standards of the anime that I was viewing at the time (Mai HiME, Honey & Clover and Bleach but still viewing Bleach). So far since then nothing really amazing has come out which has somewhat killed my love for anime for the time being. If anyone can point out any anime you consider to be on the same content level as the anime I had listed above then please suggest a way. Also if anyone can point out any anime coming out this year that could be worth my while please do so.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
People's tastes are different. If you want suggestions from random people, you might as well look at at the ratings that people gave certain titles...that way you'll have a bigger pool of opinions in a more straightforward format.

Lots of people (28 pages worth) have suggested their top 10 animes...it's even in the form of a sticky.

There's also a sticky based on genres, because you didn't give a specific genre you had in mind.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Well basically I did IMO give enough info for people to suggest anime. Surely the majority of people have seen at least 1 of the 3 titles I had mentioned. As for the genre part I'm pretty open up to any genre out there.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Out of those series I've seen Mai Hime. I've been watching a few new series lately (Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl, Magikano, and Kage Kara Mamoru). It's too early to tell if they'll live up to Mai Hime though. Kasimasi seems to look the most unique though. Magikano is the funniest out of them. Still it's too early to tell if they'll be any good.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, besides Bleach I'd also recomend the other 3 series I'm following at the moment:

Angel Heart-Top-notch assassin Glass Heart awakens in a hospital after attempting suicide to escape her life of dealing out death, to find herself saved by the syndicate she worked for with a heart transplant. After escaping she finds that she has memories and emotions from a life she never knew and is compelled to find the man in those memories and discover more about who the donor of the heart was.

Monster-Excellent, series about a Japanese Neurosurgeon in Germany who, after being fed up with hospital politics, decides to save the life of a boy who was shot in the head instead of the mayor. After his boss is killed he becomes the prime suspect and soon learns that the boy he saved was actually a seriial murderer. He attempts to run to prove his innocence, and correct the mistake he made.

Fate/Stay Night-Only three episodes out so far but it's definitely very interesting. Seven magically powered Magis battle it out for the chance to wish upon the Holy Grail. Shirou Emiya somehow is chosen as one of the combatants despite being a complete novice. He also manages to unwittingly summon the servant Saber, considered the most powerful of the seven.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
NOEIN

The most underhyped anime in years, but one thats made of pure awsome. Great sci-fi story, realistic characters, some real original animation and impressive music. Its ona round EP 15 now and I honestly can't find any fault with it. Go watch it. NOW.

PS: Mushishi is pure art, but not sure thats what you are looking for.

PSS: If you liked Mai-Hime (and assuming you are watching Otome) Might wanna check out Rozen Maiden/ Traumend
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 am Reply with quote
I have to agree, Noein is def. worth your time to watch. addendum: Pleroma, ep 14 was just released on fansub. I WISH ep 15 were out as well, though Wink.

Also, considering you liked Mai-Hime, you really should check out Mai-Otome. It may at first seem to be a silly alternate universe version of HiME, but that is not the case. The use of same-cast, different roles is an excellent appeal to the HiME fans, but the story doesn't rely on it (though personalities are pretty much the same as they were in HiME, with a few exceptions) so new fans won't be confused, but there are some great lines from the returning characters that HiME fans will appreciate (like Haruka's tendency to use a close-but-still-incorrect word, or the whole Natsuki/Shizuru thing, as well as the Akane/Kazu relationship.....which has a surprising twist compared to how it worked out in HiME), but those are not necessarilly story-critical things. All-in-all, Otome is shaping up to be a worthy sucessor that is not really riding on the coat-tails of its predecessor, but still providing a story that both returning HiME fans (like myself) and new fans will appreciate.

Addendum, Mai-Otome, ep 15 was just released by one of the (IMO) better groups, and ep 17 just came out from the speedsubbers.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Well basically I did IMO give enough info for people to suggest anime. Surely the majority of people have seen at least 1 of the 3 titles I had mentioned. As for the genre part I'm pretty open up to any genre out there.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

If you're really open to any genre, then I would recommend just starting with the ANN ratings list since it's really the best representation of ANN user opinions.

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian&n=200

You can change that "n=200" to however many you want to show up. If you want to see the top 20, make it "n=20". If you want the top 500, make it "n=500".
daristar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Well I've watched all 3 (still watching Bleach), although Chobits was my least favorite of those 3.

Have you tried Mai Otome? Some same characters as Hime although different personalities. Just watched ep 15 and around 12 I started liking it almost as much as I liked Mai Hime, until then I wasn't that into it.

Some other titles I'm following:

Fate Stay/Night: Magical battles between Masters and their special servants. I've only seen through Ep5, the artwork is great IMO. Ep 3-4 were a bit slow, 5 at least makes you want to see ep6.

Karin: romantic comedy around a vampiric girl. Although she's odd by vampire standards. Love triangle doesn't start until ep 8 or 9.

Canvas2: Romance. Main character was a promising artist but now refuses to draw, he's now working on being an art teacher and supervises an Art club at a HS. Childhood friend (female) comes to teach at the HS, oh and his cousin who lives with him is in love with him.

Kage Kare Mamorou: Comedy/romance. Mamorou's family has been secretly protecting their neighbors for 400 years. By day he's a dopey/clutz, but when something threatens his neighbor, he becomes a ninja.

Blood+ young girl fights off demons/mutant things. Lots of blood/gore. Oh and she doesn't have a memory further then a year ago, but she apparently has some special abilities and a lot of other people seem to know or suspect what she can do.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes.

GunXSword - Big O meets Trigun. Lots of mecha and coolness. The main character Van is so cool and badass, but he's also a very tragic character as well. Van is on a one-way path of revenge to find the man that killed his bride. Van is a pilot of a mysterious armor (mecha) called Dann.

Kage Kara Mamoru - Ninja and harem. Mamoru is a nerdy teenage high school student, but he has a secret. He's really a super-cool and cunning ninja. A ninja charged with the task of protecting their neighboring family for over 400 years. Mamoru's dad protects the father, his mom, the wife/mother, and Mamoru the air-headed daughter, Yuna. Though Yuna obviously is in love with her child hood friend Mamoru. Other female characters are popping up because well, they want to be close to the coolness that is Mamoru the ninja obviously.

Mamoru himself is an awesome character, and he's not a pervert either.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
daristar wrote:

Karin: romantic comedy around a vampiric girl. Although she's odd by vampire standards. Love triangle doesn't start until ep 8 or 9.

Canvas2: Romance. Main character was a promising artist but now refuses to draw, he's now working on being an art teacher and supervises an Art club at a HS. Childhood friend (female) comes to teach at the HS, oh and his cousin who lives with him is in love with him.

Karin is good if you enjoy slightly different cuteness and comedy, though people who aren't down with the cuteness might not enjoy it. (Come on, ya' motha get down with the cuteness!

I first checked out Canvas 2 because of the fansub group doing it; since you follow Bleach, I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about. For a series based on an H-game, it has a surprising amount of serious drama/romance going on. Not up to KgNE levels, but Canvas 2 isn't your average harem by any means. It may be a bit disconcerting to those who find the cousin romance scenarios in Sakura Diaries and Elfen Lied disturbing.

And, I'll go along with everybody and their dog in mentioning Mai Otome--I was pretty skeptical during the first few episodes, but around episode 7 or 8, Mai Otome does improve. Not that it's bad at first, but it does sometimes feel like "quick cash-in on Mai Hime's succe$$".
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
GunXSword and Kage Kara Mamoru is what you should all be watching right now Smile .
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Skip GunxSword. Worst trash I have ever seen. And I like Goro Tastumani.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Well since the end of october I have been looking for an anime to live up to the standards of the anime that I was viewing at the time (Mai HiME, Honey & Clover and Bleach but still viewing Bleach). So far since then nothing really amazing has come out which has somewhat killed my love for anime for the time being. If anyone can point out any anime you consider to be on the same content level as the anime I had listed above then please suggest a way. Also if anyone can point out any anime coming out this year that could be worth my while please do so.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

if you could, please inform me what you've seen already; makes it kinda hard to reccomend not knowing Wink

and i also love bleach. here's some more you might enjoy....

SaiKano (you will cry, if you have a soul)
Elfen Lied (warning: incest, grisly violence, nudity, and pedobears. watch when not around young children/mom/dad)
Chrono Crusade
One Piece (you've probably seen this already)
Alien 9 (really good)
FLCL (like a bad acid trip gone worse)
boogiebop phantom
serial experiments lain

sorry if you've seen/dont want to see these. However, i wanna say naruto cause it seems like omething vastly popular, but i hate it. However, black cat (i'd go w/ manga) is insanley good. it's easily my second favorite action/shouen anime to bleach Very Happy
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure you've seen it or someone has recommended it but I suggest you watch (people who have read my posts before you know what it is).............................................................SAMURAI CHAMPLOO!!! It is a great anime with great animation and top notch music (the best I've heard). The characters are good and the simple story will keep you hooked till the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2