• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Source of Naruto's Strength and Sasuke's Weakness

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prettygirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love the anime Naruto because it has such a captivating plot. I noticed that in the first episode, Naruto was a "drop-out" student. But as the series continued, he slowly gained tremendous strength. I have two thoughts as to why this might be:

1) spoiler[Because Naruto was not acknowledged, he was not able to show his true strenth until after Iruka-sensei acknowledged him. He just needed someone to recognize him. ]

2) spoiler[Sasuke, as a kind of rival, challenges Naruto to surpass him. This awakens Naruto's hidden strength. ]

Do you think there are other reasons as to why Naruto, who began as a "drop-out" is able to defeat nearly everyone who challenges him?

My other question is... if Sasuke is the number one rookie of the year and has the best grades and all, then why is he still so weak after so many episodes? Unlike Naruto, Sasuke is considered a genius right from the beginning. But he doesn't seem to grow at all. We see Naruto grow so fast and become so strong even though he is a "drop-out". Sasuke, on the other hand, is spoiler[supposed to be a superior ninja. However, he seems to lose to everyone that Naruto is able to beat. His "sharingan" is virtually useless as he doesn't copy techniques like Kakashi does...and his "chidori" hasn't been able to defeat any enemy yet.] Why is that??? How can a "drop-out" beat a genius?

I know some of you are going to say that I'm reading too deeply into the details of this anime and that it's just a cartoon! My defense is that Charles Dickens' novel Bleak House is just a novel yet scholars have spent decades analyzing this piece of writing.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
alright, i'm guessing it's a matter of stubborn will power, luck

or that massive amount of chakra and stamina naruto haves

besides, if Sasuke won all the time, he would never have learned any "lessons"
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Because of the power of hard work! Naruto is a genius at Hard Work![/Nice Guy Pose]

But it's basically because....

spoiler[The show's called Naruto, not Sasuke :p]

But it's mainly because Naturo himself is fighting to keep up, whereas Sasuke is focused entirely differently. So Sasuke can't achieve full potential because he's just thinking too far ahead.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how many episodes you've watched since starting this thread but both of your questions have already been answered in both the manga and the anime.

If you really need to know...

spoiler[Naruto has a demon inside him, called Kyuubi, aka The Nine-Tail Fox demon. When his normal chakra (blue color) runs out, Kyuubi shares its chakra (red color) so that Naruto can survive (because Kyuubi is contained in Naruto, it'll die if Naruto dies).

As for Sasuke, you're comparing with the wrong people. I don't know why you'd consider him "weak", I can only assume that you've yet to watch Naruto vs Sasuke after Sasuke "dies". And his Sharingan is FAR FAR FAR from full potential.]
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
He's the Main Character.

I thought we all knew that it's "boring" nowadays if the protagonist actually has to struggle to succeed.

*goes back to watching Rocky and applauds*
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Just so you know Sasuke was NOT always a genius and a prodigy.

Watch the episodes before the Sasuke/Naruto fight.

Sasuke when he first started was actually quite clumsy and a novice. Sasuke worked and practiced harder every day so his brother and more than anyone else his father would recognize him and talk about him and stop comparing him to Itachi. Sasuke was able to achieve this in some way after he mastered the Uchiha fire-ball attack.

Itachi butchering the Uchiha clan motivated Sasuke to push himself even more and become even more exceptional.

Just saying, Sasuke was NOT always as talented as he is, he still had to work for it.
prettygirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:

Damn it!!! Spoilers dude, spoilers!!! Use the spoiler tag!!!

Sasuke and Naruto fight?!?! Sigh... I hadn't watched up to there yet. Crying or Very sad

Coffee Man wrote:
Naturo himself is fighting to keep up, whereas Sasuke is focused entirely differently
Anyways, in response to "coffeeman", he makes a good point about Sasuke having a different focus than Naruto. I hadn't thought about that.

Super Arrow wrote:
I thought we all knew that it's "boring" nowadays if the protagonist actually has to struggle to succeed.
This never gets boring as long as the story is well written and has elements other than a weak protagonist become strong. The Orichamuru storyline adds to the plot as well as the inclusion of all Naruto's classmates (such as Shikamaru).
patch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
I don't know how many episodes you've watched since starting this thread but both of your questions have already been answered in both the manga and the anime.

Azathrael, no the US airing of this series has just recently began probally only to episode 20 or so? At least put a f''n spoiler["EPISODE 125 SPOILER"] before your tags.

I've been keeping up with the fansub releases as well, I just don't want you ruin the show for those who are watching the UNITED STATES release of this series. I don't think you would have appriciated someone telling you what happens spoiler[100] episodes after the one you're currently up to when you watching the fansubs from the beginning.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
Sasuke IS quite powerful. He doesn't fight many other characters head on, but he SHOULD be a match for most of them, and is consistantly greater-than or equal to Naruto in many ways, and would crush him if not for the nine-tails component, Sharingan aside.

The Sharingan is also quite useful. It does let him copy moves, as he does with spoiler[Lee's taijutsu in the Chuunin exams, and Kakashi's Chidori, it's just that many of the people he fights do not use copyable jutsu (you can't copy bloodline limits or such things). It also allowed him to dupe much of Lee's hard-earned speed, and later it allows him to effectively slow down perceptive time/predict the near future, similar to bullet-time in the matrix. ]

So basically, Sasuke is the genius of his generation. Through hard work and skill, he has a greater mastery of ninja technique than anyone else should be exacted to have at his age (if not as much as his brother did), he just isn't the star of the show, so the focus is rarely on him.
Luminal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
prettygirl wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:

Damn it!!! Spoilers dude, spoilers!!! Use the spoiler tag!!!

Sasuke and Naruto fight?!?! Sigh... I hadn't watched up to there yet. Crying or Very sad

There is no way you wouldn't have seen that coming. They had been itching to fight each other ever since spoiler[the chouning exam] when Sasuke tells Naruto he wants to fight him too.

Luminal
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
Azathrael wrote:

Azathrael, no the US airing of this series has just recently began probally only to episode 20 or so? At least put a f''n spoiler["EPISODE 125 SPOILER"] before your tags.

I've been keeping up with the fansub releases as well, I just don't want you ruin the show for those who are watching the UNITED STATES release of this series. I don't think you would have appriciated someone telling you what happens spoiler[100] episodes after the one you're currently up to when you watching the fansubs from the beginning.

Are you an idiot? What exactly did I spoil? I didn't give any details as to what actually happened, I only said that his questions were already answered in the anime and manga. And, in fact, I did put a huge spoiler tag right underneath that post describing the details of what happened. So why don't you go re-educate yourself about sentence comprehension before you come backseat moderating. Because if it indeed was considered a spoiler, a moderator would've edited it already.
patch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Are you an idiot? What exactly did I spoil? I didn't give any details as to what actually happened, I only said that his questions were already answered in the anime and manga. And, in fact, I did put a huge spoiler tag right underneath that post describing the details of what happened. So why don't you go re-educate yourself about sentence comprehension before you come backseat moderating. Because if it indeed was considered a spoiler, a moderator would've edited it already.

I know you used a spoiler tag, but I was saying that you should have made some indiciation on HOW BIG the spoiler was. You missed my whole point since you were getting huffy and puffy without trying to understand.

It's obvious that prettygirl is just starting to watch the series, and I'm sure many others here are watching the show for the first time on Cartoon Network. They might check whats underneath the spoilers and just think its a minor spoiler, but what you posted doesn't happen around another spoiler[100] episodes and is a huge storyline element.

The point is just use some common sense and common courtey let them know how big of spoiler it underneath, especially when it happens spoiler[4] seasons after what the US audience is currently watching.
prettygirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Sasuke IS quite powerful. He doesn't fight many other characters head on, but he SHOULD be a match for most of them, and is consistantly greater-than or equal to Naruto in many ways, and would crush him if not for the nine-tails component, Sharingan aside.

The Sharingan is also quite useful. It does let him copy moves, as he does with spoiler[Lee's taijutsu in the Chuunin exams, and Kakashi's Chidori, it's just that many of the people he fights do not use copyable jutsu (you can't copy bloodline limits or such things). It also allowed him to dupe much of Lee's hard-earned speed, and later it allows him to effectively slow down perceptive time/predict the near future, similar to bullet-time in the matrix. ]

(Note: Just in case some of you don't know, Naruto underlined is in reference to the anime. Naruto by itself is in reference to the character)

The thing is, Naruto started out with Sasuke being evidently "special" in that everyone wants to know who he is and wants to fight him. I thought he was so cool Embarassed and had such high hopes for him. But as I continued to watch the series, I felt him becoming weaker and weaker. I didn't like that very much. I know the anime isn't supposed to center around Sasuke but I expected him to grow in strength, not stay the same.

Furthermore, in response to your point about being a match for most of his opponents and Sasuke being greater-than or equal to Naruto, how do you explain this? spoiler[Sasuke cannot beat Gaara using his somewhat useless "chidori" but Naruto can. I mean, so far, the chidori hasn't helped him at all. I guess Naruto's nine-tail fox chakara helped him but there's another episode. It's the one where Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura are protecting Morino Idate. Sasuke can't do anything against Aoi... but Naruto can?!?! Naruto doesn't even use the nine-tail chakara! How is it even possible that Naruto beat someone Sasuke can't.]
Luminal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
prettygirl wrote:

The thing is, Naruto started out with Sasuke being evidently "special" in that everyone wants to know who he is and wants to fight him. I thought he was so cool Embarassed and had such high hopes for him. But as I continued to watch the series, I felt him becoming weaker and weaker. I didn't like that very much. I know the anime isn't supposed to center around Sasuke but I expected him to grow in strength, not stay the same.

Furthermore, in response to your point about being a match for most of his opponents and Sasuke being greater-than or equal to Naruto, how do you explain this? spoiler[Sasuke cannot beat Gaara using his somewhat useless "chidori" but Naruto can. I mean, so far, the chidori hasn't helped him at all. I guess Naruto's nine-tail fox chakara helped him but there's another episode. It's the one where Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura are protecting Morino Idate. Sasuke can't do anything against Aoi... but Naruto can?!?! Naruto doesn't even use the nine-tail chakara! How is it even possible that Naruto beat someone Sasuke can't.]

In the case when Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura are protecting spoiler[Morino Idate in the tea country, Naruto is able to defeat Aoi ONLY because Sasuke's chidori managed to crack Aoi's sword. If Sasuke had not done that Naruto would have ended at the bottom of the cliff with Sasuke as well. ].

However, it is true that Naruto is slowly growing more powerful than Sasuke, and that is the premise under which (big spoiler for you)spoiler[ Sasuke will seek out Orochimaru, because of his desperation caused by being overpowered by Naruto, who is supposed to be so inferior to him. ]

Luminal
[/b]
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
But that's exactly my point: due to the incredible rarity of him losing it's not about a "weak" protagonist becoming strong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2