• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing Ultimate Artbox

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Is there any way to NOT get the chipboard artbox? It looks like s**t and it completely, utterly messes with the tempo of the shelves I have set up. Not to mention it doesn't have any space for episodes 9 & 10 - whenever they're out.

Is it possible to like email Amazon or Rightstuf and request the standard, regular version of episodes 5-8 - with the slipcover? I really, REALLY don't want to wait even longer because Funimation's marketing department were being idiots and made absolutely no bloody mention of it anywhere. Even now, nothing on Amazon's or Rightstuf's pages say anything about the box. It makes me think if I DO send an email, they won't have any clue what I'm even talking about.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
You could just, ya know..... Throw it away. Confused
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
You could just, ya know..... Throw it away. Confused

I'd still be missing the slipcover. Maybe it's a me thing, but I'm actually quite fond of the red blu-ray strip and Hirano artwork. It helps to set a certain level of consistency with the first set - which Funi apparently flushed down the toilet for God knows what reason.

Last edited by PrecisionCrab on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Altacia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Watching an "Unboxing" video for it...

Does the Volumes V - VIII not come with a slip cover? The art box itself looks nice but in this video the second DVD doesn't have a slip cover so it just looks... Goofy.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
Watching an "Unboxing" video for it...

Does the Volumes V - VIII not come with a slip cover? The art box itself looks nice but in this video the second DVD doesn't have a slip cover so it just looks... Goofy.

Nope. No slipcover. There were some unboxing photos on some sites too, and it doesn't come with a slipcover.

It's just idiotic. Mad

I was gonna buy this on Amazon (cheaper + free shipping), but if a representative from Rightstuf tells me they can send a standard edition, then screw it, they've found themselves a customer.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
You'll likely have to wait until the Limited Edition sells out. After that happens, Funi usually releases a Regular Edition (same product code but with "alt" added) which is the keepcase with a slipcover.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
^ Thats right. FUNi's LE artbox's encompass the entire first print run of a release. Wait a few weeks, months, or however long it takes for it to sell out, and they'll release a standard version.

Personally, despite my disappointment at the lack of a slipcover (and lack of space for Part 3), I found the chipboard artbox to be a pleasant surprise. I thought the higher-than-Part-1 MSRP was odd, but this explains it, and since there wasn't any kind of mention or announcement of the box prior to release, I suppose it was a last-minute decision.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Alright. What about this - can't I just send Funi an email or request just for the slipcover in the mail? I figure if I start citing stuff like false marketing (which it is), they'll oblige.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Let me say something, if I may:

*ahem*

You are getting angry and irate.... over a two-millimeter thick piece of cardboard.

Honestly? That's..... really rather sad.

Sad, and kinda pathetic. Confused

If it was an issue with the disc or the film itself, that would be one thing, but this is about the PACKAGING. I like a nice looking box as much as anyone, but when it all boils down to it, it's the movie itself that's important. I've been waiting for Hellsing Ultimate V-VIII for four years now. At this point, they could give it to me in a ziploc bag and I'd be happy.

Now there's nothing wrong with a little nitpicking over the packaging. I myself was a bit disappointed that they didn't use a red bluray case instead of a blue one. But ya know what? I got over it. It didn't make me furiously enraged like this seems to be making you.

I think if this is truly, honestly making you as upset as it seems to be, then in my personal opinion... you've got a little growing up to do.

Psh, you otaku-types and your "deluxe packaging". Laughing
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Alright. Then I guess I'll make this really simple. Wink

I'm either getting my slipcase, or I'm pirating it. No in-between, no buts, no "raging." Not very complicated either.

That's what they get for falsely advertising and bamboozling me. There is no "growing up" required on my part. Why should I play ball with a company that's stringing me? The fact is, I won't. I'm either getting what I'm paying for, and what's advertised, or they're losing on it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
^ The thing is, you're not getting less than you paid for, the box probably cost more to make than the slipcover, as the increased MSRP would suggest. You were expecting a standard release, and are complaining because you got something MORE, in this case an LE chipboard box? Rolling Eyes

Also, not sure what you mean by saying the box looks like s**t. I guess it all comes down to personal opinion, but I've found all of FUNi's LE boxes to be fantastic quality and very nice looking.

If you really want to, go ahead and shoot them an email. It can't hurt. But you weren't "bamboozled" by any means, all pre-release artwork and solicitation information is subject to change, and while it doesn't happen often, It seems thats what they did this time, choosing to upgrade the release to an LE box.

I'm sorry to hear that you would turn to piracy over such a seemingly insignificant issue. But before we resort to that, heres a thought, and you could actually make some money off this. Get the LE, save it, and once it sells out and the standard edition is released, pawn it off on eBay or the Amazon Marketplace for an inflated price. Most of FUNi's LEs seem to increase in value quite a bit after going OOP, so you could sell it for more than it originally cost you to buy it.

Or, y'know, just pass on this and wait for the eventual non-LE release. Either way, it would involve "patience" which many people seem to be lacking in these days.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
I'm either getting my slipcase, or I'm pirating it. No in-between, no buts, no "raging."

This is raging.

This is raging hard.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too crazy about the design of the box as I don't like the white at the bottom and would have preferred full size art. Still I'm happy to get a box. I don't know what they are planning to do with vol 9 & 10, but I hope they are consistent and gives us a box with that too otherwise that would be annoying.

PrecisionCrab wrote:
I'm either getting my slipcase, or I'm pirating it. No in-between, no buts, no "raging." Not very complicated either.

This is hilarious you are going to pirate not over a cardboard box, but because you wont be getting a slipcover which is cheaper and made out of cardstock (basically thick paper). While I can understand your disappointment in the packaging your response (to pirate) seems a tad extreme. As others have pointed out Funimation consistently releases cheaper versions down the line which do not come with boxes and will probably have your fervently desired slipcover.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
You were expecting a standard release, and are complaining because you got something MORE, in this case an LE chipboard box? Rolling Eyes

More is not always better. In this case, it ruins the tempo of my blu-ray shelves as well as the consistency set by the first set.

In any case, I really don't need anything more on this board. I obviously overstimated the populace. You guys are perfectly content with being misinformed and falsely advertised. And apparently my pointing this out and not conforming to it counts as raging hard.

I'll be contacting the retailers and asking for information, as well as sending an inquiry to Funimation's website directly. If I don't see a slipcover one way or another, they won't be seeing me as a customer one way or another until I see what I want to see. But that said, I will be watching these episodes on the 13th. Can't get any more clearer than crystal.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
If I don't see a slipcover one way or another, they won't be seeing me as a customer one way or another until I see what I want to see. But that said, I will be watching these episodes on the 13th. Can't get any more clearer than crystal.

Sounds like a threat Funimation! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2