• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
better dubs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Not this is not a look into what is better sub or dubs, (Too many already) rather I am looking for Movies that have excellence dubs since my GF refused to watch anime if it not in English. So what are the better choices? She thought Steamboy was pretty good, and Ji-Roh was too political focus for her to care. So what my best bet? Spirit Away? Any help very much appreicated.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big dubber myself. If it has a good dub, I watch it dubbed. If I watched it in english first, I continue with that. I only watch subs if I've seen it subbed before dubbed, or if the dub is majorly bad(not to common now =) )

Anyway, Princess Mononoke I think might be good. It has some romance, is quite epic and is a wonderful movie as well as(I think) a good dub. Some pretty big actors in this one.

I thought the second vampire hunter D movie wasn't bad. The first the dubbing was kind of..eh..and not to mention, the second movie is better in general anyway.

This is a question to others, but if Grave of the Fireflies has a good dub, you might want to pick that up. I haven't seen it personally but, it seems to be such a good/tear jerker movie that it might be a nice movie to see with your girlfriend, heh.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, most Miyazaki has pretty good dubs

But I think the best dub (that I have heard) is the Cowboy Bebop movie. They're just good, and I don't really know why. Maybe its that the voice matches the character, and they have a nice handle on emotion
plus, its got a French dub track that is also very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:

This is a question to others, but if Grave of the Fireflies has a good dub, you might want to pick that up. I haven't seen it personally but, it seems to be such a good/tear jerker movie that it might be a nice movie to see with your girlfriend, heh.

Grave of The Fireflies is a phenomenal movie, with a fantastic dub! If you want to feel sad, go nuts!
patch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
...snip...I am looking for Movies that have excellence dubs since my GF refused to watch anime if it not in English. So what are the better choices?

I know you said movies, but have her watch the dub of episode 1 of Samurai Champloo. Each episode plays out like a short film, and also 22 minutes so not much to sit through to get hooked Smile In terms of voice acting, great performance by Steve Blum of course.

For movie, I'd recommend watching the Animatrix. Again, take your pick on a short film (I recommend Kid's Story to start), and if she likes, can watch the rest. The actual actors from the Matrix came back to reprise there characters in the anime.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I feel as Azumanga Daioh has a very nice dub, as well as Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop... Trigun... Wolf's Rain and Ghost in the Shell, to name my favorites off. I find them to be so good that I don't bother watching the sub. (... wow, I didn't even realize it when I wrote it, but all these shows air on Adult Swim.... ... except Azumanga Daioh Anime hyper)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote
If we're strictly talking about movies:

Most Miyazaki films have good English dubs, especially Spirited Away and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. (Princess Mononoke was a mixed bag for me, as I didn't like Moro in either language and thought a couple of other English castings were a little off.) Grave of the Fireflies is fine in English, as is Escaflowne: The Movie - and you don't need to have seen the series to appreciate that one. I can also recommend Metropolis dubbed, and both of the Armitage II movies were originally dubbed in English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Think some are missing what he's looking for.

Not just good dubs, but good dubs he can watch with his girlfriend who's not into anime.

Some of these recommendations don't make sense to me and if anything would discourage your girlfriend from watching anime in the future.
miu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Not just good dubs, but good dubs he can watch with his girlfriend who's not into anime.

Depends on how "not into anime" she is. Pretty much everyone likes Miyazaki, but other than that I can't think of any title that will appeal to nearly everyone.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne most definitly. The dub voices were all on point and believeable. Not only that but having never seen the series itswlf, I enjoyed and still enjoy that movie every time I've seen it (I've only seen it 4 times but who cares). The audio was dope too. Princess Mononoke was good too even though Ashitaka's was the only voice that didn't match the character that well. But if its your girlfriend I guess you'd be safe with Spirted Away.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd definately reccomend Spirited Away. My sister loves it and she's not much of an anime fan. She also liked Princess Mononoke.

I'd also suggest the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie. It's cute and the new dub cast is wonderful. It's been a while since I've watched it, but I think it can be enjoyed if you haven't seen the series. (Being familiar with it does help, of course.) However, avoid the dub of the first movie. They used the Cardcaptors cast.

Gonna have to agree with the Cowboy Bebop movie, too. Excellent cast and music and wonderful animation.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
if she'll watch it, akira had a pretty good dud, Johnny Young Bosh did a kick ass job. Most Miyazakis have great dubs and Escaflone as well.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
To be honest: Spirited Away has NEVER been screened at my house where the participants enjoyed it. In fact, it usually gets HEAVILY made fun of afterwards. The movie is VERY much deeply embedded in Japanese culture which makes it difficult for alot of "non anime lovers" to get a grip on. Plus the girl that does the dub voice is horribly annoying. I believe its the same little girl that did Lilo in Lilo and Stitch. Ugh.

With that said: Almost everyone enjoys Princess Mononoke. The enviromental spin is something that everyone can identify with. But even better is Nausicaa: And the Valley of the Wind. A terrific, terrific movie with a glorious new dub. It's just perfect.

Try Castle In the Sky as well, surprisingly engaging and The Cat Returns! Yes, definitely The Cat Returns! This is a very fun and whimsical movie that plays out like a fairy tale. The dub is superb, with the ever lovable Cary Ewles (sp?) as the Baron. What a great voice: what a great movie. Beautiful and easy to get into.

For series these are some that NON anime fans enjoyed: Fruits Basket has a great dub and a heart warming story. All the characters are very personable. Pretear is a magical girl show with some meat behind it and Kaliedo Star also has a good dub and is a vibrant show to watch.

Oh and just for the record: I usually watch a show dubbed first and then subbed...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
First off I'd recommend any anime using the Bang Zoom people for dubbing. Bandai and Geneon use them frequently and they're pretty damn good at what they do. Take Tsukihime: Lunar Legend, Gungrave, Witch Hunter Robin, and Scrapped Princess for example.

Funimation has done excellent work on the Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Gunslinger Girl's dubs. Despite ther're past they've really turned arround.

ADV has done incredible work with Elfen Lied, Madlax, Full Metal Panic, Noir and RahXephon. They've all got excellent dubs at least in my opinion and great sound as well.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow thanks for all the awesome advice from everyone, I went ahead and added Princess Mononoke to my netflix list so hopefully when it comes I have something to good to watch with her instead of watching another chick flix for the nth-million time. Also I didn't like the dub that much of Voice of a Distant Star, but she was really sad during the movie (In part because I am leaving for Abroad study soon so I think it home for her) do you think The place promise in our early day will be a good choice? I mean I got the dang hitting on my shelf waiting to be play.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2