• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Calling all Tenchi fans!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danth78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys! I'm not a huge anime fan in general, but I absolutely love and adore Tenchi Muyo. I thought this series was pretty popular back in its time, but the fandom now seems totally dead! Is there even one Tenchi fansite or forum on the internet I can visit? I haven't found one. If there isn't one, we need to make one.

I can find a ton of Macross sites, but no Tenchi, and that's weird. If anyone knows some good Tenchi forums, or wants to make one, or just wants to talk about Tenchi here, let's sound off.

I guess I'll start. I have such a soft spot for Tenchi Muyo, probably because it was the second anime I really fell in love with, after Robotech. Back around '92 or '93, when I was around 15, I talked my mom into taking me to a small anime convention in Fresno, CA. That's where I saw Tenchi for the first time, being played at the convention. It looked awesome! The characters and animation were so beautiful and the action was so weird! Cat-rabbits that turned into spaceships?! Anime was way too expensive for me then, but I eventually rented some Tenchi VHS tapes the next time I was in Fresno, when I was around 17. I loved them. The intro theme was so cool and mysterious, and the ending animation was so happy and funny. And of course, Ryoko was awesome.

For me, Tenchi represents something new and beautiful and exotic, even though they're over ten years old and I have almost all of the series on DVD. It's a serious nostalgia trip.

Sorry for the sentimental drivel. Ahh, feels good to get it out, though. If you want to talk about Tenchi, lay it on me!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Try this site or Wikipedia (with the usual Wikipedia "grain of salt" caution) or the Tenchi Muyo feature on this very site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danth78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks man. For some reason google couldn't find those sites. I appreciate it!

So, looks like you're the only other Tenchi fan...?
AnimeGreen0813

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi was the main reason I got back into anime. For me the OAVs are the best, the Universe series is okay, and the Tokyo series really SUCKS!!! GXP is hilarious but I don't have it all yet and I don't have any of the third OAV yet. I have all of the Tenchi manga and some merchandise(dolls,keychains,etc.) and yes, Ryoko IS awesome!!!! Cool
Bosque

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
You Dant are right, Tenchi seems forgotten now, and i think it's cause Tenchi, now, presents nothing new to new fans. I mean, the Tenchi-formula has been sooo over-exploded since it appeared by other companies and AIC itself that, if you see it now, 13 years after, with 13 years of anime imitating and copying it, it's not as original/ new/ great art/ well animated/ complex story as it could be if you saw it in 1992 or 1998 or something...
I mean, think about a fan that started watching anime in 2000, probably he'll watch, before any Tenchi, some newer/ more popular in 2000 harem anime, and then another new-harem anime, and another and another, so when he watchs Tenchi, it'll be "one more of those series", fortunately, nobody has been so shameless as to copy any Juraian Ship/ tree-cabbit-spaceship/wooden mecha or any weird thing like that, so it may still being original (at leas a bit) for people that may see it a bit tale Wink
And i thank to the goddesses that i saw Tenchi Muyo! before it was too late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:
I mean, the Tenchi-formula has been sooo over-exploded since it appeared by other companies and AIC itself that, if you see it now, 13 years after, with 13 years of anime imitating and copying it, it's not as original/ new/ great art/ well animated/ complex story as it could be if you saw it in 1992 or 1998 or something...
Although the formula for Tenchi has been around for a long time. It just that the multiple of series popularised down to the point where it's so overdone.

The other think that killed tenchi for me was the multiple universes that tenchi is in. Like I think we have counted at least 5 different tenchi continuities.

And finally I just could not stomach the air style from Tenchi In Toyko. It was nice to age the characters, but every thing looked Ugh......

If the price is right, one of these days I might pick up Tenchi OVA, Universe and Tenchi In Love. Not sure about the rest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1