• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Shonen Jump Manga by All-Time Volume Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
I think Oda has more than earned his authority to end the series when he wants to. I HIGHLY doubt that the Shonen Jump editors would push him any further to continue if he didn't want to. It would be like demanding Yoshihiro Togashi to continue with HunterxHunter from his hiatus.

I'm also going to have to strongly disagree about the weak plot and underdeveloped characters. I think it would be more appropriate to say that characters have the same quirk and qualities throughout the series' 68 volume run. Each character of the Straw Hat crew had their respective time of development throughout the series. Rather, you begin to understand why they are, in ways, the type of individual they've become up to the current point in the series. One Piece's first 60 volumes literally take place within a smaller span of time compared to say, the likes of Naruto. Naruto had a 2 year time skip at Volume 28. One Piece at about halfway into Volume 61.

In many ways, One Piece in itself is like the earlier adventuring days of Dragon Ball expanded into a much bigger and diverse world with different themed locales/islands. A lot of the more contemporary Shonen like Bleach and Naruto takes a lot of the visual flair and epic battles from the latter half of Dragon Ball (or Dragon Ball Z as it's more famously known). In a sense, we have these sort of "sub-genres"of Shonen. I think it's mostly agreed upon the common theme is getting stronger/battling strong opponents. But each each respective series' generally goes about it different ways depending on the stories. People can try to clump Shonen into a sort of stereotype (because it certainly has them), but there's enough variety to appeal to everyone. Even if you don't end up enjoying one series, there's likely another one that you will end up enjoying. As for me, I'm pretty much a Shonen Junkie.
Lolack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
so why does kochikame not have any increase?
Hospodar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

That's why I prefer "top selling volumes" instead. Judging how high the highest selling volume in each series sold.

Isn’t the highest selling Volume always the first one?
Just look at average sales per Volume. It’s easy to do the math.
andyseed wrote:

Most likely not because DB is over 200 million if you count international sales (or 300 can't remember right now ).

If I remember right it is 350 Million. Could be wrong.

dragon695 wrote:

No. Oda will fall, too. One Piece is a fad, some last longer than others. Even One Piece will out stay its welcome one of these days.

I think you are underestimating the place One Piece has in Japan culture. In a documentation they used a word that means Japan identifies itself with One Piece. The only other Manga for what they use that word is Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball is still incredible popular. New Games and tons of merchandise are still produced and that 20(?) years after it finished. One Piece is basically everywhere there. From the normal merchandise to One Piece food, bars and restaurants, to auto navigation and public transportation, to handys etc.
dragon695 wrote:
His proclamations of only being halfway done are idiotic and asking for trouble. He should wrap it up while he's still on top.

Do you even read the Manga? They crossed the literally half way point of their journey only a few months ago. Everybody who reads the Manga knows they are only on the half way point.
The Manga readership jumped because of the War arc and the movie strong world from 2 Million to 3 Million. Those new reader and old readers who stopped at one point bought their missing volumes. So through backdoor sales it reached 50+ Million sales in a year,
This year, because only around 100 000 people are buying old volumes it will probably be only around 20-30 Million new sales.
Even if 50%, this means half of the readers ship decides to drop Manga it will still sell 1.5 Million per copy which means it will dominate the top of every Top selling chart.
Not to forget that in 20-30 years when One Piece actually ends it will gain all the lost readers back and once again break every sales record.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I've heard he's already added stuff from his original outline

Before he started the Manga he had the main storyline thought out. He thought he will take 5 years to tell it but the story grew bigger and bigger and that man has no time management. He once said that a crew member will die “this” year but in reality it took more than 3 years to get to the scene.
He adds constantly new sub plots and new characters. Alone this arc he foreshadowed like 8 new shadowed characters which will come to play at one point. Even if he would not add new sub plots but only close the existing ones he would take at least 10 years to end the manga. With new characters etc one can expect the story to go on for 20-30 years.

Son-kun wrote:
I think Oda has more than earned his authority to end the series when he wants to. I HIGHLY doubt that the Shonen Jump editors would push him any further to continue if he didn't want to.

From this point onward the One Piece Manga will sell about 20 Million copies every year. Make the math and find out how much money they get ALONE from the Manga. Not even taking the amount of merchandise sales(which are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge) into account. Not to forget the importance of One Piece for selling Shonen Jump.
If they can they will try to push him because those are LARGE amounts of money we are talking about here for every year it continues. But reading the interviews from Oda he always thinks of his readers and he will tell a story and when he thinks he has told his story he will end it.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I've heard he's already added stuff from his original outline

Before he started the Manga he had the main storyline thought out. He thought he will take 5 years to tell it but the story grew bigger and bigger and that man has no time management. He once said that a crew member will die “this” year but in reality it took more than 3 years to get to the scene.
He adds constantly new sub plots and new characters. Alone this arc he foreshadowed like 8 new shadowed characters which will come to play at one point. Even if he would not add new sub plots but only close the existing ones he would take at least 10 years to end the manga. With new characters etc one can expect the story to go on for 20-30 years.

One Piece holds a special place in the manga section of my heart and I trust in Oda's skills, but this is the main reason I worry about One Piece's ending. There are so many different characters and plot threads that will need to be resolved. I think Oda will be able to do it and do it well, but that's still a massive undertaking with a lot of room for error.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
One Piece plot is both cyclic and sequential, with lots of foreshadowing and flashbacks, both used constantly for it to never be boring.

The cyclic part is the tried and winning adventure formula of visiting a place (island) at once, meeting people, fighting, leaving for the next island (I'm simplifying here, of course). Each of these story arcs can be more or less entertaining, mostly according to personal tastes since each one is objectively good, when not great, but each one is important in the overall, sequential plot.
Said sequential plot isn't cyclic of course, but has a starting point (Luffy's resolve to become a pirate, mostly thanks to Shanks' example but there is more to it, something readers only learn about much later), a middle, turning point (the Marine Ford story arc), and the ending point (the manga ending). This progressive part of the plot is the most interesting, but only actual readers of the manga can fully grasp it, and to the others (more superficial or occasional readers) the manga can seem too simple or even random (both things it isn't at all).

Even I didn't grasp for long how actually well-written One Piece is, and up to the Marine Ford arc I wasn't sure I liked the lack of characters development in its plot. But characters development is there, only it's stretched on a longer span of time, and given that many characters are already adults you can't expect them to develop much; instead you learn, little by little, their motivation and reasons they are who they are. It's a really good way for story-telling, more effective and more original than most manga, but it requires more patience and attention from the readers.

For example, we had to wait almost 60 volumes to have a major character development for the main character himself, but when the right moment came, Oda delivered in an exceptional way: the arc centred on Luffy and his past, after so many arcs focused on one or more of his nakama, will be surely be remembered as one of the best group of chapters every made in any manga and, maybe, comic in general.

One Piece is a masterpiece, at least a potential one. Even if a humble person (or so he seems to me) Oda must know it and, anyway, he loves it too much to ruin it. Heck, everybody in Japan loves One Piece! I bet... or at least I hope even Jump's editors won't force Oda's hand and make him ruin it. It happened with Dragon Ball, is happening with Naruto, in my opinion, but it must not happen with One Piece. It would be a shame... scrap that, a crime, for such a gorgeous manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me that's copypasta. Otherwise I think I found a fanbase worse than bronies when it comes to over glorifying their show with praise.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
^ Think what do you want, I wrote it myself and it didn't take too long, either.
Maybe you could just save your time instead than writing useless messages in a forum. At least, I tried to explain some (of the many) reasons One Piece is so successful... or do you think an average manga could be so popular, just because? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Heck, everybody in Japan loves One Piece! I bet... or at least I hope even Jump's editors won't force Oda's hand and make him ruin it. It happened with Dragon Ball, is happening with Naruto, in my opinion, but it must not happen with One Piece. It would be a shame... scrap that, a crime, for such a gorgeous manga.

Uh, last I checked Dragonball and Naruto were both beloved and popular in Japan. It sounds like you're creating false scenarios to put your own series on a pedestal.
iloveoov

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
Heck, everybody in Japan loves One Piece! I bet... or at least I hope even Jump's editors won't force Oda's hand and make him ruin it. It happened with Dragon Ball, is happening with Naruto, in my opinion, but it must not happen with One Piece. It would be a shame... scrap that, a crime, for such a gorgeous manga.

Uh, last I checked Dragonball and Naruto were both beloved and popular in Japan. It sounds like you're creating false scenarios to put your own series on a pedestal.

what exactly that you are trying to say? she never said that sound like DB and Naruto are not beloved or unpopular in Japan?
and sound like you don't live in Japan to me.. One Piece is everywhere.. One Piece is a culture there replacing DB.. and that is true.. i don't believe it either at first thinking that it just OP fan wanker but it is the truth.. when the first my uncle who is a big fan of Naruto and a OP hater asked a japanese lady work at Narita Airport about Naruto, she quite shock because a foreigner know about Naruto instead OP. she don't read manga or watch any anime but she know OP..
Hospodar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Luckily I found the source of my statement while goggling:

http://onepiecepodcast.com/blog/2011/03/07/episode-159-one-piece-banzai/

On this Podcast starting from 2,22 Greg(someone who lives in Japan for quite some time and speaks the language) talks about the popularity of One Piece from back when he first visited Japan, until the sudden increase of One Piece during the strong world time. He speaks about the place in society and culture. It is incredibly interesting if you want to be informed about the popularity of One Piece in Japan.

It is an hour long, so if you don’t want to listen to all of it, start exactly at 11 Minutes for the quote I referenced.

I neither live in Japan nor do I speak the language so I can’t really say much to it or about the place of Naruto in Japanese society but One Piece only gained that Japanese phrase which basically means “cultural idol status with what the whole country is identifying themselves with” after the increase of popularity during the strong world stuff.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
slam dunk and one piece are my two favorite jump series; glad to see them in the top five most popular.
ridiculus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:

I neither live in Japan nor do I speak the language so I can’t really say much to it or about the place of Naruto in Japanese society...

I also don't live in Japan, but I purchase Japanese magazines and mooks and follow Japanese news sites and blogs, and I can tell you that One Piece and Naruto are not in the same dimension of popularity AND (especially) cultural recognition. I don't hear much talk about Naruto except in the polls at elementary or middle schools. Now, I don't want to pick up a fight here with OP or Naruto fans, because I follow neither of those titles, but the facts are the facts, whichever title you may like more.

Hunter x Hunter, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Slam Dunk, too, attract more attention from the media than Naruto does (taking into the account that the third series is finished a long time ago).
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
iloveoov wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

what exactly that you are trying to say? she never said that sound like DB and Naruto are not beloved or unpopular in Japan?

Sariachan wrote:
... make him ruin it. It happened with Dragon Ball, is happening with Naruto

Saying that something has been ruined strongly implies that you think that it is no longer beloved and popular.

Quote:
and sound like you don't live in Japan to me.. One Piece is everywhere..

TitanXL never said that One Piece is not popular. He said that Dragon Ball and Naruto are still popular, and that is supported by the article that is being discussed here.
Dragon Ball is number two for this year and Naruto is number four. And Naruto's sales have increased over last years.
That does not seem to me to be the performance of something that has been ruined.

As for me personally I do not read any of those.
The only title on the list that I have been following is Bleach, and I am way behind on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iloveoov

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
iloveoov wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Sariachan wrote:
... make him ruin it. It happened with Dragon Ball, is happening with Naruto

Saying that something has been ruined strongly implies that you think that it is no longer beloved and popular.

erm nope... what Sariachan never even imply something like that.. she just talking about that famous myth surrounding DB that say that Akira Toriyama wanted to end DB far earlier but WSJ editor keep pushing him to write more (same thing tat you can read in Bakuman).. hell one of most famous myth regarding that was the one that said Akira want to end DB after Cell arc. this myth happen because fans don't like the story of DB after that at that time. and off course this is just happen in the international fandom.. so fans blame it all on those continuations.. thats what i believe Sariachan was talking about. same with Naruto case. some fans don't like Naruto after the timeskip or Pain Invasion Arc or Kage summit Arc.. they blaming it on Kishimoto and WSJ keep milking the series..

Quote:

Quote:
and sound like you don't live in Japan to me.. One Piece is everywhere..

TitanXL never said that One Piece is not popular. He said that Dragon Ball and Naruto are still popular, and that is supported by the article that is being discussed here.

nope never said or implied that he said One Piece is not popular..
i just telling him that One Piece is popular in Japan and Sariachan didn't have to belittle other manga (and she didn't in her post) to talk about OP popularity in Japan.

Quote:

Dragon Ball is number two for this year and Naruto is number four. And Naruto's sales have increased over last years.
That does not seem to me to be the performance of something that has been ruined.

As for me personally I do not read any of those.
The only title on the list that I have been following is Bleach, and I am way behind on that.

once again all those "ruin" talk is all about the mangaka and publishers keep milking those famous franchises. nothing to do with DB and Naruto popularity were ruin or becoming unpopular in Japan at all.. if you got confuse reading my post i can understand, it because of my bad english but Sariachan as clear as a sky talking about publisher ruin the franchises in her post.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is extremely popular in Japan.

Dragon Ball is more popular worldwide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5