• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Shonen Jump Manga by All-Time Volume Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwEeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
the only reason one piece beat dragonball is because they don't stop making one piece......

I love Dragonball, grew up on it (early eighties french dubs and translations, thank you Club Dorothee! I was able to watch a lot of anime as a kid while not being/knowing japanese) and it has a not to be underestimated place in history, but... it also has many faults and was getting seriously drawn out by the end.

One piece took the good points of it but is way more diverse and has a richer setting. It never completely focuses on one thing, keeping a good balance of action, humor & drama. Oda is also king in foreshadowing, to the point sometimes you ask yourself if he really had it all planned or not.

Also it has something going that not many manga/serials have: globally it becomes better the further it goes on, which keeps the early adopters interested and buying while constantly adding new readers to the readers base. Which is something that can't be said about Dragonball as it turned duller and more repetitive the longer it went on and probably would have gone the way it goes for Bleach now. Dragon Ball's story was way over due by it's final volume (Akira Toriyama had planned to end it way sooner but agreed to continue due it's success), One Piece is at mid-point and it doesn't feel forced at all.

All the respect to Akira Toriyama, he made something legendary. But Eiichiro Oda has deservingly surpassed him in many ways with One Piece.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Kurumada's original Saint seiya (And Ring Ni Kakero.. even though no one asked haha) is still Shueisha owned..
BUT Saint Seiya Episode G, Lost Canvas and NEXT Dimension are owned by Akita Shoten..

Just to add to this point, Shueisha owns essentially anything Masami Kurumada has ever drawn, even if he originally drew it for another company. That includes B't X, which was originally published by Kadokawa Shoten but the bunko re-release was doen by Shueisha-subsidary Home-Sha, and Aoi Tori no Shinwa (also Kadokawa) & Evil Crusher Maya (originally published by Enix).

In fact, the only Kurumada-related titles Shueisha doesn't own at this point are the Akita Shoten-published titles, Saint Seiya Next Dimenion, Lost Canvas, Episode G, & Fuma no Kojirou: Yagyu Ansatsu-chou.

As for people wondering if a Jump manga not being in the Top 10 reduces its impact & importance, one just has to remember that Jump has had so many influential titles in its nearly 45 years of existence. Plenty of big Shonen Jump manga didn't make this list, like Fist of the North Star, Kinnikuman, Dr. Slump, Saint Seiya, Ring ni Kakero 1 (the first "mega-hit" Jump ever had, though it's overall sales would only put it around #25 or so), Yu-Gi-Oh!, and a good few others. To be honest, I would prefer to see a Top 25 for something like Jump, since Top 10 only covers so much.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Incredible just how much One Piece gained in a year. It's just going to be further and further apart from the rest of the series as it continued.

Not really, honestly.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Pretty impressive for Toriyama, considering Dragonball only has 42 volumes while One piece has 67.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I knew One Piece was the lead but its difference with Dragon Ball is amazing.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
TwEeD wrote:
I love Dragonball, grew up on it (early eighties french dubs and translations, thank you Club Dorothee! I was able to watch a lot of anime as a kid while not being/knowing japanese) and it has a not to be underestimated place in history, but... it also has many faults and was getting seriously drawn out by the end.

One piece took the good points of it but is way more diverse and has a richer setting. It never completely focuses on one thing, keeping a good balance of action, humor & drama. Oda is also king in foreshadowing, to the point sometimes you ask yourself if he really had it all planned or not.

Also it has something going that not many manga/serials have: globally it becomes better the further it goes on, which keeps the early adopters interested and buying while constantly adding new readers to the readers base. Which is something that can't be said about Dragonball as it turned duller and more repetitive the longer it went on and probably would have gone the way it goes for Bleach now. Dragon Ball's story was way over due by it's final volume (Akira Toriyama had planned to end it way sooner but agreed to continue due it's success), One Piece is at mid-point and it doesn't feel forced at all.

All the respect to Akira Toriyama, he made something legendary. But Eiichiro Oda has deservingly surpassed him in many ways with One Piece.

Great post, I couldn't have said it better. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
TwEeD wrote:
Which is something that can't be said about Dragonball as it turned duller and more repetitive the longer it went on and probably would have gone the way it goes for Bleach now. Dragon Ball's story was way over due by it's final volume (Akira Toriyama had planned to end it way sooner but agreed to continue due it's success), One Piece is at mid-point and it doesn't feel forced at all.

No. Oda will fall, too. One Piece is a fad, some last longer than others. Even One Piece will out stay its welcome one of these days. His proclamations of only being halfway done are idiotic and asking for trouble. He should wrap it up while he's still on top.
andyseed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
TwEeD wrote:
Which is something that can't be said about Dragonball as it turned duller and more repetitive the longer it went on and probably would have gone the way it goes for Bleach now. Dragon Ball's story was way over due by it's final volume (Akira Toriyama had planned to end it way sooner but agreed to continue due it's success), One Piece is at mid-point and it doesn't feel forced at all.

No. Oda will fall, too. One Piece is a fad, some last longer than others. Even One Piece will out stay its welcome one of these days. His proclamations of only being halfway done are idiotic and asking for trouble. He should wrap it up while he's still on top.

He has been on top for the last 10 plus years .
3 to 4 years ago when OP got another boost in sales it was still the best selling manga before then .

Last edited by andyseed on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I agree with Dragon695 on this one. I think it's rare to see a long running series end in a natural feeling way: that the plot of the story having run its course and come to a satisfying conclusion, however much time that takes. But many mangas just keep going and going and going, because there is money to be made, and the plot can be stretched to keep the money coming from the cash cow. And then instead of coming to a proper conclusion, it just... peters out, or some sort of ending is shoe-horned on that doesn't really feel like it flows from what came before it. Or the writer paints himself into a corner, or runs out of inspiration, or it gets stale and the audience moves on to something fresh and new.

I don't want any of that to happen to One-Piece. In fact, I don't like seeing that happen to any story, but the better the story, the more tragic it becomes when something like that happens. Oda seems pretty smart, so hopefully he'll wrap things up without stretching things out too much more (I've heard he's already added stuff from his original outline). I guess we'll just have to see.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
As long as the ending to One Piece is as satisfying as the series has constantly been (despite it's subjective low points), I don't really care how long it takes. I've been really enjoying Jojo's Bizarre Adventure so far (spoiler[Just made it to Part 6 Stone Ocean]) and that series has been going on for far longer than any Shonen Action title I know of.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
One Piece has been following the same formula it has been since day 1. Luffy and the gang arrive on island, fight the bad guy in charge of people, and move on to the next island. It's a slave to its status quo and takes no risks, but it sells well so you can't blame Oda. If you like that format you'll keep liking the series, but unlike other shounen, it's done nothing to really warrant high discussion or debates about its plot twists, characters, and decisions. Oda doesn't develop or alter the main characters in any major ways like in other shounen or have events that change the series forever. I can see how people might grow bored of it or even say it's 'just as good as it always was', because it has been same thing for as long as I've been watching it for better or for worse.
Fullmetal_Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Woah! Awesome! Congrats to Eiichiro Oda and one Piece!

I'm happy to see how high sales are for the series. Oda works really hard and is incredibly dedicated to his fans. This success couldn't be more deserved. One Piece is an epic (I hate overuse of this word, but in this case it applies) masterpiece.

Dragon Ball does deserve credit for innovating and inspiring many shonen series. The series waned in later years and many characters were lost in the shuffle (Piccolo, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Roshi, etc), perhaps the greatest weakness of the series.

I completely agree with the person who says One Piece took all the best and added it's own great qualities.

One Piece is far more than a fad. Statements about One Piece eventually failing simply don't understand the series or Oda. They don't see what's underneath. One Piece is NOT as repetitive as the above post indicates by a longshot. This is only true if you completely ignore all the bigger story elements.

Someone mentioned that One Piece should end now or very soon to preserve it's quality. However, this statement is a completely misguided assessment of the series. There is no possible way to give the series a satisfying conclusion if it ends quickly. The series is nowhere near the end plot-wise and none of the characters are anywhere near the end of their journeys or their respective character arcs. There are tons of side characters whose stories need resolution. Further, we have only barely begun to discover the mysteries of the bigger story.

If you really follow the series, One piece doesn't even end when Luffy becomes Pirate King. Rather, this is simply the beginning and transition into an even bigger story......

"Just as there are those who inherited Roger's will, someday the same will be true for Ace. You may eradicate bloodlines, but their flames will never be extinguished. It has been passed down this way through generations. Someday, someone will shoulder centuries of history and rise to challenge the world. Sengoku, the World Government, fear the great war that will someday engulf the entire world! Though I have no interest in it, when the treasure is found the world will be turned upside down. Someday it will be found. That day will surely come. ONE PIECE DOES EXIST!!!!!!!!!"

Thankfully Oda has fully committed himself to seeing his story through all the way to the end no matter how long it takes. He's going to give fans and his series the ending that One Piece both needs and deserves. It will take many, many years (15+ minimum), but I'm confient Oda will pull it off.

The story telling gets tighter and more intense each arc. The artwork has consistently improved as the series goes along. Nothing about One Piece indicates decline in any way, shape, or form. You can say it's a fad, but no other manga series consistently IMPROVES in quality as it gets further into the series. It's unprecedented for a series to increase in sales by such leaps and bounds so far into it's run.

Honestly, I think the naysayers are completely missing the boat. One Piece is one amazing ride and I'm happy to have been reading for the past nine years. I'll continue to support the series to the very last page and am looking forward to all the amazing story arcs coming down the line. There are hints of some amazing things to come.

I just completely disagree with any assertions that One Piece has a weak plot or undeveloped characters, especially compared to the likes of Naruto, Dragon Ball, and Bleach (I like Naruto and Dragon Ball, not so much Bleach, but more on that later). Characters in One Piece, particularly the Straw Hats have all undergone subtle and gradual growth as they travel through the story. yes, they move from one island to the next by nature of their adventure toward Raftel, but there has been a lot of variety in that "formula", particularly past Water Seven. Beyond this, we have hints of even bigger things to come later in the series.

On an unrelated note, I'm happy to see RuroKen, YuYu, and Hunter x Hunter on the list as well. RuroKen and YuYu Hakusho are both awesome of course. I grew up watching them on Toonami weekday afternoons.

Hunter x Hunter is an amazing shonen series, often incredibly creative and unpredictable (much like One Piece). It's a shame Togashi takes so many hiatuses. The series started in 1997, same year as One piece, but has less than half the total volume / chapter count. I can't wait for the current hiatus to end so we can move on with the next story arc. At least the Chimera Ant story is finally reserved.

As for the other popular current running series, I like Naruto overall. I think it's a good series with moments of greatness. It certainly has its flaws, but more good than bad in my opinion.

Bleach was great through the end of Soul Society to me. It was never story heavy, but I really liked the characters and it had some great action. The series has completely fallen apart in latter years to me.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
One Piece astounds me in how well put together it is. There were characters who were introduced in volume 50 who had appearances in background panels in volume 2. Oda has built such a world in his story, and you end up caring for all of the 100 or so major characters that have been introduced, and you want to see all of them continue appearing and following alongside the plot.

I've bought all 64 published volumes from Viz, and have loved every single one of them. This is a series that I can see running for 150 volumes and still be fantastic for the entire way.

You don't have to read it, and you don't have to like it, but you probably shouldn't be surprised it's where it's at on the list.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
Let me clarify that I was *not* calling for One-Piece to end soon. My comments are aimed at hoping that the plot is not stretched out solely to make more money... like what happened to Dragonball.

Stories have a flow to them, and when they're at their end, they should end gracefully and well. That's all I'm saying.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Let me clarify that I was *not* calling for One-Piece to end soon. My comments are aimed at hoping that the plot is not stretched out solely to make more money... like what happened to Dragonball.

Stories have a flow to them, and when they're at their end, they should end gracefully and well. That's all I'm saying.

If it does continue meaninglessly,dont blame Oda.His family will most likely get tortured by Shonen Jump editors if he doesn't do what they say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5