• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ - my quest to obtain a copy of Rurouni Kenshin Premium Box Set 3 is rapidly becoming a nightmare.

The first stage was when I ordered it from Newbury Comics off of amazon and they sent me the wrong item. But at least I got my money refunded quickly and I didn't have to mail back the wrong item.

Round 2 comes when I order a copy that was listed as "Acceptable" by Apex Media from Amazon.com. Yeah, clearly they have a way different definition of acceptable than I do. All four corners are split down to the base - the lid is attached to the box by a friggin' elastic band. At some point someone taped the lid to the box and remnants of the tape are still there. Eff me.

Oh, but it gets better. Usually, when I order something from a marketplace seller off of Amazon.com, I never get hit with a C.O.D charge. Not this time. Nothing I can do about the $7.25 handling fee, it is what it is. However, the sales tax was $19.11. The item itself was only $49.49 which at 13% (the amount an Ontario resident pays in sales tax) means that the maximum I should have been charged is $6.43. I don't know how in hell that $19.11 was arrived at.

So now I gotta figure out who is responsible for that miscalculation - Canada Post or DHL Globemail (the peeps who actually physically delivered the package to me) and try and get a refund from them. Gee, that outta be fun.

I'm going to mail this piece of shit box back, but I probably won't be refunded my original shipping cost, or the cost of mailing back to them.

Eff, eff, eff.

Oh well, considering the amount of stuff I've bought online, I guess I should consider myself lucky that this is my first really bad experience.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
yeah, Amazon resellers can not only suck, but can really suck out loud at times. Imagine all of the money that'd still be mine if I had the problems with orders you've had of late?!?!
What's your secret?Very Happy

went lookin' for Bandai stuff and ended up with...

Baka and Test Season 1 DVD/Blu-ray Complete Set (Hyb) Limited Edition

Didn't think the Big O would be close to being gone so soon.

Big O DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) (Anime Legends) - ...counter was at less than 20 when I ordered

LiSA CD: Lover"S"MiLE (Import) + Blu-ray Limited Edition
LiSA CD: oath sign (Import) + DVD Limited Edition (Fate/Zero Opening)

Twelve Kingdoms T-Shirt - Youko & Keiki
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay so things are looking a little less dire. I've taped the inside corners of the RK Premium Box Set 3, so now the lid can stay on without using an effing rubber band. Plus, when I get home, I should have no problem getting the tape off the lid because it is made of some kind of hard material (plastic?) that doesn't come away when you peel tape off. I'll have to live with the tape on the part of the box that actually is cardboard since almost certainly the paper would come away. Fortunately, the tape isn't terribly noticeable in those spots. Getting the tape off the lid will go along way to improving the look.

None of this solves the overcharge on my sales tax, though. I was in touch with DHL Globalmail and was told I'd have to go through Canada Post. How much you wanna bet when I try that, Canada Post will tell me I have to go through DHL? Rolling Eyes

Fortunately, the discs themselves look fine. So bottom line is I have a Premium Box Set 3 that doesn't look as great as I would have liked and that I have been charged $12 more in sales tax than I should have been.

Yeah, I guess we can file this one under First World problems.

@ lem - you've given me an idea for a new thread here in the retail section!
Jon182

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Jesus Christ - my quest to obtain a copy of Rurouni Kenshin Premium Box Set 3 is rapidly becoming a nightmare.

The first stage was when I ordered it from Newbury Comics off of amazon and they sent me the wrong item. But at least I got my money refunded quickly and I didn't have to mail back the wrong item.

Round 2 comes when I order a copy that was listed as "Acceptable" by Apex Media from Amazon.com. Yeah, clearly they have a way different definition of acceptable than I do. All four corners are split down to the base - the lid is attached to the box by a friggin' elastic band. At some point someone taped the lid to the box and remnants of the tape are still there. Eff me.

Oh, but it gets better. Usually, when I order something from a marketplace seller off of Amazon.com, I never get hit with a C.O.D charge. Not this time. Nothing I can do about the $7.25 handling fee, it is what it is. However, the sales tax was $19.11. The item itself was only $49.49 which at 13% (the amount an Ontario resident pays in sales tax) means that the maximum I should have been charged is $6.43. I don't know how in hell that $19.11 was arrived at.

So now I gotta figure out who is responsible for that miscalculation - Canada Post or DHL Globemail (the peeps who actually physically delivered the package to me) and try and get a refund from them. Gee, that outta be fun.

I'm going to mail this piece of shit box back, but I probably won't be refunded my original shipping cost, or the cost of mailing back to them.

Eff, eff, eff.

Oh well, considering the amount of stuff I've bought online, I guess I should consider myself lucky that this is my first really bad experience.

Yeah, that definitely sucks and I can sympathize. I usually blame Canada Post for it's crappy handling, but sometimes it's the sellers fault. I have had some bad experiences with Amazon sellers before, and had to eat the cost, as it wouldn't be worth the price of shipping the item back.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit off Crunchy Roll deal of the day.

I have never seen the series and its extremely rare for me to blind buy but I've meaning to check out this series for awhile (I've heard great things). Sure I could have watched it on CR but it was a pretty good deal and this way I'll be able to watch on my TV.
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
After seeing Banner Of The Stars getting real low on Right Stuf, I decided to jump at it. I got:

Crest Of The Stars Complete Collection
Banner Of The Stars Complete Collection
Banner Of The Stars II Complete Collection
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
edit

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Tue May 06, 2014 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit off Crunchy Roll deal of the day.

I have never seen the series and its extremely rare for me to blind buy but I've meaning to check out this series for awhile (I've heard great things). Sure I could have watched it on CR but it was a pretty good deal and this way I'll be able to watch on my TV.

Yes, it's worth it, even though this seems to be what you're getting...

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/7XMm3ow4ZYztFxVauP/browse/item/93654/4/0/0
...which is really a weird sort of set and an ongoing sale (the difference in sale price is the difference CR and TRSI charge for s+h). But it's nice of CR to give it the showcase the Deal of the Day provides.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
This week:

Natsume's Book of Friends series 1 & 2 boxset with bonus Nyanko-sensei bag from NIS America. It's just as lovely as everyone else has already said. I ended up somewhat rearranging my anime shelves to fit this (& the equally gorgeous House of Five Leaves boxset, also from NISA, which had been sitting on my floor propped up against the shelf since its release).

And from RightStuf, some BL manga:
Awkward Silence v02; Tales of the Waning Moon v03 (and wow, this is a lot thicker than the first two volumes); Secret Thorns; Sleepless Nights; and Bad Teacher's Equation v05 (the final volume! I love this series-- better than the same mangaka's Kizuma IMO, and the addition of a sexy bonus one-shot that I'd not seen before in scanlation was much appreciated).

And though not technically "bought" as of yet, I'm so terribly excited about the re-release (and my instant preorder) of this JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 - Jonathan Joestar Chozo Art Collection statue that I had to fangirl about it:

I've been trying to get this strapping (25cm tall) lad for years now. Backorders, stalking eBay & other such sites, etc. So I'm absolutely thrilled to get the chance to order him brand-spankin' new through a legit site. Thank you new JoJo's anime! *cues the chorus of Hallelujah* Please bring many, many more JoJo's figures, both new and re-releases!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I finally exploited TRSI's Sentai Sale, after a week of hemming and hawing, to put in some preorders that I've been interested in. Also one old Media Blasters OVA because... I don't know, I'm dumb that way.

Anime
Bodacious Space Pirates (Collection 1)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Early Reins
Grave of the Fireflies
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion
Penguin Drum (Collection 1)
This Boy Can Fight Aliens!

Bodacious Space Pirates was the first series that I watched weekly on Crunchyroll and I really enjoyed it, some schoolgirl hijinks in the middle that I found tedious notwithstanding. Part of why I ended so fond of it is that I had dismissed it because of its title, which gave me fanservice-heavy expectations that the series came nowhere near, then was shocked into giving it a chance by Zac giving rating the first episode a 5 in the preview guide. It was a really fun series with a space opera feel that I liked and a somewhat remarkable approach to its female characters.

I haven't actually seen anything by Makoto Shinkai since Voices of a Distant Star and I've read some things that give me pause, but I'm really interested in seeing what Children Who Chase Lost Voices is like. From what I've gathered, despite their imperfections, his works deal in themes that I'm drawn to and Children Who Chase Lost Voices should be at least visually engaging.

I ordered Early Reins because... it was only six dollars? I don't know, I just like the OVA format, so I make impulsive, irresponsible decisions about it.

I have a very uncertain attitude toward Grave of the Fireflies. I watched it roughly ten years ago, but wasn't quite affected by it as I expected to. That might have been because I watched it in its mediocre English version. Whatever the case, I feel like its an important enough film to merit a second and very good look. Besides, perhaps this time I'll just have the sense to watch it in Japanese, or the new English dub from Stephen Foster will do it justice... yeah...

I enjoyed the slightly old fashioned aesthetic of Mardock Scramble: The First Compression and it ended on a merciless cliffhanger, so I really want to see it go on in Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion. I'm really glad that they got the Blu-ray version and director's cut for their initial release rather than the delayed release for the first one. I'll be keen to see how it differs from the manga, which I've enjoyed.

I know very little about Mawaru Penguindrum, which is being released under the abbreviated name Penguin Drum for some reason, but I feel pretty confident that I'll enjoy it. I really liked Revolutionary Girl Utena, have seen some very promising signs from what I have learned about it and heard a few raves from sources whom I consider reliable, so I don't think that this is a big risk. I'm not so hopeful about how well the English dub will turn out, but I don't have to put up with it if I don't want to and a really good thing is seldom truly ruined by that. (I speak from experience, I've watched Revolutionary Girl Utena in English and not only lived to tell the tale, but still recognized it as an exceptional series)

I don't have great expectations for This Boy Can Fight Aliens!, but I do find it interesting. I also want to give some support to Sōbi Yamamoto as a new talent, in hopes that she has potential for greater things. Besides, I do have a strange affection for the kind of story that she tries to tell in it and stories with a really intimate scope in general.

I also paid in for a new GotAnime membership. I'd let my old one lapse in September, but the savings it offers on this order would be, if a bit marginally, less than the order itself, besides, I'm sure it'll come in handy again in the future.

Dang, should've added Venus Wars as a tribute to my first days watching anime on the Sci-Fi Channel that was. I knew that I was forgetting something. Ah well, perhaps some other day.

(I also picked a copy of Henry C. Lockwood's Constitutional history of France. Supplemented by full and precise translations of the text of the various constitutions and constitutional laws in operation at different times, from 1789 to 1889 up from Amazon.com, although it is available free from Google, but i suppose that's not of much interest locally.)
SHODAN93

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
If it counts, I just pledged $100 for Masaaki Yuasa's and Production I.Gs Kick-Heart project on Kickstarter. Apparently, this anime won't be sold at retail so pledge while you can for a physical copy.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/production-ig/masaaki-yuasas-kick-heart
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I picked up FUNi's Tenchi Universe set on Friday.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha DVD Box Sets Season 1-7 and the movie Inuyasha: Swords of an Honorable Ruler arrived today from RightStuf. I just couldn't resist the excellent price.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Some manga:

Bakuman 15
Earl and the Fairy 3
Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden 10. Wonder how long it'll be till 11 comes out. 9 came out in November 2009...
Loveless 9
Otomen 13

Last edited by st_owly on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Made some alterations to my rightstuf order:
Added:
AnoHana BD/DVD Premium Edition
Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up BD/DVD Premium Edition
Gundam 08th Ms Team Anime Legends Collection
Gundam Stardust Memory Anime Legends Collection
Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya BD/DVD
Gundam F-91 DVD

Removed/Cancelled:
Gundam 00 Season 2 Anime Legends Collection
Wow what happened to this one? It when OOP FASTTTTTT. Season 1 is gone as well, but it seemed to stick around for a bit longer at least. I managed to get that one and 08th MS Team before they went AWOL, so I'm at least glad for that. Now my rightstuf order is hinging on whether or not they can get more copies of Gundam Stardust Memory, and well AnoHana as well, but I think it's safe to say they WILL be getting copies of that one.

Also, I have Haruhi season 1 and have now ordered the movie.....but is it worth also getting Season 2 and the ~chan mini-episodes as well? Thoughts anyone?

And finally, to make up for the loss of Gundam 00 Season 2, I ordered (at around the same price, brand new, from ebay seller "papermodelstore"):
Gundam 00 Season 2 DVD Parts 1-4

Also got Berserk GN's 23 & 24 from the comic store. I'm officially done shopping there now though. It's just too expensive. Sad

My bank account is in hell right now. Laughing[/b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 965 of 1403