• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Packaging Questions

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
well it was easy enough to just save the pages I was interested in as web archives. now I can read through them on my laptop whenever I want/have a spare moment.

and that booklet for Kimagure only came with the big box set that they released right? I've seen it available for resell but there's simply no way I'm ever gonna pony up that much for a box, even I have my limits when it comes to collecting...
thanks again for your help.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
It's a gatefold digipak.

Ok, thanks. I guess mine's legit then, it looks about 99% the same. The only difference is mine doesn't have the episodes listed above the description on the back and the info grid at the bottom is different, but it uses the same rating and dub/sub symbols as other AnimEigo releases which yours doesn't. Different print runs perhaps?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The Kimagure Orange Road TV series has an interesting history.

AnimEigo licensed it only after they got enough people to commit to buy it to insure it wouldn't be a failure. I became aware of this about the time the first VHS box (first half of the series) and was able to buy it at the last minute. I of course signed up for the second VHS set. I don't remember exactly how the liner notes were presented then.

A year or so later they announced the DVD box with the entire series in a single box. There was a nominal trade in program but I did not participate. In the DVD box set the liner notes are in a single booklet that was in the first DVD case in the box. I gather they later sold the individual disks seperately. However that was not anticipated when the box set came out. I don't know if any of the individual disks had liner notes.

The liner notes for Urusei Yatsura came out in the individual DVD cases on tabbed cards that fit in the case. They only provided liner notes for the first three or four boxes of that series.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
So, the second season of Strike Witches I ordered 8 months ago comes today. Oh look, the LE pricing means it came with an artbox to hold my season one, how nice- wait, no it isn't. This is blu-ray sized, and my season one is the DVD release. So basically, I either come up with $40 to replace season 1, or I have a completely pointless artbox. At least when they do this the other way around you can still put the smaller cases in the artbox...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I fired an email off to Funimation saying it's ridiculous to have a BD-sized box that only benefits the people who waited over two years to buy the show and not the ones who bought the first release. I guess I stick my patch in there. You know, the patch you got when you bought it early enough to grab it off of the first print run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Come on people... We finally got Funimation to put their combo packs in Bluray sized cases. Let's not fuss at them.

There are going to be some transition problems. The Spice & Wolf limited edition looks odd with one Bluray case and one DVD sized combo pack. No matter which you prefer, there are going to be some mismatches. However, I don't see them putting out the limited editions in two different sizes under any circumstances. You can probably find someone to buy that small art box later when the regular edition comes out.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I love BD combo packs in DVD cases. Resale shops put them in the DVD section and I save 10-25% on the buy Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Come on people... We finally got Funimation to put their combo packs in Bluray sized cases. Let's not fuss at them

I actually like it when they put their DVD/BD combo packs in DVD sized boxes because then if something goes wrong, it'd be easy to replace.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
@manicli
If you are talking about the plastic case going wrong, Bluray replacement cases are as easy (or as hard) to find as DVD cases.

While I prefer my Blurays be in the appropriate cases, what I like more it consistancy. Funimation started using Bluray sized boxes about the time they put out the Princess Jellyfish LE. I just hope they stick to one size.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Come on people... We finally got Funimation to put their combo packs in Bluray sized cases. Let's not fuss at them.

But I liked the DVD sized combo packs just fine. Made it easier to file older DVD-only stuff with combo sets.

Alan45 wrote:
@manicli
If you are talking about the plastic case going wrong, Bluray replacement cases are as easy (or as hard) to find as DVD cases.

While I prefer my Blurays be in the appropriate cases, what I like more it consistancy. Funimation started using Bluray sized boxes about the time they put out the Princess Jellyfish LE. I just hope they stick to one size.

DVD cases are east to come by, you can get them in packs at Wal-mart and the like. Blus pretty much require the internet or a speciality store still.

I agree about the consistency- pick something and stick with it, don't make us guess- but some consideration for set consistency is nice too. Princess Jellyfish is new, it can stand alone. Strike Witches has DVD sized companion sets floating around... acknowledgement of that would be nice.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
@ DuelLadyS
Our local Best Buy carries Bluray cases that are single size and hold one or two discs. If you want something to hold more than 2 discs you are going to have to go online in most cases.

I agree that having issued the first half in DVD sized cases, they should have made the LE box for Strike Witches also DVD sized. In both that and Spice & Wolf the Bluray should have come in a DVD case with room for the prior DVDs so both halves of the series could have been both if you had the prior issue.

However, they put them out like they did and that is not going to be changed. I don't know if there are any other series that are going to be messed up by the transition, I don't think so though. I suspect this will be a one time problem. Since they have settled on Bluray sized cases for combo sets I hope they stay with that, what we don't need is another transition back to DVD sized or being inconsistant in the future.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
FUNimation is releasing BD sized artboxes now?? Holy hell I never thought that would happen.

EDIT: My last FUNimation product purchased was Spice & Wolf 2. Maybe a year ago?
lem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
FUNimation is releasing BD sized artboxes now??

I picked up a few. Fractale & Shi Ki are in the BD sized box, Steins;Gate and Sengoku also. Of the latter, one included the pin and the other a calendar.

in addition to Spice & Wolf, Ga-Rei-Zero, DTB, B Gata H Kei are (the ones I have anyway) also in the taller dvd size box. different sizes, shapes, slip cover, sans slip cover, doesn't matter to me 'cause variety is the spice o' life!? Anime smile
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm so curious. I'm going to go to Frys and fondle a couple of these boxes today.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
In addition to what lem mention, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Sekirei and Rideback are in DVD sized art boxes. Cat Planet Cuties, Okami-San and Princess Jellyfish are in Bluray size art boxes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 28