• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Am I the only freak here?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 12:42 am Reply with quote
I have just transcended into a new level of geekiness (as if being an anime fan weren't enough).

I am completely addicted to Dance Dance Revolution.

The arcade in town finally got a copy of it, and just today, my friend and I spent $20, making the weekend cost a total of $40. Please tell me someone else out there also shares the same problem as me? Or do I just have to came to grips with the fact that I'm a bigger geek than I originally thought?
(Sadly, I realize that it would be cheaper for me to just buy my copy for a console, but there's something about the arcade experience that makes it so much better...)

*sigh* If anyone needs me, I'll either be in my room dancing or at the arcade. Again.
RickyChosyu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:11 am Reply with quote
You're not the only one, as sad as that is. I have several friends who own and play the game regularly with the Playstation Dance Pad and everything. They like it so much they even play Street Fighter witht he Dance Pad. There, now do you feel like a freak?

I've tried a few times, and I'm deplorable. I mean, I can't complete "Bumble Bee" on the easiest setting. Then again, I have no rhythm in general, so that's probaly to be expected.
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:45 am Reply with quote
DDR is great. I have the home version, and love it muchly.

I'm just a sucker for rhythm games in general, though. Bust a Groove, Space Channel 5, UmJammer Lammy, DDR... If I didn't despise the very concept, I'd be tempted to pick up Britney's Dance game just because it's compatible with the dance pad.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:52 am Reply with quote
I never tried it myself (although I have just discovered that there is a Dance Dance Revolution machine, the third version, with Korean writing on it for some reason, at the Montreal Paramount cinema), but I should point out that DDR played a prominent role in the hour-long season finale of King of the Hill the other Sunday (except they called it "Dance Party", presumably for legal reasons).

"DANSU!"

How can they do a home version, unless there's a special pressure pad? They've done pressure pads for video game systems all the way back to the NES, but, usually, the only game for the pad was the game which came with the pad, so they were complete rip-offs. But maybe those sorts of accessories get better support in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pilot Zero

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:47 pm Reply with quote
yeah yeah, i know im not alone when i saw "i love DDR" i have home versions DDR and DDR Konamix...along with two pads (and they work just fine Tenchi, except they slip, i duck tape mine to the floor) and im gettin pretty dang good at it. In a wierd turn of events, it tires me out alot after 3 hours of hardcore and i just collapse if i dont drink water. 8O
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:27 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

How can they do a home version, unless there's a special pressure pad?

It seems to have vanished in the 10-day void...

But as I recall, I had said something to the effect of:
You can get cheap pads online at RedOctane.com. I have a pair of their cheapest set ($20 apiece or so, as i recall), and they held up about as well as could be expected.

More expensive pads, obviously, are better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:21 am Reply with quote
*nods Cookie-ward*

RedOctane has all sorts of different pads. Both hard pads and soft pads and covers for them...RedOctane also does video game rentals (imports!! woowoo!!). My husband pretty much lives by RedOctane Wink (And he's a big DDR freak...along with Samba De Amiga, Gitaroo Man, Frequency and all those other kinds of games.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1