• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - U of N

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Since when is the wii a god damn revolutionary system. It was dated before it even came out, it in generally disliked including by a large chunk of people who actually own it. I cant even begin to count how many times wii and paper weight have been said in the same sentence. Its control system was bugged at best, and when all is said and done, both kinect and move are more competent motion system. So where is this revolution exactly?

The Nes, Snes, Ps1 and Ps2, these are revolutionary systems. The wii is probably the worst system to come out since the original xbox, and even then its a coin flip as to which is worse.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Can't say anything on WiiU interests me, though I've given up on pretty much anything Nintendo at this point. I have no interest in all of their gimmicks, and I just want a true gaming experience with traditional controls. My genre of choice, RPGs, don't work with these gimmick controls so I'll never find many games that interest me now on Nintendo systems.

Actually....

http://kotaku.com/5943215/heres-how-the-wii-u-could-make-rpgs-better

Surely at least one of those features piques your interest, no?

Pretty much the fact its dual screen and touch screen ruins it off the bat for me. I just want to play with traditional controls, I don't want all of these new gimmicky controls. Theres nothing wrong with pressing a button to go to the menu, or having the map on the right top part of the screen, or having cutscenes on one screen, etc. The whole idea is just trying to change things for the sake of change. It works now, so theres no reason to try to mess with it.

Then again, I'm a person who loves JRPGs and I don't agree they've gotten worse, which is a minority opinion, so what I think is likely different from a lot of others. I enjoy JRPGs for what they are, not what they aren't, which is why I disliked games like Xenoblade for trying to emulate being a MMO/Wrpg instead of trying to be a good JRPG on its own right. If I wanted to play a MMO or WRPG, theres plenty of other options instead of trying to shoehorn it into JRPGs.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
The 'extra camera angle' made me laugh because I wonder how long until an otaku game where you can use the tablet to look up girls skirts will pop up, or some kind of x-ray thing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Can't say anything on WiiU interests me, though I've given up on pretty much anything Nintendo at this point. I have no interest in all of their gimmicks, and I just want a true gaming experience with traditional controls. My genre of choice, RPGs, don't work with these gimmick controls so I'll never find many games that interest me now on Nintendo systems.

Actually....

http://kotaku.com/5943215/heres-how-the-wii-u-could-make-rpgs-better

Surely at least one of those features piques your interest, no?

Return of D&D Dungeon Master RPGs! Laughing

RyanSaotome wrote:

Then again, I'm a person who loves JRPGs and I don't agree they've gotten worse, which is a minority opinion, so what I think is likely different from a lot of others. I enjoy JRPGs for what they are, not what they aren't, which is why I disliked games like Xenoblade for trying to emulate being a MMO/Wrpg instead of trying to be a good JRPG on its own right. If I wanted to play a MMO or WRPG, theres plenty of other options instead of trying to shoehorn it into JRPGs.

It's not that JRPGs have gotten better or worse; it's just that the majority gaming population has moved on. Remember in the 80's, the type of RPGs all the rage were Wizardry, King's Quest, Ultima, and the like. Then in the 90's and early 00's, it was JRPGs. Since then, it's MMORPGs that got their interest (ah oh my god South Korea!). Take away the pretty girls, JRPGs would probably lose interest in Japan too. So it's just changing population.

TitanXL wrote:
The 'extra camera angle' made me laugh because I wonder how long until an otaku game where you can use the tablet to look up girls skirts will pop up, or some kind of x-ray thing.

I see their reputation precedes them! Laughing
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
Waaait a minute, Tokyo Jungle is $15? I didn't think I'd buy it because I can't be spending 40-60 bucks on a game right now, but $15 is a pretty good price...
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
both kinect and move are more competent motion system. So where is this revolution exactly?

In the fact that you have neither of those things without the Wii, which has still sold more units than the 360 and Playstation 3.

With the WiiU and any other system, the best days always come some time after launch. But the question is, is there enough coming out early to keep you busy and entertained. For me, the answer is yes. The Wonderful 101 looks marvelously creative, Pikmin 3 seems to be cute fun, Mario is Mario. Scribblenauts is a solid brain game, Epic Mickey 2 looks to be an even better platformer than the first minus the annoying camera. Nintendo Land I'm ambivalent about, but we'll see.

Bayonetta 2 rage was hilarious. It's far from the first time something like that's happened, and when the alternative is no game at all...yeah.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Just bought a PS3 for its exclusive titles (Heavy Rain, Uncharted Trilogy, God of War Saga Bundle, Playstation All-Stars, Last Guardian, Sly 4, etc.,) and, more specifically, One Piece: Pirate Warriors being the push. Honestly, I would've purchased a PS3 before the 360 if it weren't for Microsoft's initial focus on JRPG exclusives early in 2006-2007. Since then, MS has pretty much jumped ship on that idea and most of the JRPG "exclusive" titles ended up being ported over to the PS3 anyway with the exceptions of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Either way, PS3's IP titles are far more appealing to me than what Microsoft has been doing lately.

I'm also gonna wait on the Wii U, but I have no doubt that Nintendo will definitely live up to their promise of 3rd Party Support. The 3DS's price drop and assortment of games is a good indicator of that, among other things. So far, Lego City Undercover, Bayonetta 2, and The Wonderful 101 are the games I'm looking forward to the most on that system.

Last edited by Son-kun on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Pretty much the fact its dual screen and touch screen ruins it off the bat for me. I just want to play with traditional controls, I don't want all of these new gimmicky controls. Theres nothing wrong with pressing a button to go to the menu, or having the map on the right top part of the screen, or having cutscenes on one screen, etc. The whole idea is just trying to change things for the sake of change. It works now, so theres no reason to try to mess with it.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one (although I disagree with your opinion about JPRGs, but that's a whole other bag of worms). If I may add: people said similar things about other genres when the Wii first launched, and we saw how that turned out. This controller is a gimmick, just like the wii controller was a gimmick. There will be maybe a handful of titles that use it effectively and most of the best games on the WiiU probably won't use it at all.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
The only games that fully utilize Nintendo's default peripherals are the games Nintendo pubilsh/develop themselves, which in turn, usually end up being the majority of what the best the system offers. There are a dozen exceptions, but are easily ecilpsed by the plethora of other games in the market. There's at least a optional Wii U Pro Controller for those that prefer the traditional way of playing. I think it's a pretty good guess that all Wii U games will that option of playing, especially if the focus of Nintendo is to bring in more core titles in the mix. Not possibly having the option of playing with the Pro Controller for Zelda and other Nintendo mainstays is a mistake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2