• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
#1797 - Liscense and dub errors

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea who added the false info that Saint Seiya the Hades Sanctuary has been both dubbed to spanish and transmitted on TV Azteca and Chilevision but it's beyond falseness.

The anime hasn't even been "officially" liscensed yet!!!!!!!!!

Just last Jan 02 they announced an unofficial liscense between Tower Records and the VA of Seiya in the mexican dub: Jesús Barrero who were discussing issues about the company wanting to make two dubs with different VA's instead of hiring the original cast which is the main reason why Hades isn't officially liscensed yet, but the official notice will soon arrive.

Until then, I think they should remove that phoney info in the Hades page, it confuses people. Even if Hades were already liscensed in Latin-america and they were starting to dub it using the original cast, it won't be premiered until around mid April.

There's still no news regarding the Tenkai-Hen movie being liscensed yet. Right now Tower Records wants to re-release the old 4 movies redubbing the voices that weren't done by the original cast which seems to have been officialy agreed on by TOEI.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
1. I don't know much about Latin American licenses, but it's possible that Mexico and Chile don't share one single license. There are just too many countries using Spanish, and separating them apart will be likely included in the next major upgrade of this site.

2. Licensing and broadcasting are separate issues. Example: two masterpieces, Haibane Renmei and Kino no Tabi, had been aired on Animax Taiwan, yet no licensor had announced any projected release.

3. Please use the error report in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
With the exception of Brazil since they speak portuguese, all Latin American countries use the same dubs and many channels (Cartoon Network, Animax, the former Locomotion channel or Jetix just to name a few) transmit the same shows to a whole ton of countries.

I see no need to separate spanish speaking Latin American countries in the databse because the same dub from any random country is used between other Latin american countries. Animax LA shows anime dubbed in Venezuela, Mexico, Argentina and Chile to any country with a cable service that picks up the channel. Good dubbers try their best to erase their local country's accent and to avoid using jokes from that specific region (hence the reason why so many south americans complain about how Pokémon sounds in spanish since it's so filled with mexican regional jokes; I understand them and think they are hilarious, but people from other countries don't and find them annoying).

Now the databsase needs to separate Latin american dubs with Spain dubs. We don't mix with them, they don't with us. We don't get their dubs because most people don't like the exagerrated accent in them, I've heard they can't get anime dubbed from Latin america shown there because it's illegal (funnily Spain has a very open definition of legal bootlegging). That's why some anime have been dubbed to spanish twice: Spain and Latin america, each with their regional accent I'd say.

Since the original Saint Seiya series was dubbed in Mexico and all the unofficial liscensing issues are coming locally since as far as I know Tower Records central is Mexico City (I could be wrong though), Chile as far as I know has no participation so far in the liscensing, dubbing and early tv transmission of Hades.

Most probable however when it's fully dubbed (which there's like a 99% chance it will be dubbed in Mexico and like a 70% chance the tv transmission will get the same dubbing cast as the dvd release), it will probably be transmitted by Cartoon Network LA and not by any specific local national tv channels. Some rumor Animax-LA might show it, but there's no official news at the time. If things go well, TV Azteca (a National TV channel from mexico City) will be the first non-cable channel to release it. Later on local channels from different countries will grab the rights.

I've noticed that my error buttons have dissapeared. Exclamation For some time for a strange reason I can't find them anywhere!!!
Annoying cuse I'd like to mention that I think #2034 has errors since it seems to say that GS Mikami was dubbed to english when I believe only the movie has been liscensed and dubbed (I actually have the movie myself).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:25 am Reply with quote
Corrected, and thank you for your valuable input for Latin American dubbing information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1