• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Brad Behavior

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Echoing a couple of previous posters: Pencilhead is amazing.

willag wrote:

Pencilhead - AMV.org Youtube - this is an extremely artistic video.
Fate Matrix - AMV.org Youtube - Concept: Little sister of fate manipulates the [multi]Threads of Fate.
Spoil - AMV.org Youtube - HO-LEE SHIT, the visual effects of this video. It's an older one, from 2007, but it's still one of the best visually immersive videos that still tries to tell a story (a mind game between Ryuuk and Light).
RAH HEY! - AMV.org Youtube - it looks at AMV editing from the POV of a creator, and is just meant to be a fun video.
Ian Fleming's Property of a Lady - AMV.org Youtube - a parody/homage/re-invisioning of a James Bond movie opening using animated characters.
Traumerei - AMV.org Youtube - tells a dramatic alternate version of FMA where Ed loses Al soon after losing their mother.
From the Ashes - AMV.org Youtube - and I can't talk about really good FMA AMVs that re-invision the story where Ed loses Al early on without mentioning silver_moon's final AMV. The amount of editing that needs to be done in order to remove characters from scenes has to be immense.
Magic Pad - AMV.org Youtube - a lot of Nostromo's videos seems to focus on atmosphere and selecting scenes that help build upon that atmosphere (the selection of trance or techno music helps create that atmosphere); therefore, this video is more of a visual spectacle that draws you in rather than actually telling a story, but it's still a very beautifully put together video.
Reflections of Style 3 - AMV.org Youtube - like its previous two predecessors, it's used to show off the
different editing and creative styles of different AMV makers.
Into the Fire - Director's Cut - AMV.org Youtube - a sort of "Iron Chef" style competition where four video editors have a week to edit the same anime to the same video, which is then all edited to combine scenes from each video. I like seeing AMV editors challenge themselves, so this is an interesting video to watch.

Annnnnd there are many, many others I love, like Mahou Shoujo Requiem (PMMM), Devil (PMMM), Hold Me Now (Princess Tutu), Beyond (Princess Tutu), Whisper of the Beast (Naruto), You Are Not Alone (Gurren Lagann), blahblah, I could go on all day.

Thank you! This is just the sort of thing I peeked into this thread for!

I haven't looked at AMVs much for several years (I was amused to hear Rammstein/Engel/Eva mentioned on the podcast and referenced earlier in this thread).

I haven't been introduced to many anime through AMVs, but I have been introduced to a lot of music.

For my contribution (people who have been on the AMV scene for a long time will know these, I'm sure):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyjAEZQkDvc Aluminum Studios "Dreams of Red" (the one AMV that makes me hope someone license rescued Sailor Moon, which I've never seen, but want to, after watching this AMV). Actually, pretty much any video by Aluminum Studios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlUUJYeQaxE Aluminum Studios "Larger than life" (an homage to Cowboy Bebop's Ed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qak3aORvx54 Doki Doki Productions' "Right now (someone is reading this title)" --- a comic commentary on anime's role in a fan's life, viewed from the mainstream, and viewed from the perspective of fans.

There was a wonderful Lain/Haibane Renmei/Porco Rosso/Kiki's Delivery Service cross-over AMV, but I can't find it.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
i find it so funny seeing people mention they don't care for AMVs or haven't seen many, because i've been in love with them for over a decade and they're my main source of discovering new anime and music Laughing

here are some more recommendations:
Trial by Drowning by Pink haze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBs1hB-rZ8g

Synthetic Heroine by Ileia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WioKUHs6A

FMA - Always Hardcore by Nostromo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILNKp0_CFk

Hold Me Now by alkampfer81
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZqxecCukg

Soul Groove by Bakadeshi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBPJPXlXkrM

i have more favorites you can find them here: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/favvids.php?user_id=151537

and just for kicks, here are a few of my personal best Smile
Son of Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2sv3YLsZfw

Alchanum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOtnvygzSo

Lord of the Anime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg8KA9QLOk
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
It's not like I'm unaware of them, I just cannot muster the care to bother seeking them out.
cwu40

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, great show as always. My favourites are still the best of 80s and best of the 90s shows. Hopefully the best of the 00s can come out soon. I think Zac said it was gonna be in mid October. Can't wait.

On another note, if you guys like podcasts, check out our new show anime spoilercast.

http://animespoilercast.podomatic.com/

also available on itunes.

Although we will need to work harder to get close to the quality of ANNCast, if you guys would have a listen and email us with questions, comments and suggestions, that would be very helpful.

Hopefully this is not too off-topic, couldn't find a podcast thread.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Holy shit, Pencilhead was...that was just amazing. A masterpiece. I haven't seen shit that crazy since I saw Goldfish's official music video for We Come Together.

Goddamit. Now every AMV I watch will pale in comparison.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
It's pretty amusing to see the lengths this guy goes to defend what's basically copy/paste. I admit there are some good amv's, but let's call a duck a duck.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
It's pretty amusing to see the lengths this guy goes to defend what's basically copy/paste. I admit there are some good amv's, but let's call a duck a duck.

I am mind blown at how easily and insultingly people dismiss AMVs.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
quack quack, mr. ducksworth
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

To be fair, as someone who likes AMVs, there are a lot of crappy ones out there too, even if they don't actually make up 90% of them, its probably much easier to find the crappy ones than the good ones. Type "[name of anime] AMV" on YouTube and you're much more likely to find something that reinforces the notion that AMVs are terrible than one that's even decently good.

Not that this justifies the insulting dismissals, but I can easily see how people would think that way.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Not that this justifies the insulting dismissals, but I can easily see how people would think that way.

Gee, it's like people are deliberately ignoring willag's post (not to mention the other posts that also had links to awesome AMVs).

If those AMVs don't open a person's eyes then, well, I don't know what to say. I guess the saying is true; you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. You can show people incredible AMVs but they won't change their opinions if they aren't open-minded.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Gee, it's like people are deliberately ignoring willag's post (not to mention the other posts that also had links to awesome AMVs).

If those AMVs don't open a person's eyes then, well, I don't know what to say. I guess the saying is true; you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. You can show people incredible AMVs but they won't change their opinions if they aren't open-minded.

But as you've seen, they aren't likely to change the preconceived notions people come into this thread with. Some (most?) of the people making these insulting dismissals "admit there are some good [ones]" so linking to a handful of good ones aren't likely to change their opinion. They'll just write it off as the extremely rare exception.

Like I said, I can see how they might have developed that opinion, but it does not justify their insulting dismissals of the entire... uh, medium, I guess.
xstylus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
...I don't know much of anything about the online AMV community, beyond the fact that they get really upset when you ask questions they don't personally approve of. This happened to me last time - in fact the last time I interviewed anyone about the subject someone literally transcribed the interview for the AMV forums so people who could not stand listening to my horrible voice could hear my horrible biased anti-AMV questions and then judge me accordingly

I deeply apologize if it came off that way. I'm the person who transcribed that interview. I had done so for a person in our community who is hearing impaired. I know that sounds strange considering our craft relies so deeply on audio, but that only makes her work (which is rather quite good) that much more impressive given her handicap.

As for this episode, I, for one, didn't have much issue with it. It was more or less some chitchat about ye olden days of yore, which I rather enjoyed as a longtime AMV fan and veteran. Heck, I even thought Brad's digs regarding misdeeds from our (AX's) distant past was fair and gently delivered. Tis' all past history. This year's (and especially next year's) AX is a night and day contrast.

-Troy Williams
AX2012/AX2013 AMV Events Manager
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Aw, man. I read the first three pages of this forum before listening to the show, and I was all ready to hear Zac in Elitist Prick Mode lord over his hapless guest. And instead, he came in knowing Brad's personal history, asked some appropriately skeptical questions, and sounded at least somewhat open to having his mind changed, while still digging in his heels on crucial questions like whether AMVs legitimately tell a story, which Brad brought out as his crucial concept for putting the thing together at all.

Big detach between the contents of the show and the discussion of it this week. Maybe because people just need someplace to vent about AMVs.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Though given the flood of "what's this I hear about AMV's being dissed at ANN??? I will go and defend AMV's!!!!!" posts at the beginning of the thread ...

... many of whom, instead of listening to the podcast skimmed through a transcript to work out what they wanted to be outraged about ...

.., its quite possible that some of the dismissive posts were exaggerating their reaction to yank the chain of the flying squadron of AMV defenders.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

I'm not dismissing amv's, I even said there's some good ones, but can you honestly say that this amounts to more than just fancy editing? I mean I just don't see how this point can be disputed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7