• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Turner Broadcasting System Asia Launches Toonami Channel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Lucky and in multi-language so there going to make every one speak english
Kougeru

Already better than the "Toonami" (Adult Swim anime block that isnt really Toonami) that we have in the US now. Lucky Asia
enurtsol

No wonder they brought the brand back.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I just have one Questoin...WHY ISN'T THIS HAPPENING HERE!

I mean Turner has more then a large enough backlog of Action cartoons & Anime to do so...right!?

Hmm, Maybe they could re-brand Boomerang like Disney did with ToonDisney afew years back.....

But ahh yeah.... I am jealous now. Hopefully this will convince CN/AS in the states to at the very least give Toonami ALL of Saturday night.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. Since it's in SouthEast Asia, it will likely have an English feed... but English SE Asian anime programming (such as that on Animax) usually use different (cheaply produced) dubs.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Hmm, Maybe they could re-brand Boomerang like Disney did with ToonDisney afew years back.....

They likely will. They don't do much with Boomerang anymore anyway. I honestly think one person programs all the stuff the channel shows for a three year time-span, and just lets it sit there. I'm surprised Cartoon Network is letting a sister channel go to waste like that. At least it has Pokemon. Cartoon Network UK did have a full Toonami channel at one point, after it was CNX (which was a full-time anime channel, and occasionally showed Justice League, Batman: TAS, etc), and it's now become Cartoon Network Too, which is basically Cartoon Network 2.0, but it did recently show One Piece (mostly just the 4Kids version and edited FUNimation episodes for the Skypea arc, but still...).
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Already better than the "Toonami" (Adult Swim anime block that isnt really Toonami) that we have in the US now. Lucky Asia

Better how? Having Young Justice, sure. That would be great to have on Toonami. Batman: Brave and the Bold? Eh...seems more suitable for regular Cartoon Network. Dragon Ball Z needs to stay AWAY from Toonami. It doesn't need another broadcast run in North America.

In fact, North America could stand to have a Dragon Ball hiatus. We seem to be the only country that hasn't had a break from the series in any form. When the TV show isn't on air, we've got a ton of home video releases back to back, as well as video games. Not to mention, we still have Dragon Ball Kai airing on the CW block, as well as GT airing on Nicktoons.

Hell, airing DBZ on a 1-episode-per-week basis would be murder. 291 episodes to go through, keeping away any possible new series'. That and that god awful English dub.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Southeast Asia gets ALL the nice things...

...is what I would say, but if there's one thing American dubs rock at, it's being better than SOUTHEAST ASIAN DUBS.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I mean Turner has more then a large enough backlog of Action cartoons & Anime to do so...right!?

Said backlog of anime would require a hefty amount of relicensing for broadcast, especially when some of them aren't even licensed to any dubbing/publishing companies right now (such as Sailor Moon). Doesn't help that a good chunk of Bandai's stuff won't be available (namely the Gundam stuff).
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Better how? Having Young Justice, sure. That would be great to have on Toonami. Batman: Brave and the Bold? Eh...seems more suitable for regular Cartoon Network. Dragon Ball Z needs to stay AWAY from Toonami. It doesn't need another broadcast run in North America.

In fact, North America could stand to have a Dragon Ball hiatus. We seem to be the only country that hasn't had a break from the series in any form. When the TV show isn't on air, we've got a ton of home video releases back to back, as well as video games. Not to mention, we still have Dragon Ball Kai airing on the CW block, as well as GT airing on Nicktoons.

Hell, airing DBZ on a 1-episode-per-week basis would be murder. 291 episodes to go through, keeping away any possible new series'. That and that god awful English dub.

it's a cash cow. it makes people money. stopping that would be idiotic
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Sounds interesting. Since it's in SouthEast Asia, it will likely have an English feed... but English SE Asian anime programming (such as that on Animax) usually use different (cheaply produced) dubs.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

They likely will. They don't do much with Boomerang anymore anyway. I honestly think one person programs all the stuff the channel shows for a three year time-span, and just lets it sit there. I'm surprised Cartoon Network is letting a sister channel go to waste like that. At least it has Pokemon. Cartoon Network UK did have a full Toonami channel at one point, after it was CNX (which was a full-time anime channel, and occasionally showed Justice League, Batman: TAS, etc), and it's now become Cartoon Network Too, which is basically Cartoon Network 2.0, but it did recently show One Piece (mostly just the 4Kids version and edited FUNimation episodes for the Skypea arc, but still...).

Yeah only thing I watch on Boom regularly are Popeye, Teen Titans and the various cartoon cartoon reruns (Dexter, PPG, Samruai Jack, etc)

I wouldn't mind too much if by some miracle it got re-branded (and they could still keep Jack & Tiatans on, lol)

Will it happen, probably not, but A guy can dream. At the very least hopefully Toonami in the U.S. will eventually get all of Saturday Night [Adult Swim]
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Lol no. We don't have
*simulcasts (aside from TVTokyo shows, we only 1 per 6 months, and not internet streaming while we're at it)
*DVD Distributors (we're only limited by what we watch on Cable TV
Sketchor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I just have one Questoin...WHY ISN'T THIS HAPPENING HERE!

But ahh yeah.... I am jealous now. Hopefully this will convince CN/AS in the states to at the very least give Toonami ALL of Saturday night.

It's not happening here because Cartoon Network has very little tolerance for action programming. Toonami only came back because Williams Street saw potential for rebranding ASA to something more recognizable and have some fun with their anime line-up again.

We don't even get weekday reruns of Young Justice. That's downright criminal. If you want to see an action cartoon that isn't Pokemon, Beyblade or NinjaGo you're ish outta luck unless it's Saturday or Sunday morning. They've even jetisoned The Clone Wars to Saturday morning premieres after 4 years in prime time. Boomerang shows a bit more love to action animation but it's far from rebranding to a Toonami channel.

Until CN is run by different people, action animation will not get its' due. Hopefully the next guy sees more value in action animation.

As for giving Toonami all of Saturday night? Not with the low ratings it's getting lately. They had a decent claim for those hours when ASA was doing well last year but Toonami's ratings are getting increasingly worse so far.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Dragon Ball Z needs to stay AWAY from Toonami. It doesn't need another broadcast run in North America.

As bad as the English dub of DBZ is, it's a guaranteed ratings-grabber, and the more people watching means the more people who'll stick around for other, better dubbed (and just plain better) anime.

Ugh, I feel dirty just saying that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
minakichan wrote:

Lol no. We don't have
*simulcasts (aside from TVTokyo shows, we only 1 per 6 months, and not internet streaming while we're at it)
*DVD Distributors (we're only limited by what we watch on Cable TV

yea blame it on MTRCB for screwing anime on tv these days make more PG & less anime.

give more BOO there still no anime dvd-blu in phils area indeed ONORE MTRCB for being anime haters.
pakli1988

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for hearing to that news. If Turner Broadcasting System Asia launches Toonami Channel in 2013, then it will going to show Thundercats, Voltron, The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, Robotech, Sailor Moon, DragonBall series, ReBoot, Gundam series, Tenchi Muyo!, Blue Submarine No. #6, Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto and many more, and that will be great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2