• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece, why the greatest?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speeddemon316

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote
Now i know alot of people dont watch this anime, so i made this to tell u why people watches it and why people dont watch it

People watch it because this is the one of a kind anime with great story plot. Its an overal anime with drama, story, action, friendship. After watching 100+ episodes of this anime, or reading the manga, you will be hooked on this manga like crackhead on cocaine(well not really that hooked). Yes its seriously that good

People DONT watch it beacause they like to judge this anime by how it looks, and how it looks is a kiddy drawn series. BTW, DO NOT WATCH THE DUBBED ONE PIECE, its the worst thing ever. There is nothing kiddy about one piece, the drawing its just different from the other animes, the drawing is a one of kind drawing. There is violents, swearing, death and all that, so dont worry about this anime being like Pokemon or Ninja Turtles.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
Thing is though, the "swearing" in One Piece is entirely based on context and such and given the target audience for the original Japanese broadcast, it's not "real" swearing.

Also sorry, if you have to watch 100 episodes before you can get into it, then it's really not a strong series. If you can't get into something after I dunno, four at the most, then it's likely a lost cause.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, swearing issues aside, it really is a good show.

And you don't need 100 episodes, but it can take a while. If you're at all in doubt as to whether this is the greatest manga ever, just head over to your local Norders and sit down with a stck of the manga. Read all that's out so far. If you like it (as you should) then buy it. Oda just has an excelent grasp of plot, timing, and character that truly lock you in to the series, even if the earlier segments don't grasp you immediately.

The anime is much the same, although it suffers greatly from "Dragonballism", in which many scenes are dragged out far beyond hae they deserve and many filler arcs and episodes are added to keep the show running behind the manga. Well, there's one segment in the Alabaster arc in which a single fifteen minute countdown covers about six or seven episodes. Even so, it's overall a good show, and at one point I was watching several versions concurrently, with the US show, the one fansub group that's been doing it but is about 80 episodes behind the Japanese version, a second fansubbed version that started with the next arc and subbed those episodes, and a third group that started with the arc after that, and is roughly caught up with the Japanese release.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
There is an interesting post listed here animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19914 on some views on the series.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Notice that the author is the same for both threads. The difference in grammar and spelling between the two threads would amaze an English teacher. Anyway.

I did give One Piece a try and I'm glad I didn't give it more than about 10 episodes. The only reason you're going to "like it" after a 100 episodes is because you've wasted too much time on it and the characters excessively grew on you to the point of having the patience to bear it till the end.

If "great" story, character, setting, WHATEVER, is going to make an anime great, then there's TONS of anime that is great without needing over 50 episodes. What makes anime better than "great" would be its uniqueness. And comparing Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, non are especially "unique" other than the setting. That doesn't mean it's a BAD anime.

If you're going to see not-for-kids anime that's over 50 episodes, I'd recommend Rurouni Kenshin over anything. It has everything One Piece has, minus the "kiddy-style drawing".

As for cursing or swearing, that's the English translation. The actual Japanese language has non of the literal translation of the curses that fansubbers substituted. Japanese is a very clean language. Smile
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin, fyi, is also published in Shonen Jump and is aimed at the exact same audience as One Piece (IE it's not in the "not for kids" thing).

This however doesn't count the Trust/Betrayal OVA series as that was made with an Adult audience in mind, hence the gigantic change in permissable violent content and mood.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
speeddemon316 wrote:
Now i know alot of people don't watch this anime

You haven't spent enough time in anime fandom, have you? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Also sorry, if you have to watch 100 episodes before you can get into it, then it's really not a strong series. If you can't get into something after I dunno, four at the most, then it's likely a lost cause.

Well, I first started liking the series at episode 4. Then it becomes really good at episode 31. So it doesn't take that long to get into.
Dexo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I think that One Piece is vastly overrated...before you say it I have read the manga up to Water 7...people kept saying it would get better and better but it never did...all except for 2 of the arcs boil down to, The 2 that don't are Lougetown and Little Garden

Badguy is trying to take over island

Badguy has taken over island and Luffy and Co need to remove him

...but meh to each his own.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care much for the animation in the anime, but I do like the manga a lot. I have up to volume 7 and I'm very interested in it, like, I never got bored reading it. There are some series where my mind tends to drift while reading/watching it, but this one seriously has me entranced, not as much as Bleach, but enough for me to buy the PS2 games and the manga. Anime smile I can't wait till Bleach gets licensed in the United States (the anime, anyway.)
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

If "great" story, character, setting, WHATEVER, is going to make an anime great, then there's TONS of anime that is great without needing over 50 episodes. What makes anime better than "great" would be its uniqueness. And comparing Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, non are especially "unique" other than the setting. That doesn't mean it's a BAD anime.

You know, there IS an alternative, the manga.

Unless you're a very slow reader you can read through the entire available manga (Japanese) in a few days at most. Then you can decide whether you enjoy the series enough to start watching the anime at any point along the way that you choose, just to see it all in action. The manga really is the better of the two, but there are certain things that are just great to see in motion.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
And comparing Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, non are especially "unique" other than the setting. That doesn't mean it's a BAD anime.

Unless you're a very slow reader you can read through the entire available manga (Japanese) in a few days at most. Then you can decide whether you enjoy the series enough to start watching the anime at any point along the way that you choose, just to see it all in action. The manga really is the better of the two, but there are certain things that are just great to see in motion.

First, how many anime have you, Azathrael, seen that envolve what either of the three series envolve? i haven't seen or heard of any other Pirate anime, have you. Bleach and Naruto put a different look on alot of old concepts that make them unique.
And Ohoni, i agree wholeheartedly.

Before anyone should decide anything about the anime, dubbed or otherwise, look to what it came from. The anime could follow it straight along the line, or it could be as diffrent from it as cooked spagehtti is from raw spagehtti. These differences can be minor or major. alot of fillers in the anime would be a major difference. Angle or length of a sequence would be a minor difference. These differences could make an anime great, or ruin it. Usually, it's neither.

As far as OP goes, i think it's a great series and will live on long after it is done and Eiichiro Oda will be praised for it, at least by me, and he will come up with something BETTER the next time.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
speeddemon316 wrote:

People don't watch it beacause they like to judge this anime by how it looks, and how it looks is a kiddy drawn series.

Unashamedly plugging your favorites, eh? Anyhoo, I wouldn't say One Piece has kiddie art, the problem is rather that the art is odd enough to be off-putting for some. Add in that while pirates are exotic in Japan, they are soooo passé in the west. Despite this (and other faults), One Piece is a popular series in most parts of the world. That not everybody likes the show can't be helped, nobody has yet made a film or show that absolutely everybody would like.
All Arrembaggio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
i haven't seen or heard of any other Pirate anime, have you.

Pirates that sail the sea? Not that I know of. But there is Captain Harlock, which I'm pretty sure is about space pirates.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Unfortunately, the discussion is within anime so manga has no place here for discussion. But yes, manga is an alternative.

suna_suna wrote:

First, how many anime have you, Azathrael, seen that envolve what either of the three series envolve? i haven't seen or heard of any other Pirate anime, have you. Bleach and Naruto put a different look on alot of old concepts that make them unique.
And Ohoni, i agree wholeheartedly.

Before anyone should decide anything about the anime, dubbed or otherwise, look to what it came from. The anime could follow it straight along the line, or it could be as diffrent from it as cooked spagehtti is from raw spagehtti. These differences can be minor or major. alot of fillers in the anime would be a major difference. Angle or length of a sequence would be a minor difference. These differences could make an anime great, or ruin it. Usually, it's neither.

As far as OP goes, i think it's a great series and will live on long after it is done and Eiichiro Oda will be praised for it, at least by me, and he will come up with something BETTER the next time.

I don't get what you're trying to say. Read what I wrote. I said they're not particularly unique OTHER THAN their setting. You just explained my point for me. Arigato.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2