• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speeddemon316

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is a masterpiece anime, every anime fan must watch this anime. I heard alot of people say that this anime is really kiddy, that might be because your watching the dubbed version, the dubbed is the worst ever. When i first watch this anime, i did not like this anime either, luffys power was weird and usopps nose really really annoyed me(just want to take a saw and cut it off), anyway, i first watch the first 10 episode for the anime, then i read the manga all the way to the latest, and it is just awesome awesome. If you like Naruto, Bleach or those really long animes, you will love this, it does not have the best drawing at the first 10-20 episodes or so, but the drawing really improved alot at the later episodes, the action and story keeps gettting better and better everytime. Its a all-in-one anime, action, drama, story etc. Alot of people who first watched this anime did not like it at first, but they learn to love it, if you dont believe me, ask them. You cannot say this anime sucks if you only watch the first 3 episodes. if you watch 100+ episodes and you say the anime sucks then thats ok, but something would be wrong with you.
prettygirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that I've only watched about 2 episodes of One Piece and read a few chapters from the manga. I don't hate it... but I also don't like it. The main reason why I don't think I will continue to watch One Piece is because I don't like the animation style and I don't really like the character designs (which is really important IMO). Perhaps it has a great storyline but it's hard to concentrate on the story if the animation, the characters, and the voices are irritating.

edit= I don't mean to sound like I'm putting One Piece down! I'm not! I just wanted to share my opinion as to why I don't like it. That's all.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
prettygirl wrote:
edit= I don't mean to sound like I'm putting One Piece down! I'm not! I just wanted to share my opinion as to why I don't like it. That's all.

One Piece certainly doesn't have the most visually appealing style, as it's bright and very abstract compared to a lot of series out there. It's understandable why people may not be able to get into the series because of it.

One Piece is my favorite series, but I have to admit that I wasn't digging the art style at all early on. Fortunately, I found enough of a pull to the story, even though it doesn't really start kicking in until Baratie, and for me, it paid off as I got a favorite series out of it. Very Happy I do enjoy the art style now, or at least I couldn't imagine the series any other way. Later on, the series gets some superb shots and angles.

I can't change people's mind about it, but while One Piece is a hefty investment, I think if you get it, you're going to come away with something very close to you.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I personally found the art style to be horrendous, and the story telling wasn't much better. It seems most of the huge popular series recently (One Piece, Naruto, Inu Yasha) are popular for reasons I can't comprehend. None of them are really any good.
mydog8u2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't need to get "used to" the animation to love One Piece because I kinda thought it was perfect for the characters. I mean, Luffy's Gomu Gomu power looked pretty believable, if only because the so-called "kiddy" drawling style actually achieves some realism. If the drawing and animation style was Miyasaki-level real, then I would have gone "WTF!?" But because the animation in One Piece is abstract, it allows room for the strange and extraordinary. (being dramatic here Very Happy )

Secondly, the story is definitely NOT "kiddy". There sure are kiddy moments (which are just too funny and charming), but the story touches our consciousness on a very personal level. It's about this small group of pirates that strive to whatever extents to follow their individual passions and dreams. I just love the moments when I get swept away by Luffy's phenomenal, undying spirit for adventure, and the sticky sense of loyalty and friendship between the crew.

Also (I think I'm not alone in this), One Piece made me cry. A dozen times. Most of the time was due to the characters' unparalleled display of loyalty. It just simply moves you.

One Piece is funny, charming, action-packed, and epic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is certainly not on the list of the most adult/mature series out there but I think it is still awesome. At times you see the story takes on a level of maturity the is quite high. One must look past the comedy and animation to truly see. I did not cry, but i did feel the intense saddness that befalls someone when they cry. I can see why someone would not like/love one piece, it does seem a little too kiddy at first glance. However, it does have some powerful underlying themes that one must see to fully appreciate it and all other anime like it.

Kudos to Eiichiro Oda for his (in my opinion) masterpiece.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
i love the art in this show. it has a very well... cartoonish feel to it.

it's a damn shame 4kids butchered this so badly.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I've heard great things about it before coming to this thread, but this now confirms it!
I've been putting off beginning the series because it's just sooooo long! And i'm afraid once I start i'm going to be putting all my other anime on hold for a very long time!

But, hey, I guess i've got to give it a go now!.

I've heard that the dubbing on CN is absolutely horrific? I don't think they did Cowboy Bebop too poorly, but what about One Piece? Is it as bad as everyone says?
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
CyberViper wrote:
I've heard that the dubbing on CN is absolutely horrific? I don't think they did Cowboy Bebop too poorly, but what about One Piece? Is it as bad as everyone says?

Unfortunately, the American TV version of One Piece is awful, since the dubbing is the least of the worries. They edited character backgrounds, and removed and changed vital plot points and then removed entire story arcs.

I'd actually suggest reading the manga instead, since you get the series in its original, unaltered form, and not to mention, volume nine is coming out next month, which has the first real moment I was genuinely impressed and moved by the series.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
CyberViper wrote:

YES. The storyline was severed, the music was replaced by what's usually garbage, and the voice acting is terrible. They've also cut 30 some episodes so they could speed to a more marketable character. There have to be some changes made to series when they're aired on American television, but 4Kids just totally crossed the line with this one.

As far as the "Eww, I don't like the art, the show obviously sucks" thing... I like the art a lot more than other series, mainly because you can actually recognize it as One Piece, and it's a lot different from the generic style. It's not as if it doesn't fit, either. One Piece is, at its core, a goofy, light-hearted show.
AHZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
Truth be told I hated One Piece when I first saw it. I actually stated that in a previous thread.

But once I gave it a chance, I got hooked on it--and that's the dub version I'm talking about. I guess I got pulled in by the story line and the overall unique look of the animation. It definitely is an aquired taste for me.

I just make sure I cover my ears during the opening theme and then I'm ready to go.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
speeddemon316 wrote:
that might be because your watching the dubbed version, the dubbed is the worst ever.

What, you mean the dubbed and subtitled versions of One Piece are different? Somebody call CNN Rolling Eyes

Sure, I could find the fansubs, buy that new internal HD I've been thinking of getting, and start DLing, but despite all its buzz, I don't care to watch One Piece. I'm sure it's not a bad show, but I don't want to get into such a lengthy series. The concept just doesn't reach out and grab me enough to warrant that much attention. I admit, the art style didn't appeal to me, and I'm usually not one for shounen epics, though I do watch Bleach and Naruto. I have shows that I love to death, but some people, like anidb reviewers, see them differently and that's their opinion, which they have a right to. So go ahead, enjoy yourself, and set sail for ONE PIECE! Laughing Laughing
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, One Piece has a very distinct style, but Oda's plotting, pacing, and layouts are by far the best of any anime out there. After reading/watching enough of it I, like most people, just grew to accept the style, sort of filter it out, and beyond that I could accept that One Piece was probably the best manga out there, and the anime isn't bad either (although the stretching/filling does hurt it a bit).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
There is something about One Piece which while not "really kiddy" does remind me of a series aimed towards a relatively younger shonen crowd. The series is targeted to a similar demographic as Naruto, Slam Dunk, Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball Z, etc. There is nothing wrong with the fact that it is aimed towards a slightly younger audience, and though I'm not a big fan of most Shonen Sunday and Jump Comics there are some JC titles (City Hunter, Orange Road, Jojo's, and a few other 80's titles) that are nolstagic to me. I think people who refer to One Piece as "really kiddy" are just stating that the series is a fun Shonen adventure and is targeted to a younger crowd compared to Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell or other titles in the Adult Swim block. Target audiences are also just a general guideline and doesn't mean those outside of the demographic can't enjoy it. I believe the Harry Potter books and films are clear evidence of this. I've enjoyed titles published by Hana to Yume, Asuka, and a few other Shojo publishers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1