• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bonus discs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote
I received my copy of Yukikaze 2 today and was not surprised that the hour long DVD came on 2 DVDs. It baffles me why Bandai feels the need to release such a short DVD on 2 discs, since the second disc only ads a DTS track. The first Yukikaze had the weak justification that Bandai, like the SAC DVDs, sold a non-DTS edition. Why didn't Bandai put the extras on the DTS edition along with a 5.1 DD track and sell one DVD instead of two seemed strange for the first Yukikaze. I'm completely at a lost to why they didn't press Yukikaze 2 on one DVD with both DD and DTS tracks. I even find it hard to imagine that 3-4 SAC episodes will not fit on a DVD with 2 DTS and 2 DD tracks, even with the interviews. The first disc of the very clearly mastered Se7en DVD clocks in at 127 minutes with a DD EX 5.1, DTS ES 5.1, 5.1 DD sfx commentary, Stereo Surround track, and 3 other commentary tracks. If there were 5 SAC episodes per disc it would be crowded, but 4 plus interview (which are not DTS or dubbed) should fit on a DVD. At least Bandai has Planetes volume 4 on one DVD although I believe this was done as a last minute idea since the box says "Extra disc Contains" and everything is on one DVD. Granted the first two DVDs did have 5 episodes on them. What I find as odd is that ADVs Azumanga thinpak has a 5/4/5/5/7 episode count pattern. If they can fit 7 episodes comfortably on a disc why don't they release thinpaks on 4 discs. I understand the justification in marketing less than 7 episodes per initial release, but this doesn't apply to complete collections. Why place 7 on one and 4 on another in the same thinpak collection? Why not be like Viz's Saikano have a disc for every 6-7 episodes? Although a few DVDs like the 5 episode (5.1 Japanesse and 5.1 English) Otogi Zoshi DVDs have so many minutes of extras to warrant a second DVD, and a few like Jin Roh provides us with a 162 minute feature with DTS and DD requiring a second disc for extras, most bonus discs (like the embarrassing Heat Guy J, and Apple Seed Bonus discs) seem to be filled with stuff that would fit on one DVD. I realy am running out of shelf space here!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
Re-edited: A two disc with DTS stuff generally means that the DTS tracks produced are of a higher quality, IE "full bitrate". Chances are most people wont be able to notice the difference as their equipment wouldn't be able to really handle/appreciate that sort of stuff, but generally people do this because well, half bitrate DTS tracks are pointless. Anime, specifically high budget OVAs, need more disc space as animation tends to have a uhh... different quality about it.

Kinda requires a more technical explination, but hey.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:07 am Reply with quote
I can understand how 100 minutes of 754 kbps on two tracks and an additional 448 kbps for DD might be arguably (but I don't think so) pushing the limits forthe space needed for the ten minute interviews on SAC (which are encoded at 192 kbps). However there is pleanty of room on a 75 minute DVD for two DTS tracks and extras. The Yukikaze 2 DVD non DTS disc doesn't even include any extras besides 3 trailers. I think I'll give away the non-DTS disc to a friend, since it doesn't include anything I need. The stuff listed without DTS don't even have that justification. I really believe that there is pleanty of blank space on most 2 DVD sets. BTW, I understand that some rereleased box sets, like Funimations Kiddy Grade and Blue Gender have not been remastered (they even have the old previews) so the disc count is unavoidable.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
The way I understand it is that's it's not about space, it's about bandwidth. If you've got 4 audio tracks on a disc, that takes bandwidth away from the video. Or something to that effect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1