• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Licentious Licensing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
The simulcast is just like a TV airing. I don't see why everyone NEEDS to be able to own everything when its easily viewable at any time through the simulcasts. Having it be a "premium option" for the most hardcore fans, like in Japan, is probably the way the Japanese companies would make the most money.

You do realize that all streaming media have expiration dates. So if you want something to be truly "viewable at any time", you need to own a physical copy of some sort.

Not sure how that contradicts what Ryan said. Unless you record it, after you watch TV once the show is not on air, it's not on air.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
farix wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
The simulcast is just like a TV airing. I don't see why everyone NEEDS to be able to own everything when its easily viewable at any time through the simulcasts. Having it be a "premium option" for the most hardcore fans, like in Japan, is probably the way the Japanese companies would make the most money.

You do realize that all streaming media have expiration dates. So if you want something to be truly "viewable at any time", you need to own a physical copy of some sort.

Not sure how that contradicts what Ryan said. Unless you record it, after you watch TV once the show is not on air, it's not on air.
Ah, but there's the rub. Streaming doesn't allow recording does it? Wink
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Neither do TVs. You have to stick a DVR in the middle either way.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
farix wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

But there is no legal way to record a stream.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Neither do TVs. You have to stick a DVR in the middle either way.
yeah if you don't mind all the rubbish along side the video, and then can you transfer that to disc afterwards? Wink
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
B) That depends entirely on the DVR and A) Fullscreen button.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

A*: the distribution company which converts 4:3 content to 16:9 as to prevent phone calls from people who complain they're not getting "high definition".

Even this thread makes the mistake as thinking ratio and resolution are related. They're not. Film does not have a resolution.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Its the North American thought process when it comes to consumption. Not all shows out there is worthy of a purchase in the mind of every single fan, but the option to own it at a fair price IS something that they think they should be entitled to. Great example: the Aniplex DRRR!! BD box. Sure, not everyone is a huge enough fan to spend what they are asking (the one lump sum of $100+ really pisses the average fan off) but even though they have probably never even considered purchasing it prior to the announcement, they think it should be cheaper.

It's like this: "I'm not interested in DRRR!! at the moment and honestly may never be, but the price Aniplex is asking is appalling. I will never pay that." < they feel strongly about this even though they were never taken into consideration by Aniplex as part of the demographic they are aiming these boxes at. There are free, legal ways of viewing the show but they always seem to ignore it. OWNING is the only option in many NA consumers mind, even if they have zero interest in the title.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Polycell wrote:

A*: the distribution company which converts 4:3 content to 16:9 as to prevent phone calls from people who complain they're not getting "high definition".

Even this thread makes the mistake as thinking ratio and resolution are related. They're not. Film does not have a resolution.

Well, they're implcitly related in that when things transitioned to HD, they also transitioned to 16:9.

And flim may not have a 'resolution' per se, but it does have a set amount of detail it contains, limited by the focusing quality of the camera and the nature of the photochemical change in the film it self.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Its the North American thought process when it comes to consumption. Not all shows out there is worthy of a purchase in the mind of every single fan, but the option to own it at a fair price IS something that they think they should be entitled to. Great example: the Aniplex DRRR!! BD box. Sure, not everyone is a huge enough fan to spend what they are asking (the one lump sum of $100+ really pisses the average fan off) but even though they have probably never even considered purchasing it prior to the announcement, they think it should be cheaper.

It's like this: "I'm not interested in DRRR!! at the moment and honestly may never be, but the price Aniplex is asking is appalling. I will never pay that." < they feel strongly about this even though they were never taken into consideration by Aniplex as part of the demographic they are aiming these boxes at. There are free, legal ways of viewing the show but they always seem to ignore it. OWNING is the only option in many NA consumers mind, even if they have zero interest in the title.

You say that as if wanting something at a reasonable price point ($30 per season set oppose verses $50 per episode or hundreds of dollars per season) is somehow a bad thing. I may not be interesting in buying Durarara!! now, but 5 years down the road, who knows. Nor does that mean a friend of my who is willing to buy Durarara!! now, but not at the $100+ price point.

The series will not be streamed forever, and who knows when Crunchyroll will pull the series from their listings. So how are fans going to watch the series once the streams are taken down? Resort to pirating fansubs or other bootlegs? That would defeat everything the studios have taken to combat fansub. For a series to survive after its initial run, it needs to be available in some form of purchasable media.

BTW, in order to be a consumer, you have to purchase something first. It's part of the definition in an economic system.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:

The series will not be streamed forever, and who knows when Crunchyroll will pull the series from their listings. So how are fans going to watch the series once the streams are taken down?

Watch it during the time CR has it up? A series also won't be on TV forever either.

Quote:
I may not be interesting in buying Durarara!! now, but 5 years down the road, who knows. Nor does that mean a friend of my who is willing to buy Durarara!! now, but not at the $100+ price point.

You also realize that physical media won't be in print forever either. Sure, some stuff you'll be able to find for cheap 2nd hand, but how about the shows that command handsome sums of money?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:

I have to wonder what the legal status would be if one were not violating the DMCA. For example, if you had a video card with component video output, and recording that using something like a Hauppauge HD PVR attached to a second computer, or for those willing to settle for SD, just attaching a DVD recorder to the composite output of a Roku.

I am curious if there is indeed any existing law or court precedent that would define that as illegal. I suspect that if it ever became a court case, it would likely be declared a violation of copyright, as the same arguments made in the Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc. case that set the precedent for VCR and later device recordings would not apply to streaming.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
farix wrote:

The series will not be streamed forever, and who knows when Crunchyroll will pull the series from their listings. So how are fans going to watch the series once the streams are taken down?

Watch it during the time CR has it up? A series also won't be on TV forever either.
But when it's down, it's gone. If you didn't catch it while it was up, "too bad for you." That doesn't the longevity of a series. At least while it is on some physical media, you still have the chance to see it.

superdry wrote:
Quote:
I may not be interesting in buying Durarara!! now, but 5 years down the road, who knows. Nor does that mean a friend of my who is willing to buy Durarara!! now, but not at the $100+ price point.

You also realize that physical media won't be in print forever either. Sure, some stuff you'll be able to find for cheap 2nd hand, but how about the shows that command handsome sums of money?

But it will still be obtainable and viewable. Where as a pulled stream is nigher. Your only remaining option with the latter is video piracy. Even people with BETA tapes and laser discs can still watch them so long as they have the players.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:

The series will not be streamed forever, and who knows when Crunchyroll will pull the series from their listings. So how are fans going to watch the series once the streams are taken down? Resort to pirating fansubs or other bootlegs? That would defeat everything the studios have taken to combat fansub. For a series to survive after its initial run, it needs to be available in some form of purchasable media.

BTW, in order to be a consumer, you have to purchase something first. It's part of the definition in an economic system.

Become a consumer? If someone likes a show that much to continually watch over and over, then isn't the next logical step to buy it? You gotta put money in this machine to keep it going.

EDIT: also the consumer bit...if you have no intent on purchasing the product in the first place (five years from now this BD set will no longer be available) then why would the price bother you anyway? This is what I don't get. I started noticing this when the Garden of sinners came out in Japan: people were getting all aggravated about the pricing when the had absolutely no intent on purchasing the thing. A domestic example would be R.O.D: BD box was announced and half of the people complaining weren't even the ones the set was being marketed at.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
farix wrote:

I have to wonder what the legal status would be if one were not violating the DMCA.

The DMCA is only one obsitcal to legality. There is also the copyright law itself. Currently, there is no legal precedent that capturing a stream for "private archival purposes" falls under fair use.

TheAncientOne wrote:
I am curious if there is indeed any existing law or court precedent that would define that as illegal. I suspect that if it ever became a court case, it would likely be declared a violation of copyright, as the same arguments made in the Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc. case that set the precedent for VCR and later device recordings would not apply to streaming.

SCotUS found in favor of Sony for two reasons. First, Sony was not responsible for any misuse of its products so long as there was a legitimate use for the product. Second, the court recognized that private time-shifting is a legitimate use of Sony's product under the fair use previsions of the copyright law.

However, because of streaming media's on-demand nature, the time-shifting argument wouldn't apply. And the court hasn't weighed in on personal archiving, so it would be a violation of copyright law.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11