• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Licentious Licensing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
It's not like NIS can license Higurashi, doesn't Funimation hold the rights to that?

Funimation's license to the series has expired:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-11/funimation-higurashi-familiar-of-zero-licenses-expire
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I've pretty much goten over my obsession with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, having settled in with the manga quite nicely. Not to mention, all my favorite scenes are posted on Youtube now. More focused on Nichijou now.

I've heard very little of Umineko, having held off from reading or watching til I get the chance to start from the very beginning. I thought Manga Gamer had already licensed the game along with Higurashi. I was wrong. I'm sorry. Just kidding. I don't actually give a shit.

As for same day releases, not my thing. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or something. Rather the license wait for awhile so that we get over a quality release that can be appreciated just as much as when it first came out. And maybe that will help with their silly fear of reverse importation that's been going around lately. I'd seriously wait for all Gundam Unicorns to be released together years from now than pay 50 dollars for a 60 minute movie. Hell, Sentai released all 6 of Broken Blade for 50.

Besides which, I already have Crunchyroll, so I can watch subtitled Fate/Zero whenever I like. Not right now though, I'm kinda at work.

You know, it just occurred to me. The English for Unicorn is practically the only Gundam product that isn't being voiced by Canadians. Interesting. Is that their sell?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I still don't see why people are clamoring for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei from Media Blasters. Sure, it's a good show and all, but MB's minimalist subtitling approach is simply not going to do the series justice. It'd be better to hope that someone else mysteriously winds up with the license, as seen with Ikki Tousen Great Guardians.

Actually, I either want them to bring it up or give it to a company that would actually DO SOMETHING WITH IT (preferably, the latter).

I looked everywhere at Otakon to get something signed for Ai Nonaka, and was lucky enough to find the Kenji Ohtsuki OST for her to autograph. =.=;;

Personally, I would've preferred a DVD slipcover, but that's just me.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The simulcast is just like a TV airing. I don't see why everyone NEEDS to be able to own everything when its easily viewable at any time through the simulcasts. Having it be a "premium option" for the most hardcore fans, like in Japan, is probably the way the Japanese companies would make the most money.

Right. This really bizarre idea that the only way to watch anime is by buying DVDs/BDs is one of the reasons the R1 market it so screwy.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
The simulcast is just like a TV airing. I don't see why everyone NEEDS to be able to own everything when its easily viewable at any time through the simulcasts. Having it be a "premium option" for the most hardcore fans, like in Japan, is probably the way the Japanese companies would make the most money.

Right. This really bizarre idea that the only way to watch anime is by buying DVDs/BDs is one of the reasons the R1 market it so screwy.

That may not be the only way to watch anime nowadays, but it's still the only way to own it. For those of us that grew up collecting DVDs, there's a definite appeal to having a physical release to display in one's library and knowing you will always have that title to rewatch in the future.

But if you're only interested in watching a series once, then I understand.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I think Sony is starting to give into companies about that policy. The latest Record of Agarest War 2 got a disc release without a dub.

Hmm, no dub I can almost boarder line seeing a company that was really invested into Umineko doing it. But the translation would be a huge investment in and of its self.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

That may not be the only way to watch anime nowadays, but it's still the only way to own it. For those of us that grew up collecting DVDs, there's a definite appeal to having a physical release to display in one's library and knowing you will always have that title to rewatch in the future.

That's not the point though. The fact of the matter is that R1 fans need to move away from the blind-buy/buy lots mentality since so much new anime is streamed these days that allow them to watch before they commit to owning a show.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

That's not the point though. The fact of the matter is that R1 fans need to move away from the blind-buy/buy lots mentality since so much new anime is streamed these days that allow them to watch before they commit to owning a show.

Why do they need to? (Not trying to sound argumentative, I'm genuinely curious as to why you say that.) DVD sales are still where most of the R1 money is being made, so it's not like it'd be worse for the industry.

Just speaking personally, I don't like watching entire shows on my computer, so most of my purchasing is usually based on the marketing (trailers, ads, etc) and professional reviews. That way, you're not going into a series completely blind, but neither do you have to watch the entire thing on your computer before actually owning it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just doesn't appeal to me personally.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

I own a lot of DVDs, so its not like I don't understand.

That being said, a lot of R1 fans ARE still in the mindset that the "real" way of watching a show is on disc, which is insane.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

That being said, a lot of R1 fans ARE still in the mindset that the "real" way of watching a show is on disc, which is insane.
Thank God I'm not one of them. Laughing
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
On F/Z and Gundam Unicorn, the price really isn't worth it. While I don't get to bask in the glory of F/Z on blu-ray on my big HD TV ASAP, that's alright, I already watched it on my computer. I'm content with waiting a year or more to actually own it.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Broadcasting licenses are a flat fee as broadcast times are agreed before signing. It's merchandise that brings in the brass after that, and that includes DVD, and Bluerays, but that can't happen if those are not available. They can't whinge that no-one's buying discs when they aren't making them available, or try to take advantage of that by making just a few and then try and gouge the buyers, I'll never play that game.
Well said, Mohawk.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

WUT.

And people who watch shows digitally say we should get with the times, and to forget DVDs because it will diminish.

That's great and all, but I mostly prefer DVDs while someone prefers just stream. I'm actually subscribed to Funimation's online service, and I use an HDMI cable to connect to the TV. I HATE, absolutely DESPISE watching shows on the computer. There's no right or wrong way to watch a show, but I don't think I would call anyone insane over it.

Also, I never pay full MSRP for anything, unless I really, really want to.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I sometimes wonder how Western anime fans would deal having to live in Japan, where everything is 400-450 dollars per series.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I sometimes wonder how Western anime fans would deal having to live in Japan, where everything is 400-450 dollars per series.

They'd DVR everything, like normal people do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11