• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
S'more have banned me from their Facebook page over GE999 lol (Blog Post).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
So S'more Have Banned me from posting on their Facebook Page and deleted my posts lol

Why you might ask, simple, because i complained about the cover choices they were making for Galaxy Express 999. This is my most anticipated release. First i get the news its hardsubs. I swallow and think , oh well, at least im still getting it. BUT then they start showing the covers, the first you have seen was awful. It had the 444 train on it and a terrible logo and just about everything about it was wrong. It had a bright blue sky background for GE999 FFS!.

Anyway by some sort of miracle we managed to get them to change it as they copied and pasted Stock Galaxy Express image and said how about this? Oh i dont know Space Background , correct train and characters. hmmm yeah that might be better. As if they have no idea.

2 days ago they posted alt. covers for Box 2 and Box 3 and lo and behold we are back to morons again. I posted them in this forum on the S'more change GE999 cover thread. (being banned though for something so simple i wanted to open a new thread so i hope that's okay)

So i told them they were doing it wrong and once again told them , Space background , main characters and the train was all that was needed. I also posted a picture of a Japanese DVD Collection to highlight how the set should look.

They took my advice this time by deleting every post i ever made and banning me from posting again on their page. Now i have supported them through no subs and Hard Subs on that page. At all times no matter how nerd raging i got i also said how i understood a budget means certain things have to be certain ways. But a cover design simply isnt one of them.

Sadly they didn't see it my way. They think that being as cheap and tacky as possible is the way forward. As im sure your all aware it isnt.

I dont think anyone wanted this release to be good as much as me. But i thought at bare minimum i would get 3 sets that look good on my shelf. Next to my other GE999 merchandise/DVDs. What it seems I'm going to get is something that sticks out like a sore thumb. Something that has no idea what franchise it hails from.

I'm left bemused, frustrated and immensely confused that a company can even license a product despite seemingly not knowing anything about it. They can then treat it in such a poor way that even a complete novice of said series can spot the mistakes. They can also ignore all advice and continue with something so obviously wrong, something that is clearly a Business mistake and treat their work and pride of work with such negligence. They can be ignorant to something that i cant possibly fathom they aren't able to see.

I'am very sad that Discotek didn't get this series when they had the chance. Instead former employees of Rhino did. Rhino were one of the worst DVD companies in history. They come in thinking they were cool by licensing old franchises and then went on to treat them poorly and do nothing but upset those whom they want to sell their DVDs too.

S'more have every trait. And now they are in the anime business. God help any franchise they get their hands on.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
Man, that sucks, they sound worse to talk to on Facebook than RACS.

Do you think you're still going to buy the series after this? Just a suggestion if you are, but there are places online where you can find DVD covers, perhaps you could find one for a European or Japanese release, print it out, and just switch the covers? At least then, it would look good on your shelf, no?
But at this point, I wouldn't feel bad buying a bootleg with really good subs instead. No company should make me feel better possibly buying a bootleg. Wonder if there's an R4 set or something out there.
moonie92

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
You know what, just put a comment on their wall telling them how terrible their covers are. Worse than Junkers Come Here, at least that one made me laugh, those are just sad, and I've never even seen GE999 but isn't it supposed to be about space and uh trains... not a character that looks like a puppet, or is this show puppets in space or something.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Junkers "Call me YOON-KERS!!!" Come Here. Laughing Who thought that cover was a good idea?

There's a good thought there, though. Maybe S'more should put a little speech bubble on the cover with Tetsuro saying, "Hey guys, it's pronounced THREE NINE, okay?"
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Junkers "Call me YOON-KERS!!!" Come Here. Laughing Who thought that cover was a good idea?..."

Madman Entertainment obviously thought better for the Australian release (thankfully):

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
ailblentyn wrote:
Junkers "Call me YOON-KERS!!!" Come Here. Laughing Who thought that cover was a good idea?..."

Madman Entertainment obviously thought better for the Australian release (thankfully):

B...but...how will all the Australians know it's pronounced "Yoon-kers"!? Sad
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
^Oh man, that cover is gorgeous! Do you know of any sites that have Australian DVD covers? I would love to just print that out and cover up mine!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^Oh man, that cover is gorgeous! Do you know of any sites that have Australian DVD covers? I would love to just print that out and cover up mine!

Sorry, no. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't suggest anyone to buy it. Just download it illegally from somewhere. If they can't even get the cover right, chances are everything else is a hackjob too.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
I wouldn't suggest anyone to buy it. Just download it illegally from somewhere.

Not buying it would be good,but downloading it illegally isn't good.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
You're in the wrong thread. "I don't like the cover so I'm going to download it" belongs here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1