• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Getting Tired of Scrapped Princess

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GUTB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It's not the stale techno-fantasy genre so derivitive of countless RPGs and other anime that's pushing me away, it's the utter failure of the writing to live up to its own promise. Essentially, the story pulls its punches and steadfastly refuses to ask difficult questions. When a difficult question is asked like "Is it okay to murder an innocent because she may one day end the world?" the series forces itself to turn away and settles for not thinking about it. Meanwhile no one bothers really trying to kill Pacifica. There's so much dramatic potential in that, but the series runs away every time it comes down to facing the issue.

It's almost as if the producers signed on for simple moralism, and when faced with unexpectedaly complex and/or difficult issues just force a smile and look away. Robbed of dramatic impact, all we have left is style. I want call the series' implementation of the ancient techno-fantasy theme particularily bad, but nor is it especially good. Not enough to keep this series in my high regard, unfortunately.
ÄlveKatt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that Scrapped Princess is getting along very nicely. It seems like it will get itself out of the trap of simplifying things into good vs evil. And it has built up a nice world with a diversity of mindsets. It has a prophecy, but many poeple in the world of the scrapped princess sees the many reasonswhy it might be a lie, and why shouldn't they when as viewer you can see those reasons yourself with just a little thought.

Maybe the creators have thought the issue through a bit too much. And have forgotten that just because something is obvious to one charachter it doesn't nescesary mean that another have the capacity or background to enterpit it that way. But time will tell. I think it is to early to say that it lacks anything.

And haven't you noticed? Pacifica seem to have this strange calming power over people. I guess Scrapped Princess is sort off a ripoff of Nausicaä the manga, but i still think it is worth looking at.
Masayume

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:44 am Reply with quote
I rather like Scrapped Princess. From the 10 some odd episodes I've watched of it. Its comical, and has a pretty interesting story, and is a change from what I'm used to. *shrugs* So I like it. I see very little wrong with any of it and I just figure the story will settle itself in time and the initial question such as is it ok to kill an innocent who may potentially destroy the world, will probably be answered. Just sit back and enjoy the flow then at the end judge it in its entirity ^_~
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:58 am Reply with quote
I will have to check out this anime and repost, sounds very intresting. It also sounds like GUTB has made some good points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ÄlveKatt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:30 pm Reply with quote
GUTB

Watch up to episode 12. I just saw it. And it contains a big plot-twist. My idea that it might be a bit off a Nausicaä ripoff became alot less likely. And stuff happened.

It might just be the episode you were waiting for. I don't know if it contains what you expect or want. But it made the story more interesting if you ask me.
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Cool

Hmmm... I must be easy to please as I love the show.

I find it entertaining and the backstory very interesting. I dont think this is a simple case of good vs. evil.

It is not that easy to kill someone who you see as innocent. What if your told all your life that a certain person is evil one thing and you meet that person and your instincts tell you that this is a good person? wouldnt that throw everything you were taught about that person in turmoil?

IMHO this is a perfect case of those who control the media sources control the views of the story. We dont know the whole story and are just beginning to suspect the depth of this.
DarkParagon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I love this series. There's nothing I dislike more than an story that takes a "message" they are trying to get across and "explore" it to the point that they let it get in the way of the entertainment of the show. Maybe it's that I love simplicity. I think the KISS principle is a good one. I like a smart show, but I don't want one that will allow itself to get so caught up in one idea that the focus slows the flow of things. The exploration of whether or not it is okay to kill someone that is said to one day destroy the world is, for me at any rate, an internal question I can explore of my own free will and don't really need the story to explore it for me. The question is out there in the show but it is one left really for us to decide upon ourselves. Is it... or isn't it okay? I don't need episodes devoted to it to help me explore this thought.

Of course... that's just my opinion. Like I said... I'm simple. Wink

- DP
Lancerest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I would like to say that, up until this series, I refused to watch subs. It's true. I have 103 anime DVD's and not one was listened to in Japanese. Oh, I'd put the subtitles on after watching through the first time just to see how much the story changed (if at all), but being 28 years old, I have an English oriented mindset that is hard to break. But I read about Scrapped Princess in NewType and decided that it looked too good to have to wait two more years for an eventual domestic release(US), so I broke my solemn vow and downloaded a.."Fan Sub" (Think Dr. Evil for a moment...ok, the moment has passed). So what we have now is someone who enjoys the series so much that he has decided that Japanese voice acting isn't as cumbersome as he feared. It even led me to purchase Sakura Diaries Collector's Edition even though it has no English voice track. Any series that can convert even one person has to be at least decent...
Masayume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:07 pm Reply with quote
*gives Lancerest a huge hug, and a gigantic cookie on it that says "Good for You!" on it* >^^< I'm happy to hear that one more person has been wavered to be more open. Definitely can't wait for the DVD release though. Someone had better license and release this series!
ÄlveKatt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Masayume wrote:
Someone had better license and release this series!

They scout forums like this one, no? I'm sure they must know that there are many who want to see this series on DVD.

It'de be downright silly if noone picks it up. I hope Bandai. They seem to be the best option in my experience.
Lancerest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Bandai and not ADV? I guess everyone has there preferences...
ÄlveKatt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. i am hearing both great and sucks about ADV. So i am not sure. Animeigo seems to have a damn good reputation too. I got their Macross box. (On e-bay because animeigo absolutely refused to ship it outside the US.)
Lancerest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm biased. When 92 of your DVD's have ADV written on the side, it tends to happen. But all must agree (excluding the original poster) that Scrapped Princess is a good series worthy of a domestic release, regardless who licenses it! (Of course, this is only based off of the first 12 episodes... But I have a good feeling about this one...)
Masayume

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:36 am Reply with quote
ADV is ok >_> They're just a little too uptight in my opinion. As long as it doesn't go to FUNimation I'm ok. Media Blasters would probably be a good one too. They tend to do a good job and put more episodes for the money on a DVD. Which is what I tend to look for.
Lancerest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:49 am Reply with quote
Ok, this is totally ripping this thread to pieces, but I'm curious. In what way is ADV too uptight? Maybe I'm missing "The Big Picture", I don't know. I guess in order to keep with the original topic, I'll reiterate by saying that Scrapped Princess is a good series. I like it bunches. (Was that successful enough?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2