• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Oh man, I'm glad the anime changed that."

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Question, in Bunny Drop how old is Rin spoiler[after the time skip?]

Rin is spoiler[fifteen years old after the timeskip, and seventeen years old when Daikichi agrees to marry her. But I don't think they actually get married in the Manga (as in, it ends with his agreeing to marry her, but doesn't cover the wedding itself). To make matters worse, she wants to have his baby. Disgusting. Yes, it turns out they aren't blood related, but that hardly makes it better.]

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, spoiler[Rin is 16 when she first proposes to Daikichi. He tells her she is too young for marriage and that graduating is the thing that should be uppermost in her mind. He forbids her from raising the issue again until after her graduation. Unsurprisingly, and being the determined soul that she is, she promptly proposes to him again after her graduation. I believe she is 18 at that point.]

BTW, they had been sleeping in separate rooms for many years by that stage.

Big spoiler. spoiler[After her second proposal is accepted, Rin visits her mother who reveals to Rin that Daikichi's grandfather is not her (Rin's) father. Rin passes this on to Daikichi. He then informs her that he knew this all along from her baby health book. He kept mum about it because he believed he wouldn't have been able to look after her if people knew they weren't related.] That's the part I find a cop out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks dtm42 and errinundra. spoiler[She was as young as I was suspecting. I honestly don't care if they are related or not. What bothers me is 1 part the age difference, 1 part how dang young Rin is (a 25 year difference wouldn't bother me if the younger were say, 25 or 30) and 5 parts that Daikichi raised her.]
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
*ahem* Warning: the opinions expressed in this post are of the user himself and do not reflect the opinions of any one else. Read at your own discretion.

Razz

Okay, it's not going to be that serious, but in reading some of the comments in the thread, I feel I have to say something.

I wish people would stop trying to compare the works, honestly. It's bad enough we're stuck with anime that's derived from other (profitable) sources, but to read complaints about differences (or praises, in some regard) is tiresome.

Every works should stand on its own. As I watch anime, I couldn't give a damn what happens in the game, book, (visual) novel, or other source. I care that what I'm watching tells a good story.

I don't think some of you understand what it's like as we watch an anime and there are comments made like "OMG! You guys, wait until the next season because things are going to get good!" or "Yeah, it's sad that [character] spoiler[dies] because she was my favorite. Maybe they'll change this in the anime." (ps: using past tense in a comment with a spoiler tag is a spoiler.)

I know this is based on passion for the franchise, but if the opinion can't stand alone for the works itself, then it's an opinion I'm not going to care about.

When Erin took over Shelf Life and reviewed Popotan, I was furious at her. Not because she basically chewed it up and spit it out, but the fact she compared the anime to the game which features Mii ... uh... well, doing something most little girls wouldn't be thought of doing.

This type of opinion is worthless because the questionable action was no where found in the anime. Worse, it was obvious the game influenced her opinion of the series as she started seeing things in it which I did not.

That's what many of you do, and as an anime viewer only, I'd appreciate it if you'd at least consider not everyone reads or plays the other sources which are clearly affecting your opinion of the anime, making it useless to me.

That's all I have to say on this matter.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
So, we're to discuss how we feel about positive changes in anime from the original version without comparing the two?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
So, we're to discuss how we feel about positive changes in anime from the original version without comparing the two?

LOL. No. I'm just stating my opinion when these discussions go outside this thread. It's good this one exists, but it's certainly not going to stop the issue outside the discussion.

Maybe I should have stated it better. Sorry about that.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Even so, CCS did, ahem, de-CLAMP-ify Rolling Eyes a lot of the relationships for the little-kid anime:
Sakura in the anime seems to be sweatdropping more at Tomoyo's obsessive enthusiasm for embarrassing costume videos than the, um, reason for them. And the third series brings in Ruby/Nakuru as a heterosexual-disclaimer "love" interest for Touya, so the storylines can spend more time explaining that Touya, like Li, was only attracted to Yukito by an intuitive sense for his supernatural abilities, rather than just...the reason everyone was "supposed" to be thinking.

CLAMP were surprised that the Ribon editor let them get away with a lot of that stuff in the first place, Rika and Terada in particular (which was toned down to a mostly one-way crush in the anime). Nakuru was never a serious love interest for Touya though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
My inner pedant is making me tell you that CCS was serialised in Nakayoshi, not Ribon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5