• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Oh man, I'm glad the anime changed that."

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Very true. I was just trying to clear up the misunderstanding about review versus rating, not trying to take kyokun703's side. I know that - by and large - the Japanese like the ending, that's one of my gripes about this whole mess. It just shows how socially backwards they are.

I wasn't aware socially backwards was a synonym with 'progressive'. What's next, Sailor Moon is socially backwards for having a homosexual couple? Personally the fact you can find the freedom to do what you want in anime and manga is why it's such a progressive medium that draws in people from around the world. Just because someone might find a subject disgusting or against their own beliefs doesn't mean they should call it "backwards" just because other people are more accepting and open about it. They can turn around and do the same to you, after all. Shunning something always sounds more backwards than being indifferent or accepting of it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
"If a man gets attacked by a younger girl who tries to get intimate with him, it's the man's fault because the girl is innocent."

..........I'm sorry. WHAT!?

Who said that?

TitanXL wrote:
Shunning something always sounds more backwards than being indifferent or accepting of it.

Another laughable TitanXL comment. I could say why it is so laughable, but A: it's obvious anyway and B: it would be a waste of my time.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Who said that?

I can't remember....exactly. But I've heard that is how they think. Anime hyper
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Though, it is a possibility that the Japanese like Usagi Drop as just a story. They might feel differently if it was taking place in real life. I definitely this way about Kodomo No Jikan.

I hate Usagi Drop but I'm fine with Kodomo No Jikan. spoiler[ For one thing, there's no pedophilia in Kodomo No Jikan. However, Kodomo No Jikan had its own Usagi Drop storyline that was more akin to the original concept of a man raising a girl for the expressed purpose of being his wife. Kodomo No Jikan's response to the idea {simplified}? "That is wrong, no matter how you look at it. She's looks to you as her father." "I realize that now so I won't do it."]

I love people who complain things they don't even read or watch. It makes me feel like I'm missing out on some juicy ignorance.

Still, no has yet to get to the heart of my problem with Usagi Drop. spoiler[Daikichi has love for Rin but it doesn't seem apparent to me that he's in love with her. So why does he choose to accept her as his wife? Because it's easier for him to do that than change his lifestyle. The most disgusting part for me is when Rin's patting down his bed, saying something about soon it will be theirs; He's not interested, he's not disgusted, he just doesn't care.

..."Daughters with Benefits"... Amusingly, the initial point for Daikichi was just the continued hot meals. Also, I really feel sorry for the childhood friend who loses the love of his life to his own father figure, namely her own father figure {I really hate this series as that should read "her own father"}. And he takes it so well. Unbelievably so in fact...]

Anyways...
The only change I liked in the Karin anime was they made Anju more vampire-like from the start. It works to drive home the fact how alone Karin was in her home life. spoiler[However, seeing how the heart of the manga was Karin seperating from her family, especially her sister, it makes it harder on the characters if they're closer at the start. The manga made it a point to emphasis Karin's lonliness after Anju fully turned and stopped being awake during the day.]

Of course, a better beginning can also make a worse ending. Besides, the anime dropped its wonderful sense of melancholy fairly quickly because that wasn't the type of story they wanted to tell.

Pani Poni to Pani Poni Dash, all of it was improved beyond the characters and basic story plots. Even the manga's art is just so bad...

Moonphase, I loved how Hazuki and Artemis finally came together as sisters in the anime and I wanted to see how their relationship changed from there. Then I tried some of the manga...
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I hate Usagi Drop but I'm fine with Kodomo No Jikan. spoiler[ For one thing, there's no pedophilia in Kodomo No Jikan.]

WTF are you talking about. I believe it doesn't take depiction of actual penetrative sex for certain content to be considered paedophilic in nature. Now I'm not here to condemn KnJ as it has already been beaten to death, but I simply cannot let you get away with that outrageous statement.

However misunderstood and unfairly maligned KnJ maybe, it is undeniably paedophilic. The entire premise of the story revolves around a grown man's struggle with the advances of a highly sexualised 9 year old. As far as I can tell the subject is not treated with the gravity nor propriety it demands but rather played for laughs and titillation at every turn. Granted I only made it through a handful of episodes but regardless of how the story turns out I would not hesitate to label it a work with heavy paedophilic undertones.

I'm not here to make moral judgements either way, but your comparison is frankly frickin' ridiculous.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
I have one that I can describe in fair detail: Angelic Layer. The manga had a ludicrous excuse for Shuuko's absence that CLAMP somehow thought was cute instead of, say, cruel. The anime supplied a reason that both allows for sympathy and spoiler[ties into the back story of the setting.] While the anime has fillers, the tournament setup of the series actually meant that they enhanced Misaki's journey, while the manga felt rushed and disjointed. Oujiro was disturbingly creepy in the manga and relied on a gimmick, while he was a likable character with his own personality in the anime.

I actually have similar feelings about Card Captor Sakura and Chobits. It seems that CLAMP adaptations were far superior when the animation studio had a more free reign to to excise all of the disturbing, incoherent, angst-ridden conspiracies that CLAMP likes to insert into their stories.

Angelic Layer was actually the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.
It should be noted that CLAMP (Nanase Ohkawa in particular) were deeply involved with the CCS anime. Ohkawa was also responsible for the changes to the ending in Chobits since, while she didn't have time to write all the scripts herself, she did lay down the beginning and ending episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Pixelationist wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
I hate Usagi Drop but I'm fine with Kodomo No Jikan. spoiler[ For one thing, there's no pedophilia in Kodomo No Jikan.]

WTF are you talking about.

Exactly. This is the type of mindset I referred to in another thread about "well, it doesn't exactly ever get there or show it, so it's obviously not that." Rolling Eyes
I've seen all of KnJ, and while no actual molestation goes on, it's obviously trying to get the lolicon crowd to fap to it. Plus, the whole deal with the spoiler[wife-raising step-dad and girl's advances on her teacher are really never properly resolved.] Where the show ultimately went wrong was in how they tried to take a look at the relationship between teachers and students and the responsibilities/hurdles of the teachers, and then loaded it up with ecchi lolicon.
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I actually have similar feelings about Card Captor Sakura and Chobits. It seems that CLAMP adaptations were far superior when the animation studio had a more free reign to to excise all of the disturbing, incoherent, angst-ridden conspiracies that CLAMP likes to insert into their stories.

It should be noted that CLAMP (Nanase Ohkawa in particular) were deeply involved with the CCS anime. Ohkawa was also responsible for the changes to the ending in Chobits since, while she didn't have time to write all the scripts herself, she did lay down the beginning and ending episodes.

Even so, CCS did, ahem, de-CLAMP-ify Rolling Eyes a lot of the relationships for the little-kid anime:
Sakura in the anime seems to be sweatdropping more at Tomoyo's obsessive enthusiasm for embarrassing costume videos than the, um, reason for them. And the third series brings in Ruby/Nakuru as a heterosexual-disclaimer "love" interest for Touya, so the storylines can spend more time explaining that Touya, like Li, was only attracted to Yukito by an intuitive sense for his supernatural abilities, rather than just...the reason everyone was "supposed" to be thinking.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

It should be noted that CLAMP (Nanase Ohkawa in particular) were deeply involved with the CCS anime. Ohkawa was also responsible for the changes to the ending in Chobits

Even so, CCS did, ahem, de-CLAMP-ify Rolling Eyes a lot of the relationships for the little-kid anime:

I suppose to would be fair to modify it as thus: CLAMP adaptations are better when they are adapted for the cute and friendly elements rather than for the ANGST! true love elements. This would, I think, partially explain why Tsubasa Chronicles was a debacle despite deviating from the manga quite a bit, while Kobato was great.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

I've seen all of KnJ, and while no actual molestation goes on, it's obviously trying to get the lolicon crowd to fap to it. Plus, the whole deal with the spoiler[wife-raising step-dad and girl's advances on her teacher are really never properly resolved.] Where the show ultimately went wrong was in how they tried to take a look at the relationship between teachers and students and the responsibilities/hurdles of the teachers, and then loaded it up with ecchi lolicon.

The manga is so much better when it comes to depth and the psychological issues.
But yes, the fanservice is still there. Though there is actually fanservice for everyone, whether you want little girls, grown women, little boys, or grown men. Anime hyper EVERYONE gets a naked scene. Anime hyper I just ignore the more disturbing ecchi lolicon scenes....because the story is just that good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
The manga is so much better when it comes to depth and the psychological issues.
But yes, the fanservice is still there. Though there is actually fanservice for everyone, whether you want little girls, grown women, little boys, or grown men. Anime hyper EVERYONE gets a naked scene. Anime hyper I just ignore the more disturbing ecchi lolicon scenes....because the story is just that good.

I really have been meaning to check out the manga, I enjoyed the psychological issues in the anime, and the fact people say the manga is better makes me want to read it. But I kind of have a rule against reading manga online, and Australia is kind of serious about this sort of material and the fact I do volunteer work with children will probably set larger signals off. Kind of why I actually fear at times writing that I saw the series. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
The amazon reviews on Japan's amazon site for the last volume were not favorable.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/うさぎドロップ-10-番外編-Feelコミックス-宇仁田/dp/439676541X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342979628&sr=1-3

4&1/2 Stars is a not favorable rating? Confused

I know this is a bit late but I just noticed that you did not link to the right volume. Volume 10 is a bunch of side stories about Rin's childhood I believe.

This is the final volume and it is only 3 1/2 stars. While that is not a bad rating per say. It is definitely a drop from previous volumes, showing there was some displeasure with the ending. And yes if you read reviews on the site many people seemed to agree with the complaints about the ending we have here.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/うさぎドロップ-9-Feelコミックス-宇仁田-ゆみ/dp/4396765258/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343255971&sr=1-1
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm always glad when an anime adaption follows an original story instead that of an unfinished manga/light novel/etc. Perhaps the fans of the original work might be dissappointed but I'd rather see a proper ending than leave the series unfinished for all eternity.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the anime adaptation of Bunny Drop ended the way it did instead of continuing like the manga did and having a very (and I mean VERY) awkward ending and changing the way I thought of the book series forever. (If you haven't read Bunny Drop please do but only to vollume 4, vollume 5 is when things become very awkward, other than that it's very sweet and a very loving book series.) Very Happy
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Question, in Bunny Drop how old is Rin spoiler[after the time skip? I want to know how old she is at the beginning of the time skip and how old when she marries Daisuke because her age will greatly influence how I view the ending.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5