• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It wasn't TYPE-MOON who wrote Fate/Zero, which may (in fact, almost certainly does) explain why despite the pacing issues it is a far better work than other TYPE-MOON adaptations. I mean, Garden of Sinners was so flawed that even the plot holes had plot holes.

It also wasn't Typemoon that wrote other TM adaptations so it doesn't really explain that much.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
It wasn't TYPE-MOON who wrote Fate/Zero, which may (in fact, almost certainly does) explain why despite the pacing issues it is a far better work than other TYPE-MOON adaptations. I mean, Garden of Sinners was so flawed that even the plot holes had plot holes.

It also wasn't Typemoon that wrote other TM adaptations so it doesn't really explain that much.

I think what dtm42 meant was that it wasn't Typemoon that wrote even the original Fate Zero light novels that the anime was adapted from. Though Nasu obviously had some influence and oversight, it was Gen Urobuchi who actually wrote the novels.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I think what dtm42 meant was that it wasn't Typemoon that wrote even the original Fate Zero light novels that the anime was adapted from. Though Nasu obviously had some influence and oversight, it was Gen Urobuchi who actually wrote the novels.

Was it? He was talking about adaptations, which means he either hasn't read the sources or doesn't consider them important for his argument. Besides Nasu probably had more influence on Fate/Zero novels than any adaptations of his own works. He only had to deal with his friend instead of a whole production committee.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Yes. I don't know what (if anything) Urobuchi had to do with the adaptation, but he wrote the original novels and the quality of the story and especially dialogue does come through. If the source material that an Anime adapts is of high quality then it stands to reason that the adaptation has a better chance of being good too. But if the source material isn't so hot, then the team adapting it has a much harder job. Of course, this does not mean that an adaptation of good source material will always be good or that an adaptation of bad source material will always be bad. But the source material's quality does matter.

So long story short, I put many of the problems I found with the Garden of Sinners movie series down to TYPE-MOON, just as I put much of Fate/Zero's inherent intellectual quality down to Urobuchi.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think they're usually referring to ones like the circling scene with Kirei, Tokiomi and Kirei's father in the very first episode, or the lengthy Kirei/Gilgamesh discussions about Kirei's desires.

Ah, the infamous circling scene. And then there was also another scene in Season 2 which was arguably worse. It featured several minutes of Waver being in a sleeping bag moving nothing but his mouth; must have been bloody cheap to animate. Although I didn't mind it personally I do concede that it isn't a good look for a series to pull that sort of stunt.

But I did like the scenes with spoiler[Gilgamesh tempting Kirei,] the subtle manipulation and symbolism with the chess board were really well done.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
i will def buy fate/zero when it goes down in price, 350$ is a little much for a 24 episode series. I can wait, when the price is down, who ever releases the series with a common price like 60$ has my money(hopefully released on blu ray, and funimation is the most likely candidate to grab this great gem, aniplex usually goes to them for a release in the US, or a price drop from them would be nice too Smile

You might be waiting for a while unless AoA is able to bring over a DVD boxset (which doesn't exist in retail in Japan. DVDs of the show only went straight to rental). So, it might be faster, easier and cheaper than the BD boxes, to just import the Euro release by Kaze - I'm not sure it has English subs (I'm leaning towards no), but at least you'll own the show on the cheap.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

But I did like the scenes with spoiler[Gilgamesh tempting Kirei,] the subtle manipulation and symbolism with the chess board were really well done.

I liked them, but I can see how some people would find them trying to get through. And the one in the last episode of the first season was particularly awkward since they clearly cut some dialogue from it, when Gilgamesh mentions Kirei talking a lot about one particular Servant (or maybe it was a Master, but I think it was a Servant), except we never saw him say a thing about it. I think that episode had a particularly large amount of content added to the episode for the BDs.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
If the source material that an Anime adapts is of high quality then it stands to reason that the adaptation has a better chance of being good too. But if the source material isn't so hot, then the team adapting it has a much harder job. Of course, this does not mean that an adaptation of good source material will always be good or that an adaptation of bad source material will always be bad.

I agree, but unless you've read the source material you're still speculating. Tsukihime retained only the premise and major plot points from the original. There is pretty much no way possible to judge the original from the adaptation beyond liking or disliking the premise itself.

I do consider F/Z to be the best TM adaptation (can't say about KnK, haven't read the originals) although I didn't find it intellectualy stimulating at all. It was all pretty action and general Nasuverse chatter for me.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

They didn't write it but I'm sure they supervised the project. The novels are still labelled as a collaboration project between Urobuchi and Type-Moon.

As for the story grade, I basically agree with the B+. It lost a lot of key scenes from the novel and really does fall short of expectations. The Rin episode is also effectively anime-original despite it appearing in the novel.

And for those questioning Urobuchi's role in the anime, he only supervised the script.

I beg to differ with the Art and Music scores but that's probably just me.
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think they're usually referring to ones like the circling scene with Kirei, Tokiomi and Kirei's father in the very first episode, or the lengthy Kirei/Gilgamesh discussions about Kirei's desires.

I liked the Kirei+Gilgamesh scenes. I found them to be both interesting and important. And while the circling scene was poorly done, it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. And it's just that one several-minute-scene that I hear so many people go back to when they say the first season was slow. It feels a lot like people are letting a bad first impression discolor the contents of the episodes that came after. Personally, though, I found the first episode as a whole to be really enjoyable.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
And the one in the last episode of the first season was particularly awkward since they clearly cut some dialogue from it, when Gilgamesh mentions Kirei talking a lot about one particular Servant (or maybe it was a Master, but I think it was a Servant), except we never saw him say a thing about it.

Gilgamesh said that of all the masters Kirei had been investigating spoiler[via Assassin], he had focused the most on spoiler[Kariya]. But, he was explaining this to Kirei as something that Kirei was doing subconsciously and had been unaware of (at least, that was my interpretation), so it actually works in the scene that it was something we hadn't known yet, too. Additionally, spoiler[Kariya] was one of the only masters where we actually DID see a scene of Kirei trailing/investingating him, which was in the "unimportant" Rin episode. Wink And the reason that Kirei had focused on this master so much became the backbone of much of his development in season 2.

jl07045 wrote:
I do consider F/Z to be the best TM adaptation (can't say about KnK, haven't read the originals) although I didn't find it intellectualy stimulating at all. It was all pretty action and general Nasuverse chatter for me.

Intellectually stimulating is highly subjective and going to be on an individualistic basis. For me, F/Z was. But so were things like Evangelion and Utena, and there are plenty of people who will say the opposite about those as well. But, as someone who is uninitiated with Type-Moon and enjoyed the development in F/Z, your comment makes me think that maybe I'd find some substance in the infamous "Nasuverse chatter" in other series as well. Smile
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Among comparing/contrasting Fate/Zero with KnK, it ought to be thrown out there that KnK was written by a much younger Nasu than the one who wrote Fate or even Tsukihime, and that the adaptation itself was pretty well modified from a series that Nasu himself wasn't necessarily proud of.

On another note, I came to like this director's style for horror stories after rewatching the first KnK film, and taking that, along with the "Kerrytugu" episode, I honestly have to say I'd destroy some wallets for a Tsukihime adaptation done in a similar fashion. At least if Mahoyo or a real-deal Heaven's Feel anime aren't already on the ufotableXTYPE-Moon chopping block.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Because that line of thinking is incestuous.

Seems to be working for Type Moon. They are the original creators of Fate/Zero, picking out who wrote or animated what for them doesn't really matter, since after all it was written for Type Moon and they most likely overlooked every piece of it as well, besides of course, setting the guidelines.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
I loved every minute of F/Z, makes me hopeful that Tsukihime will get some of this caliber of animation

Well I liked F/SN. However for Type Zero,i'll think I'll wait for a while at least until it gets an English dub version .

Also Tsukihime's getting a remake????? Unless it's a sequel to the series Geneon released a while back,I doubt it'll happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It wasn't TYPE-MOON who wrote Fate/Zero, which may (in fact, almost certainly does) explain why despite the pacing issues it is a far better work than other TYPE-MOON adaptations.
At the very least, it explains to me why I liked F/Z so much better than F/SN, though I agree with Theron and others that F/Z actually makes F/SN (the VN mind you) even better in hindsight, mostly because of Saber, Kirei, and Kiritsugu->Shirou background that is hinted at in F/SN but not detailed. F/SN is a cool concept with way too much fat, and F/Z sort of helps average things out in a way, I guess.

dtm42 wrote:
I mean, Garden of Sinners was so flawed that even the plot holes had plot holes.
Not to derail too much since this is F/Z thread, but...... For example? The KnK anime has a lot of confusing and awkward dialog (made worse by the movies being out of order), doesn't doesn't spend a lot of time explaining how everything works to the level of detail that FSN and Urobuchi works do (made worse by the seriousness with which the story uses some really crazy stretches of the imagination), but there isn't really much in the way of things I'd consider real, actual, problematic plot holes in KnK. (I think KnK has its own thread buried deep in the anime forum, if you want to take this there.)

Konopan wrote:
Among comparing/contrasting Fate/Zero with KnK, it ought to be thrown out there that KnK was written by a much younger Nasu than the one who wrote Fate or even Tsukihime, and that the adaptation itself was pretty well modified from a series that Nasu himself wasn't necessarily proud of.
Also, this.

Etrien wrote:
But, as someone who is uninitiated with Type-Moon and enjoyed the development in F/Z, your comment makes me think that maybe I'd find some substance in the infamous "Nasuverse chatter" in other series as well.
Honestly I would recommend staying away from Tsukihime in general. It's just not very good. Play Melty Blood story mode and you'll get enough information on the general character relationships, or read some fan works. F/SN anime I'd also avoid, especially now that F/Z is out as an anime, because some stuff in the F/SN anime is mushed together from three distinct F/SN story lines plus some stuff is just made up and it won't jive as well with what you know from F/Z. As for the VN, it's definitely not anything I'd blindly recommend, like ever, but for someone in your situation I would actually highly recommend it, if you can find it. And if you haven't seen KnK, I'd also highly recommend that; I think Zac's review of the series really "gets it" (and he's not a TM fanboy, either) and did a great job of highlighting most of the reasons I also liked it so much.

After F/SN and some general knowledge of Tsukihime, you'll also be primed for just about all the jokes in Carnival Phantasm, too, and because canon Nasuverse is generally completely humorless, Carnival Phantasm is like... fanfiction of fanfiction... it's the perfect release valve for all the jokes and puns that the "real" stories can't make. That said, there's no real intellectual substance in CP; it's just fun.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Not to derail too much since this is F/Z thread, but...... For example?

Eh, after what happened in the recent Lupin 3rd thread I'm a bit wary of discussing Garden of Sinners here, even though it is related to Fate/Zero. I'll take my concerns to the discussion thread in the Anime sub-Forum. But, as it is eight minutes to 4am here in New Zealand, I will first go to bed and get some shut-eye. If I forget to post there please send me a PM to jog my memory.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
After F/SN and some general knowledge of Tsukihime, you'll also be primed for just about all the jokes in Carnival Phantasm, too, and because canon Nasuverse is generally completely humorless, Carnival Phantasm is like... fanfiction of fanfiction... it's the perfect release valve for all the jokes and puns that the "real" stories can't make. That said, there's no real intellectual substance in CP; it's just fun.

There is quite enough humour in the fat of both F/SN and Tsukihime. And even more in their fandiscs that contain canon storylines (well at least F/HA, how canon is Kagetu Tohya is a difficult question). Also most of the info lessons after bad ends are humorous though that probably can't be called canon. That helped the TM stories to be quite dark, but not depressingly so (that and the fact that the characters aren't themselves grim in the first place). That was actually one of my complains about F/Z, that it is depressing even though the subject matter isn't that much darker than Heaven's Feel for example. Well, maybe that's just my bias against Urobuchi, but his stories seem to me like that.

Anyway, Carnival Phantasm definitely beats everything else humorwise. Want more.

Etrien wrote:
Intellectually stimulating is highly subjective and going to be on an individualistic basis. For me, F/Z was. But so were things like Evangelion and Utena, and there are plenty of people who will say the opposite about those as well. But, as someone who is uninitiated with Type-Moon and enjoyed the development in F/Z, your comment makes me think that maybe I'd find some substance in the infamous "Nasuverse chatter" in other series as well.

Well then I can't advise you because those two series weren't like that for me either although I love them both to death. Bear in mind that a lot of that "chatter" consists of Nasu's own fictional metaphysics that have no relation to reality (even if he might think otherwise) and his philosophizing is different in style from Urobuchi's in any case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5