• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommend me a manga that's licensed and out in the US.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:17 am Reply with quote
ShadrachAnki wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Flame of Recca is like a poor man's Naruto. This shonen series is pretty average and silly at times. But if you're looking for something similar to Naruto, than this is for you.

Well, a lot of the shonen series out there are pretty average, all things considered, and Naruto really isn't an exeception to that rule. Before comparing Flame of Recca to Naruto remember that it predates Naruto by five years. So I guess in a way it's like saying a young adult book about witches and wizards published in the 1980s is cliche because of Harry Potter. *shrug* Just my perception on the matter. I've seen Flame of Recca compared to Yuu Yuu Hakusho more often than Naruto, actually. Of course, that was more in regards to the anime, but still.

If you only read the first three volumes of the series then I'm not surprised by your opinion of the series. It does take a few volumes to find its stride, and even then things don't get really interesting until after the big tournament story (the reason a lot of people compare it with YYH) concludes in volume 16 or 17. Incidentally, the anime ends at 42 episodes with the conclusion of the tournament storyline.

~Shadrach Anki

So Flame of Recca doesn't get interesting until later on? Remind me of what people said about Bleach. After reading 5 volume of Bleach and I thought it was pretty average, everyone said it gets alot better and more interesting later on. It got a little bit better but was still pretty much above average. Hopefully Recca isn't annoying as he is in the beginning with his "I must be Ninja and protect my Princess" attitude. I'm not even gonna bother with the "clueless" princess.

YuYu Hakusho is an above average manga in my book and really outshine Flame of Recca. Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
Yes, Recca does eventually get a little bit better. Honestly, though, I liked Tokiya, Fuuko, and Kurei more than Recca and Yanagi anyway. They are the reasons I read the manga, moreso than Recca. That and the story was good despite Recca being on the annoying side. Yanagi is a good source of comic relief at times, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3