• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommend me a manga that's licensed and out in the US.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
ShadrachAnki wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Flame of Recca...
Bleach...
Red River...
Crossover...

Well, I cut out the descriptions for length, but I agree with all these recommendations by HitokiriShadow. It's Crossroad not Crossover, though.

I knew that. I have no idea why I typed over instead of road.

Quote:
Red River is long, but not as long as some of the shoujo series I've seen. It's also one of my favorites. My only warning would have to be that there are quite a lot of romantic scenes, and some of them get rather steamy. I know that isn't a problem for a lot of people, but I know enough people who would freak out about it that I feel it should be mentioned.

I forgot to mention that, but this guy has been reading Gantz and seen Elfen Lied, so I don't think that will be an issue.

Quote:
It's true that there is only one volume of Crossroad available (second volume comes out in January), but the first volume starts the series out strongly. This series, unlike the others that have been recommended, is not a fantasy or action series. It's a drama/real life type story about what really makes a family and people learning to live together.

~Shadrach Anki

I agree that it's really good so far, and I do recommend giving it a try. I mentioned Crossroad and Eden because they are both good based on their first volumes.

I forgot to include these recommendations in my first post:

Battle Royale
In the near future, Japan is ruled by some sort of totalitarian government and there is a very popular reality show called "The Program." In the program, a random high school class is selected to peform. The class is kidnapped while going on a field trip and brought to an island where they are forced to fight each other to the death until only one person remains.

Up to volume 14 is available from Tokyopop in the U.S. and the last volume should come out in March or April of next year.
Warning: This series contains extreme graphic violence and sex. I would consider Battle Royale more violent and gory than Gantz. In addition, Battle Royale can be very disturbing at times.

Vampire Game
Vampire King Duzzel is reincarnated to take vengeance on the reincarnation of King Phelios who killed him in the past. The catch? Duzzel is reincarnated as a catlike creature with almost none of his vampire powers and he has no idea who Phelios' reincarnation is and the only way to find out is by tasting Phelios' descendants' blood. Oh, and he has become the tomboy Princess' pet. The Princess finds out about Duzzle and decides to help him because she hates her family. Romance, adventure and comedy ensue.

Up to volume 13 is available in the U.S. from Tokyopop with two volumes remaining.
Nothing to warn about except that one male character seems to be bi-sexual. I really don't like yaoi, but I didn't mind this little bit at all (his sexuality doesn't even come out until about halfway through the series), so it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I forgot to mention that, but this guy has been reading Gantz and seen Elfen Lied, so I don't think that will be an issue.

Good point, but you never know who else is going to be taking these recommendations to heart, after all. ^_^

Quote:

Vampire Game
[snip]
Up to volume 13 is available in the U.S. from Tokyopop with two volumes remaining.

This one also sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. ^_^

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
ShadrachAnki wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Good point, but you never know who else is going to be taking these recommendations to heart, after all. Anime smile

That's true. As such, I've included warnings on the two new recommendations, and I'll add them to my original recommendations.
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Red River

Wasn't that a John Wayne movie? What's the manga about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Quote:
Red River

Completely irrelevant. Read its plot summary yourself. You can even read its first chapter online at Viz. Free and legal.

Next time, use the Encyclopedia and/or search with Google before tossing out such a dumb question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
remember love wrote:
Quote:
Red River

Completely irrelevant. Read its plot summary yourself. You can even read its first chapter online at Viz. Free and legal.

Next time, use the Encyclopedia and/or search with Google before tossing out such a dumb question.

I don't think it's irrelevant...It wouldn't surprise me if John Wayne had made some kind of influence in Japan and it was shown into a manga... but from the basics of the story it doesn't appear so...and Dormcat do you have a problem with me? Because it seems that you do and I'm not just talking about this post almost all posts that I've made and that you've actually respond to you have waht appears to be attitude against me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
and Dormcat do you have a problem with me?

Yes I do. I have zero tolerance to whoever asks questions without searching the Internet, old posts of the forum, or ANN Encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
remember love wrote:

Yes I do. I have zero tolerance to whoever asks questions without searching the Internet, old posts of the forum, or ANN Encyclopedia.

Then don't answer my question if you have a problem with it, just that simple.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
dormcat wrote:
remember love wrote:

The question was answered in this thread before you even asked it. I included a brief description of the plot when I recommended it.
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:48 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
remember love wrote:
dormcat wrote:
remember love wrote:

The question was answered in this thread before you even asked it. I included a brief description of the plot when I recommended it.

Sorry Hitokiri, I didn't remember seeing it. I just saw it on the 2nd page of the thread which didn't have the description on it which is why I asked and of course dormcat gets all uptight. But sorry for wasteing your time hitokiri and everyone elses except for dormcats', I should of seen that.
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I've learned of some interesting manga from this. Out of the ones mentioned, I'm definitely going to look into Flame of Recca (I had always seen this on the shelves and it seemed interesting but it had too many volumes), Samurai Deeper Kyo (same as FoR), Eden (artstyle looked good and storing seems interesting), and Crossroad (I liked Honey and Clover so I'll probably like this) and possible Vampire Game.

By the way, how is the series Get Backers? I've heard it's good and was wondering why no one recommended it.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
PeaceMaker1 wrote:
By the way, how is the series Get Backers? I've heard it's good and was wondering why no one recommended it.

I've enjoyed what I've seen of the anime, and the manga seems to be quite similar. I'd say it's worth checking out, but I haven't personally done so. I had a roommate who liked it a lot, if that's any help. The only reason I haven't started the series is because I already have so many on my plate.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
PeaceMaker1 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I've learned of some interesting manga from this. Out of the ones mentioned, I'm definitely going to look into Flame of Recca (I had always seen this on the shelves and it seemed interesting but it had too many volumes), Samurai Deeper Kyo (same as FoR), Eden (artstyle looked good and storing seems interesting), and Crossroad (I liked Honey and Clover so I'll probably like this) and possible Vampire Game.

Flame of Recca is like a poor man's Naruto. This shonen series is pretty average and silly at times. But if you're looking for something similar to Naruto, than this is for you. I'm trying to get rid of the first 3 volume I bought. 2 out of 5

Samurai Deeper Kyo is interesting, except it can get tedious as you're seeing who's the strongest/fastest. The whole first ten volumes setup the story, every character Kyo faces get hype up like crazy (think dragon ball z) only to be strike down by one move in different creative ways. Worth taking a looking, currently 30 volume's worth in Japan. 3 out of 5

Getbacker is just like SDK. A lot of style but little substance and cheesy at times. Unlike SDK though, the ending result isn't very clever nor creative, because Ban just use his evil eyes to get out of most sticky situation. The setup for the first 5 or so volume are very simple, the Getbackers are poor and hungry, so Clients hire them to get back an item/person. The GETBACKERs retrieve the item while using their two zany abilitys (Evil eyes and eletricity). After item is brought back, getbackers run into misfortune and lose all their award. Rinse and repeate. While it's fun at first, it gets repetitive, you wonder why they don't just use their ability and get real jobs or even just rob criminals or something. The fanservice is sadly the only highlight to this series. I heard it get backer during the second half, but I'm not holding my breath. 3 out of 5.

All three are standard shonen fanfare and they are all about 25+ volume in length. If you get Getbackers, drop Flame of Recca, or just get one of the 3 titles. There are definitely better titles out theres imo, but who knows you might like it if you're not that critical about cliche.

Hopefully you're find Eden interesting, I'm definitely waiting for the release.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Flame of Recca is like a poor man's Naruto. This shonen series is pretty average and silly at times. But if you're looking for something similar to Naruto, than this is for you.

Well, a lot of the shonen series out there are pretty average, all things considered, and Naruto really isn't an exeception to that rule. Before comparing Flame of Recca to Naruto remember that it predates Naruto by five years. So I guess in a way it's like saying a young adult book about witches and wizards published in the 1980s is cliche because of Harry Potter. *shrug* Just my perception on the matter. I've seen Flame of Recca compared to Yuu Yuu Hakusho more often than Naruto, actually. Of course, that was more in regards to the anime, but still.

If you only read the first three volumes of the series then I'm not surprised by your opinion of the series. It does take a few volumes to find its stride, and even then things don't get really interesting until after the big tournament story (the reason a lot of people compare it with YYH) concludes in volume 16 or 17. Incidentally, the anime ends at 42 episodes with the conclusion of the tournament storyline.

~Shadrach Anki
the_gioy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
Some I would recomend would be:

Vagabond:Tokugawa Era Japan: a new government has just taken power and the land is in disarray. Amidst the turmoil, a young man sets out on a journey seeking spiritual enlightenment by the way of the sword, prepared to slay anyone who might get in his way!

At the aftermath of the Battle of Sekigahara, 17-year-old Takezo and his friend Matahachi - survivors on the losing side - seek refuge at the home of a woman named Oko. Tsujikaze Tenma, the local bandit leader, and his men attack. Takezo manages to defeat Tsujikaze Tenma, while Matahachi sneaks off with Oko and her daughter Akemi. Separated from Matahachi, Takezo returns to his home village of Musashi and finds he is wanted as a criminal! Will Takezo be captured?

Adapted from the fictionalized biography Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, Vagabond depicts the life and times of real-life "sword saint" Miyamoto Musashi.
Note:Great art and from what I have read decent story.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure(it's out now yea!):In a Japanese jail sits 17-year-old Jotaro Kujo: punk, fighter, delinquent - and possessed by a force beyond his control! Around the world evil spirits are awakening: "Stands," monstrous invisible creatures which give their bearers incredible powers.

To save his mother's life, Jotaro must tame his dark forces and travel around the world to Cairo, Egypt, where a hundred-year-old vampire thirsts for the blood of his family. But the road is long, and an army of evil Stand Users wait to kill Jojo and his friends.
note: The manga just started coming out earler this mounth. The anime covers part three of the overall story. Just so you know but its a good series if it does start off imo a bit slow.

and finaly, Prince of Tennis:Ryoma Echizen just joined the Seishun Gakuen Middle School tennis team, which is known for being one of the most competitive teams in Japan. Ryoma has proven his skills by winning four straight American junior tournament titles. With his skills, Ryoma challenges a rule of Seishun Gakuen that freshmen don't represent the team to play in tournaments until summer.
note:I love this series it suprrised me big time and even friends of mine who laughed at it and said they would never like it have grown to enjoy this title.

hope those help Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3