• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Over-rated And Under-Rated Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
What are some anime series you think are over-rated and under-rated and why? And over-rated anime series don't neccessarily have to be anime you hate but just anime you don't think deserve the over-whelming popularity they have.

Over-rated Anime:

Dragonball Z- It's very slowly-paced, the characters, especially the villians, are way too two-dimensional, and the fight scenes are dull, but it continues to reign as one of the most popular anime series ever. For some people, Dragonball Z is the only anime they ever bother to watch. But there's so much better anime, even in the fighting genre, out there than Dragonball Z that to call this series the "greatest action show ever" as Cartoon Network makes it out to be is a tad ambiguous. I can understand that Dragonball Z is a "gateway" series, but even when I was a n00bie anime fan, I couldn't understand what was so great about this show. Even anime fans who happen to like Dragonball Z but aren't like those obessesive fans out there have to admit that there's better anime than Dragonball Z. I think this is probably the most over-rated anime ever.

Escaflowne (the TV series): Yes, I know, I'll probably be assaulted by every anime fan out there for thinking that the Escaflowne TV series is over-rated, but I don't care. I can understand how Escaflowne can be a classic anime but I don't think it's as wowing as everybody else makes it out to be. The plot is another one of those ordinary teenager gets sucked into another world and gets entangled in a mystical war as they try to find their way back home plots. The characters are also very stereotpyical. Hitomi is your average bubbly schoolgirl that happens to have a crush on the cutest guy at school and happens to have some special powers that she uses to help save the day. Allen is the bishounen playboy whom Hitomi instantly develops a crush on and you just know she's going to wind up in a love triangle with this guy.

Millerna is the preppy rival who gets in Hitomi's way by falling in love with the same man. Van is the arrogant hero who Hitomi doesn't always get along with at first but eventually they become friends and spoiler[even develops a romantic interest in each other and of course, he has to become Allen's rival in battle and romance, he has to become Allen's rival in battle and romance], and then you have Mearle, the random anime catgirl. For somebody who's supposed to be the main character, Hitomi's role in the series seems shafted to me. She feels more like someone who's watching everything from the distance rather than being an actual part of everything that's going on. And Hitomi doesn't seem to have any purpose in Gaia. We don't even find out why she was summoned to Gaia in the first place. Just about the only characters who I found half-way interesting were the villians, especially Dilandau, who is one of the best anime villians ever. If it wasn't for the villians, I probably would have gave up on Escaflowne a long time ago. Plus, even though the animation is good, I really don't like the TV series' character designs, especially the really pointy noses. Those are just way too distracting. I don't actually hate Escaflowne. There are some things about it that I do like, but I think it's way too over-rated and I never really got into it. I actually think the movie version is better than the TV series.

Tokyo Mew Mew- I like Tokyo Mew Mew a lot and it is a pretty good series, but I don't think it's as good as a lot of anime fans think it is. The plot is your basic save the world from evil plot most magical girl anime series have. Ichigo is a rip-off of Usagi, Mint is a Rei clone but without the shintoism, and Lettuce is the biggest Ami rip-off I've ever seen. The only of the Mew Mews with original personalities are Pudding and Zakuro. Pudding is a fun character that I like a lot, and I would like Zakuro but her role in the series is way too shafted. The villians are more fun, especially Quiche, and are what really make the show to me. The animal DNA being mixed in with the human DNA to make magical girls and Ichigo turning into a cat was really creative, but the rest of the series is it a bit too average. It's not bad by any means, but I've seen much better magical girl anime than this yet it seems to be really popular right now.

Under-rated Anime

Pokemon- Yes, I think Pokemon is under-rated. A lot of anime fans unfairly bash it because they're the wrong target audience. Pokemon was made for kids, so of course most older anime fans aren't going to like it. Still, even though it's hardly the greatest anime ever, it's not the worst, either. It's completely devoid of character development and it's highly episodic, but is that any different than any American cartoon? The show is still a lot of fun, especially the first two seasons of the series, and the movies have more interesting plots than the TV show. It's interesting to see how many different Pokemon and attacks they can keep coming up with and the Pokemon designs themselves you have to admit are pretty creative. Team Rocket still makes the show amusing to watch and even though the humor in Pokemon isn't drop-dead hilarious, it's still lots of good, clean fun. Pokemon is just one of those anime where it's fun to watch when you're bored and you want to shut your brain down for half an hour. The only reason why I can see someone wouldn't like Pokemon is if you don't like the episodic nature of American cartoons or you just really hate commercialized anime. Plus, it did help introduce a lot of kids to Japanese animation, and any show that can get kids to watch a Japanese show can't be all that bad, can it?

Escaflowne The Movie- A lot of fans of the TV series bash the Escaflowne movie because it's different from the TV show, but it's supposed to be different. It's not supposed to be a condensed movie version of the series, it's supposed to be like an alternate reality universe of Escaflowne. Fans also complain that the movie doesn't give the minor characters enough development, but the movie is supposed to be produced for fans of the series and not for the general public, so you're already supposed to be familiar with them. Besides, even if the movie did give the minor characters more development, I bet most fans would still complain about how different it was. I actually find the characters in the movie to be more interesting than the characters in the series. For one thing, Hitomi has an actual purpose in the movie, and I think her angsty personality is more creative than her bubbly schoolgirl personality of the TV show. Everyone just seems more interesting somehow and the plot itself is more exiciting to me. I also think the animation is way better than the TV show and the character designs are a huge improvement. About the only thing I didn't like about the movie was the anti-climatic ending, which wasn't bad but not quite what I was hoping for, either. The Escaflowne movie isn't a masterpiece, but it's really not as bad as most fans claim it to be. If the fans would just stop trying to compare the movie to the TV show, they'll see that the movie isn't as bad as what they thought.

Angel Links- Lots of anime fans are familiar with Outlaw Star, but it seems like very few anime fans, even those who like Outlaw Star, know what Angel Links is. Although it starts off a little slow at first, it gets a little more interesting about half-way through, and some of the later episodes can be kind of angsty. The animation is way better than Outlaw Star's and I think Meifon is a far more likeable lead character than Gene. The series also has a sad ending and some surprising plot twists. It's just such a shame that people don't seem to know what Angel Links is or if they do know what it is, they've never seen it when it's really a very good show.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Well first, yes, I disagree with your take on Escaflowne. I don't think it's really that overrated, partially because it's not really that incredibly popular and is only as well known as it is due to the fact it was aired on television briefly, although it was also butchered in the process. It does have a lot of cliche elements, I will give you that, but that's hardly unusual for anime of that time period. Hitomi had a huge purpose though, it was really thanks to her that it ended the way it did and she played a pivotal role in how the events unfolded.

Anyways, don't want to get into too much of a debate over that, so I'll put my two cents in on the rest.

Over-Rated:

Dragonball Z - I'll agree here, I just don't see how this title keeps going so strong. The animation isn't really that good and there's just too many scenes where they just stand around in shock or grunting. There's nothing really that impressive about it in any respect and even the action is sub-par with alot of shortcuts used and tense moments are little more than screaming or yelling.

Naruto - This title is just boring and is really not that interesting. It doesn't really break any molds or provide anything that's truly more impressive or immersive than any other title. It's way too drawn out with a bit too much filler and somewhat uninteresting generic characters but yet everyone seems to fall in love with it. Heck if I know why but it seems less than impressive to me and while it may be alright I just don't get the attention it receives myself.

Under-Rated:

Figure 17 - This title is virtually unknown but really deserves more attention. It has such great character development and just tells such a touching story so well that it really draws you into the lives of the characters. The sci-fi element is more a backdrop to the main story which is really the daily lives and trials of the two main characters. I just haven't seen too many series that have been able to do such character depth so well with the level of impact seen in this anime in my opinion. I can see why major fans of action may not be interested in the title as it may get a tad boring for them but otherwise it's just such a great series that deserves more notice than it currently gets.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
As for DBZ's pacing, that's why we have the manga.

For overrated anime, I'll go with Naruto though I am a big fan of it. I also was never really too fond of Excel Saga either and FLCL. I never could get into the humor of these shows.

Underrated anime I feel more comfortable talking about.

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (also THE most underrated manga)
My thoughts: I heard the game actually came to the U.S. (under a different title) to the arcades, PlayStation, and Dreamcast (I own the Japanese DC version). But the game and the anime are both based off the 3rd story arc of the manga (out of 6 story arcs that range across 75 volumes).

There is a mid-1990s anime that consists of the last 1/3 of the 3rd story arc, and a 2001 anime that consists of of first parts. The anime was more intended for hardcore fans of the manga which is why newbies will probably won't be able to understand some of it. Like how the main bad guy Dio came about.

The action and story is very original and the fighting itself is very innovating and unpredictable. Dio is pretty much the ultimate villian. I heard it's licenced in the U.S. but I could never find it.

I'll warn you that Jojo is really ****** up but it's ****** up in a cool way.

2. Aura Battler Dunbine
My thoughts: This is also made by Tomino Yoshiyuki, the original creator of Gundam. It's too bad Tomino's name is way too attached to Gundam to have Dunbine recognized internationally. People who were involved with Macross and Escaflowne (I'm not sure if Kawamori Shoji was involved) also did this as well so it's like putting two great minds into one. I'm not sure how well this did in Japan, but 15 years after the end of it's broadcast, a sequel oav called Tales of Byston Well Wings of Lin was made.

This anime is about how people from earth are stranded to another world (ie, Fushigi Yuugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, Inuyashas) to help the revolution of Drake Luft who wants to use technology of mechs called Aura Battlers to take over the world of Byston Well. Humans of earth have certain Aura powers that help their piloting ability (kind of like the newtype concept in Gundam). But the main character, Shou Zama, has a special power and when he meets the crew of Nie Given, he realizes the wrong he is doing and fights to save Byston Well.

But I believe some ideas from Escaflowne were tooken from this one somewhat. Like mixing mech anime with midevil times and the whole flying fortresses thing. I personally liked this more than Gundam first.

And if you are used to seeing anime where Americans and other nationalities can speak fluent Japanese, Aura Battler Dunbine actually has a logical explanation for it

3. Popolo Crois
My thoughts: Try to think of RPGs as if they were anime (ok, that doesn't help). Like experience points are applied and all that stuff. I tried playing the original RPG years ago, but problem was, I didn't know Japanese at the time and have yet to play it again. I know Kenshin fansubs back in the 90s would always have commecials for this game.

The main character is Pietro, a prince who has to save his mother and fight evil dragons. I've only seen the first 4 episodes. But I have friends who have seen the whole series in the past and told me it's really good. I probably won't be able to get the series until I go to Japan next year or so.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well first, yes, I disagree with your take on Escaflowne. I don't think it's really that overrated, partially because it's not really that incredibly popular and is only as well known as it is due to the fact it was aired on television briefly, although it was also butchered in the process. It does have a lot of cliche elements, I will give you that, but that's hardly unusual for anime of that time period. Hitomi had a huge purpose though, it was really thanks to her that it ended the way it did and she played a pivotal role in how the events unfolded.

I take Escaflowne, look at it, then I take 12 kingdoms look at it, and then I throw Escaflowne in the trashcan. Escaflowne is so uninspired and downright inferior to the more original fantasy stories that I'm not able to take it very serious.

I rated it "Good" for its filler quality and put it on about the same height as I do Pokemon, which isn't all that bad.

Underated:

Blood: the last Vampire

Most people seem to think that this movie is the worst thing that has ever arrived for Anime. I beg the differ though, I liked it alot, ranging from the great atmosphere to the incredibly detailed character designs, this film isn't so bad at all. I can understand that people might feel frustrated that the movie leaves everyone so much in the dark with all that's happening, but I actually liked it myself, it gave everyone an edge, something mysterious, so you could rarely understand what anyone was really thinking. Added to the atmosphere.

Texhnolyze

Forget about Lain, this is a work of art. The atmosphere, interesting range of characters and beautifull designs are incredible. I have no idea why some people call this series slow or hard to understand, because every single scene is a sight to behold, coming from the very first silent episode to the dramatic realization of death in the last.

Perhaps this series just isn't for everyone, but I just can't stop loving it, and urge everyone with eyes to see, ears to hear and with at least 1 finger to click the play button, to get this series by any means necessairy. Texhnolyze is animation at its best.
beezis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
An anime that appears underated to me is Millennium Actress because it is hardly ever mentioned and is possibly one of the best movies ever (just try to follow the plot, it's almost as confusing as Evangelion).

An overrated anime would have to be Hellsing. Does her hair color keep changing or is it just me? Good in the Vampire genre but I don't get what all the fuss was about it's just average in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Over-rated Anime:

Dragonball Z- It's very slowly-paced, the characters, especially the villians, are way too two-dimensional, and the fight scenes are dull, but it continues to reign as one of the most popular anime series ever. For some people, Dragonball Z is the only anime they ever bother to watch. But there's so much better anime, even in the fighting genre, out there than Dragonball Z that to call this series the "greatest action show ever" as Cartoon Network makes it out to be is a tad ambiguous. I can understand that Dragonball Z is a "gateway" series, but even when I was a n00bie anime fan, I couldn't understand what was so great about this show. Even anime fans who happen to like Dragonball Z but aren't like those obessesive fans out there have to admit that there's better anime than Dragonball Z. I think this is probably the most over-rated anime ever.

Depends on who's doing the rating. DBZ isn't rated that high on this site.
Median rating: Decent
Arithmetic mean: 6.2202 (Decent+.22), std. dev.: 2.4924, rank: #1626
Weighted mean: 6.1128 (Decent+.11), rank: #1652
Bayesian estimate: 6.12411 (Decent+.12), rank: #1313
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Kouji wrote:
Over-rated Anime:

That's even over rating the show. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:

Quote:

That's even over rating the show. Laughing

Yes, but we can't really stop those hardcore DBZ fanboys from voting.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I don't know if Escaflowne is over-rated per se, but I certainly couldn't get into it. As for DBZ, well, on netflix it has among the worst ratings for any anime that I'm aware of.

Garzey's wing is rated lower than Dragonball Z on Netflix.
bahamut_mega_flare

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
DBZ is freakin awesome, i guess you just gotta get into it, or maybe it depends on different peoples' preferences; but i like it a lot anyways.

and a lot of people that i know dont like "one piece", yeah i know its because the dubbing kinda stinks, but they still dont believe me when i tell em it is good in japanese, so the dubbing prettymuch underattes it in a way.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
bahamut_mega_flare wrote:
DBZ is freakin awesome.

That seems to be many DBZ fan's arguement. I've yet to see how it's valid.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
bahamut_mega_flare wrote:
DBZ is freakin awesome.

That seems to be many DBZ fan's arguement. I've yet to see how it's valid.

While there were good shows in the 80's and early 90's (Gundam Zeta, studio Ghibli films), DBZ is probably the only 80's anime that is "most" appealling to a generation of new anime and non-anime fans of today. You have to remember that comparing DBZ to the latest crop of shows like Rahxephon or Ghost in the shell SAC is like comparing SNES 16bit games to Xbox 64MB Games. Technology has advance... storytelling, music, animation and everything else has advance, newer fans probably won't appreciate animation of the past. DBZ might not be the best anime now (and many people are trying to compare to today's standard), but some people still have fond memories of it back in the 80's and it's pretty much a simple gateway show for news fan.. If you want to compare DBZ, compare it to shows in the early late 80s or early 90s and see how it stack up.

So it's easy for newer generation of digital fansub anime fans to snuff off DBZ.

BTW, the the most overrated anime series ever is Azumanga and Excel Saga. Azumanga's humor idiotic humor and unrealistic characteristic makes for a boring story and unfunny situation. It tries too hard to play off the japanese cute and "quirkiness" that so many anime fans adore. Oh please. And Excel Saga's off the wall idiotic randomness gets annoying after 1 or 2 episode. If they're gonna make a comedy show, try to make it funny or interesting.

Last edited by darkhunter on Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to throw Steam Boy into the mix of over-rate anime. It looked incredible but by the end I felt like something important was missing; perhaps a proper ending? Porco Rosso is another that I thought was surprisingly lacking considering where it came from. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, but I don't think I'll be watching it again anytime soon.
beezis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, an anime I forgot that is overrated is Shaman King. I saw the Korean dub and the English dub and they are horrid. I can't speak for uneditted or subbed versions but it seems beyond salvation in my opinion. They all have the same stupid yugioh wannabe hair styles with a slightly different plot.
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While there were good shows in the 80's and early 90's (Gundam Zeta, studio Ghibli films), DBZ is probably the only 80's anime that is "most" appealling to a generation of new anime and non-anime fans of today. You have to remember that comparing DBZ to the latest crop of shows like Rahxephon or Ghost in the shell SAC is like comparing SNES 16bit games to Xbox 64MB Games. Technology has advance... storytelling, music, animation and everything else has advance, newer fans probably won't appreciate animation of the past. DBZ might not be the best anime now (and many people are trying to compare to today's standard), but some people still have fond memories of it back in the 80's and it's pretty much a simple gateway show for news fan.. If you want to compare DBZ, compare it to shows in the early late 80s or early 90s and see how it stack up.

I am comparing it earlier shows and newer shows and find it Overrated. Though I really hate DBZ. I used to like it but fell out of it when it got to freeza. I am not comparing it graphically at all. I'm comparing story-telling, how long and boring the show goes on. The only thing I can really like about it is the character development but if you have 25 episodes of just training to get ready for a single enemy it would be expected to have character development but this is all IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6