• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
why do people like one piece so much?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginnogosa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
i think one piece is the stupidest show ever seen. please tell me why you like that stupid show so much Evil or Very Mad Exclamation
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Because people have different tastes? That's usually a pretty good reason why people like things you don't. You may want to actually put some substance into your posts in the futures as this basically just comes across as an insult to anyone who disagrees with your opinion. More or less flamebait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you're just basing this on the English dub, which makes more changes than average to the original? Actually, I've seen a few episodes in Japanese, and I wasn't that impressed; at least, not impressed enough to watch 200+ episodes of it.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Don't want to sound like a fanboy here, but keep in mind that One Piece takes a while to really pick up some steam. Around the Arlong arc, probably, though the early episodes have their moments.

BTW, the last count for the number of episodes cut in the English version was 32. Yep, that's like so necessary *rolls eyes*
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Don't want to sound like a fanboy here, but keep in mind that One Piece takes a while to really pick up some steam. Around the Arlong arc, probably, though the early episodes have their moments.

BTW, the last count for the number of episodes cut in the English version was 32. Yep, that's like so necessary *rolls eyes*

That's cool, and I'm sure that OP isn't a *bad* show or anything, but I'd rather spend my time watching 10-15 12 to 26 episode series than 1 200+ series. More variety, more compact plots, and so forth.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ginnogosa wrote:
i think one piece is the stupidest show ever seen. please tell me why you like that stupid show so much Evil or Very Mad Exclamation

[sarcasm]Because 4Kids improved the series 10-fold by giving it a fantastic dub done by highly talented voice artists, as well as skipping episodes in order to make the show move faster, and digitally editing scenes to make them less violent so they don't get sued. What a great company. ADV could sure learn from them, what with their uncut series with all that nasty blood and gore and profanity that no one likes.[/sarcasm]

Or maybe because people have different tastes and you have no right coming on to a message board bashing something you don't like. Plus, it looks dumb, IMO.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:

That's cool, and I'm sure that OP isn't a *bad* show or anything, but I'd rather spend my time watching 10-15 12 to 26 episode series than 1 200+ series. More variety, more compact plots, and so forth.

No 1200+ episode series for you, eh Zalis? Then steer clear of Doremon.

Aside from that Yoshouzoid is right, until you get up into the Arlong Arc, OP is pretty slow. Even at the point I've seen the series to, whcih is episode 80, I still think that the Arlong Arc has been the best of the series
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
ginnogosa wrote:

I applaud you for being semi unique in your opinions. I like OP because of the feelings it gives me. fear, saddness, joy, hate. Oh, and the characters kick ass. but come on. Is it neccesarry to down a show that alot of poeple like, like THAT. you could have at least given a reason why you dislike the "stupid" show. and before you say anything else, please be respectful of others opinions about it.
milcor1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for the anime but One Piece is in my opinion, THE best shonen manga of all time. Naruto, bleach, FMA, etc. are good and all in their own little ways but there's a reason One Piece regularly outsells all titles in its market. Its got the most style, the most heart, and the most originality. It also teaches some great lessons about friendship. It's the perfect title for kids. And for its current length its also been remarkably consistent in terms of quality.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
ginnogosa wrote:

And why don't you take a couple seconds to bother explaining why you disliked One Piece? Next time you troll for other people to answer like this without properly stating your own opinion, I'll lock the thread without a second's hesitation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote
You're welcome to your opinion of the show, but you might want to state it in a slightly less inflammatory fashion next time, as well as providing some more specific reasons beyond "it's stupid" as to why you don't like it.

I like One Piece because of the character interactions and the epic scope of the world. Sadly, both of these elements have been muted in the 4Kids dub, but they are still present in the English translation of the manga.

Sure, the art style does take some getting used to, and the story takes a little while to really pick up steam. Some of the filler story arcs are kinda stupid (in my mind one good thing 4Kids did was pull the Warship Island/Apis arc), but the overall story really examines the bonds of friendship and the lengths to which we should work achieve our goals.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ginnogosa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
i dont like it because its like a kid show, theres no blood and gore at all
if they want to make it a better show then mke it more realistic
animonkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
ginnogosa wrote:
i don't like it because its like a kid show, theres no blood and gore at all
if they want to make it a better show then mke it more realistic
actually, even in the early episodes there is a pretty good amount of blood, no less than naruto, and even more so in the manga. again, 4kids has cut this all out.

[No flaming. Watch it. -Nagi]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
For one thing, as mentioned above, 4kids edited it to be the show it is on TV here. Aside from that there's more to a show than the blood and gore and that doesn't necessarily demonstrate realism either. Not to mention these shows aren't exactly made for the sake of realism, that much should be obvious with a rubber boy and devils fruit and a swordsman who fights with a sword in his mouth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ginnogosa wrote:
i don't like it because its like a kid show,

By this logic you shouldn't like anime period.

Because hey, guess what, the majority of the titles in Japan are deemed acceptable for children.

BTW, make a mature show blood and gore do not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2