• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Files 3rd-Party Claim in Funimation's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
About time someone knocked Funi down a peg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
Yeah, Funimation's a monopoly. Oh wait, Sentai has been snapping up licenses left and right. It might be moving towards a duopoly, but certainly not a monopoly.

Yeah I wonder if the reason why Sentai has been picking up all those licenses is so this lawsuit that a little more weight to it like, "Oh poor us! Look at how Funimation is trying to get rid of us (with their lawsuit) because we have all these titles and are becoming a major competitor for them." Really I wouldn't be suppressed if this was the case.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I support you ADV all the way, frivolous or ridiculous claims or not this will hurt Funimation, they have more to lose. Funimation needs to die in a big way.

To this day, I never understand why some anime fans despise Funi so much.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
@Purple: Well they have Inuyasha: Final Act coming out on DVD later this year and they are dubbing Tiger&Bunny, but yeah overall there main business is manga, anime is just kind of a side for VIZ it seems. Kind of Like NISA, only...different, lol. As for them having there shows distributed by Warner Bros, I see no problem with that, sure WB isn't the best company, but at least it allows VIZ to release what little anime they do to a wider array of stores and for a slightly better price then others. I mean i'm not gonna complain about being able to buy Bleach &/or Naruto sets for $29.99. VIZ may get a lot of flack, but they take things slow and play it safe & smart, I don't blame em for that. Given one could also go on for hours about their flaws, but meh.

Back on topic. I can understand why ADV thinks Funimation wants to monopolize the U.S. anime market, since well...it does kind of feel like that sometimes. But overall both Funimation & Sentai seem to be slowly attaining equal footing in the industry, especially since Sentai has been on a Acquisitions benge this year, lol.

But yeah, heres hoping both companies can eventaully get past all this nonsense.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Past wrote:
I support you ADV all the way, frivolous or ridiculous claims or not this will hurt Funimation, they have more to lose. Funimation needs to die in a big way.

Everybody has their own reasons why they dislike one publisher over the other. They've all messed up in one way or another over the years, and some customers have gotten screwed. I can understand why some people dislike Funimation, Sentai, or even Media Blasters, but I can never understand why people want them to go out of business.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Past wrote:

I don't really despise them, i get anime box-sets for a reasonable price from. Now if you are talking about some localization issues on changing names or making more fitting for american audience that's up to certain fans. Such as in index offical subs touma calling misaka "bugzapper" big flipping deal Rolling Eyes I only recently had a problem with cat planet cuties dub slip in epiosde one. Looking back It's funny now but still kinda urks me that they referred to normal cat-girls at "furries" but eh.. whatever.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote

...God help us all.
Chagen46

I question why ONE bad thing happening is enough to swear off a company forever. I mean, if you've been shafted again and again, then maybe I can see why you'd be bitter, but if it's just a few things, lighten up, man.

Quote:
I don't really despise them, i get anime box-sets for a reasonable price from. Now if you are talking about some localization issues on changing names or making more fitting for american audience.. eh whatever I even let that go expect for the cat planet cuties dub slip in epiosde one. Looking back It's funny now but still kinda urks me that they referred to normal cat-girls at "furries" but eh.. whatever.

I just watched that episode today dubbed, and I'm wondering what you're talking about. About the only annoying thing about the dub is the "meow" puns and the fact that Aoi's name is being pronounced as if it's spelled "Aui".

Last edited by Chagen46 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

Chagen46 wrote:
Past wrote:

Anime fan: "I love Funimation."
Me: "You're a sheep"
Anime fan: "But they have Vic."
Me: "Meh." (and no they don't btw)
Anime fan: "They release the best titles."
Me: "Fail."
Anime fan: "Their dubs are great."
Me: "I watch subs."
Anime fan: "They don't price gouge their customers."
Me: "Neither does Walmart, but all you get is cheap crap."
(and who is the most monopolistic retailer in the world?)

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is like Coca-Cola sueing Pepsi for trying to monoplolize the soft drink industry, it makes no sense. Sentai probably has more new stuff on the market than FUNimation!

And people, quit wishing companies to go under. These companies employ people who need money just like the rest of us. If you wish for a company's death simply because you find its business practices inconvenient to you, YOU ARE BEING A JERK, no way around it.
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Well ultimately I hope all of this is resolved in a way so that both companies can move on from it and continue to license and release anime since as a fan and a consumer that is my main concern in all this.
bradc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

It hurts ADV even more. Assuming they still have any money left from this?

ADV counter-suing from the grave. I thought the company was dead since 2009 when it filed for bankruptcy.... Anymore reason why anime is dead in N. America.

Last edited by bradc on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

Anime fan: "I love Funimation."
Me: "You're a sheep"

Gee, that's a good way to talk to someone based solely on their own personal likes.

Quote:
Anime fan: "But they have Vic."
Me: "Meh."

Fine, I can see not really feeling the hype for an actor.

Quote:
Anime fan: "They release the best titles."
Me: "Fail."

Subjective opinion. They have such good titles as Summer Wars, Baka and Test, Soul Eater, and rescue-licensed many others such as Pani Poni Dash, Excel Saga, and Nerima Daikon Brothers...but that's merely my own subjective opinion.

I can see where you're coming from, at least a tiny bit. Most of Media Blaster's portfolio isn't really that impressive to me, for instance.

Quote:
Anime fan: "Their dubs are great."
Me: "I watch subs."

...You do realize that they do very professional and well-translated subs, right?

Quote:
Anime fan: "They don't price gouge their customers."
Me: "Neither does Walmart, but all you get is cheap crap."
(and who is the most monopolistic retailer in the world?)

More subjective opinion.

Also, Walmart only sucks because of the people who shop there, but I use Target anyway -shrugs-

Last edited by Chagen46 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
This is like Coca-Cola sueing Pepsi for trying to monoplolize the soft drink industry, it makes no sense. Sentai probably has more new stuff on the market than FUNimation!

And people, quit wishing companies to go under. These companies employ people who need money just like the rest of us. If you wish for a company's death simply because you find its business practices inconvenient to you, YOU ARE BEING A JERK, no way around it.

Actually, it was Pepsi that sued Coke for having a monopoly. It's not the market share that really matters, but how you obtain it and how you try to maintain it.

It appears that ADV claims that Funimation attempted to take over their company, via debt acquisition, prior to it's deal with Sojitz in 2006. They are also claiming that Funimation offered to forgive the debt if ADV would turn ownership of the company over to them, including it's subsidiaries and licenses. If they can prove that, it does seem to support their claims.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/06/11/funimation-vs-adv-a-brief-analysis-of-the-history-of-advs-breakup
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I question why ONE bad thing happening is enough to swear off a company forever. I mean, if you've been shafted again and again, then maybe I can see why you'd be bitter, but if it's just a few things, lighten up, man.

Quote:
I don't really despise them, i get anime box-sets for a reasonable price from. Now if you are talking about some localization issues on changing names or making more fitting for american audience.. eh whatever I even let that go expect for the cat planet cuties dub slip in epiosde one. Looking back It's funny now but still kinda urks me that they referred to normal cat-girls at "furries" but eh.. whatever.

I just watched that episode today dubbed, and I'm wondering what you're talking about. About the only annoying thing about the dub is the "meow" puns and the fact that Aoi's name is being pronounced as if it's spelled "Aui".

it was in epiosde one when Eris was walking around half nude and of the other girls said she could put up with alot of things but not furry cat girl fetish. Again meh it was quick but being ocd i pick up unnecessary b.s. fast.

To the ranting for those that want a company to go under..Stop being a damn internet tough guy/gal already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12