• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Batman Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackCassidy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the Batman manga Child of Dreams by Kia Asamiya is worth reading?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Read the review on amazon.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
BlackCassidy wrote:
Does anyone know if the Batman manga Child of Dreams by Kia Asamiya is worth reading?

It is if you don't mind that it was flipped.
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I liked it.

Child of Dreams assumes you have at least a rudimentary knowledge of the Batman mythos. Many members of the Rogues Gallery are introduced without much explanation, although they do have an abridged version of the night Bruce's parents were killed (with a a gorgeous full-page panel of Bruce looming over his dead parents).

It is manga, but it also tries very hard to preserve the uber-realistic style that most American comics have. As a result, there are almost no manga-isms, like sweatdrops, pratfalls, what have you. The artwork is very gritty, but it does have that intrinsic manga quality.

It's quite long. You have to invest quite a bit of time to finish it, but it does have a very satisfying ending. Overall, if you like manga and you like Batman, I'd advise you to buy it. If you like one but not the other, I'd suggest you read it first.
BlackCassidy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Thank you.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
BlackCassidy wrote:

I like manga, I enjoyed Nadesico, and Batman is my favorite American super hero. That said, I thought that Child of Dreams just didn't capture the spirit of Batman. There's some great artwork, but the plot is thin and the ending to what should be a great murder mystery is weak. Finally, by making all the villains one-shot Batman otaku, it removes some of what could have been great moments for traditional Batman fans.

That said, if you don't like Batman but do like manga, you'll probably have a good experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1