• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Telepathic Wanderers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
The first time around I ignored this title simply for its appearance: stupid name, even stupider looking logo and fanservice on the cover seemed to indicate this manga was in a similar vein to most of Tokyopop's other seinen titles, which are pretty mediocre. After reading a positive review and discovering the writer is often called the "Japanese Isaac Asimov", I decided to give it another shot, and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Like the title suggests, the story is about a telepathic named Nanase, who pretty much wanderes through life with no real purpose until encountering a young boy with similar powers. With no real conflict outside some episodic encounters, TW relies on the characters to drive the plot. Instead of having "I'm gonna blow up you brain" powers like in Akira, Nanase and Norio (the boy she encounters) are able to read people's minds. Being able to know people's inner thoughts has made Nanase distant from others and purposely isolates herself because of the malicious thoughts she is aware of. Despite this, she's a genuinely good person who simply wants to find a peaceful existance. Norio lacks the knowlege of his powers that Nanase has, and he's believably terrified of people. Meeting someone with powers just like his own, he immediatally latches onto Nanase as a sister, just as she finds a companion to ease her loneliness.

Even with the ho-hum art, Telepathic Wanderers is an intriguing sci-fi tale filled with tension and drama. There are no massive conspiracies or heroes trying to save the world, just two people on a quest to find inner peace. It's a very smart and well told story, and is probobly going to be the second best Scifi manga released this year (after Eden). Pick it up if you want something a bit diffrent from the norm.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing many review for this title too and was on the top of my "need to get" list.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:41 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Instead of having "I'm gonna blow up you brain" powers like in Akira, Nanase and Norio (the boy she encounters) are able to read people's minds.

Theoretically, a powerful enough telepath would be able to both read peeples minds AND overload them, so that they drop dead.

anyway, this series sounds quite interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1