• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AMVs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering are anime music videos concider illegal? I mean I do them and having on someones website not going to give you the url so it doesn't look like im advertising or just incase it is illegal I don't want to get in trouble. But is it concider illegal because technically we are using someone else work and though there not be sold there not being used for personal use either. Do you think makers of an anime care or the companys who license anime care? Personally, if it were me it is kind free advertisement. Because some anime I did bought because of amvs. Was hoping if people could answer this question and give there opinions on the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
I was wondering are anime music videos concider illegal? I mean I do them and having on someones website not going to give you the url so it doesn't look like im advertising or just incase it is illegal I don't want to get in trouble. But is it concider illegal because technically we are using someone else work and though there not be sold there not being used for personal use either. Do you think makers of an anime care or the companys who license anime care? Personally, if it were me it is kind free advertisement. Because some anime I did bought because of amvs. Was hoping if people could answer this question and give there opinions on the matter.

They're illegal, as they are unauthorised edits/distributions/whatever of both licensed Animation and Music, usually if not always from two different copyright holders.

Immoral though? Nah. I think they're a good thing, so long as you're not profiting from them.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
I think amv's are looked at in the same light as jay walking. It's illegal but no one really cares to bother reporting it. Wasn't there something about someone using amv's as an example of different people's work being used to create a different artistic piece and that these sort of things shouldn't be stifled by copyright laws and such? I think there was an article on this site but I can't remember any names so searching would be pretty hard.
Shin Starwin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
Gotta love the Trigun, Excel Saga, Cowboy Bebop MAMBO Video. I honestly think it isnt illegal, its just a fun way to put your favorite animes with your favorite music. BUT WAIT. You are also using someone elses music is that ILLEGAL. Just kidding.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
The anime companies don't really care about AMVs. Thats always been one of my favourite parts about going to a convention (at which are anime companies). you aren't going to make any money off of an AMV, and they can't really tell the series story in 3 minutes or anything, so they are pretty harmless. The background music on the other hand....
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
The anime companies don't really care about AMVs. Thats always been one of my favourite parts about going to a convention (at which are anime companies). you aren't going to make any money off of an AMV, and they can't really tell the series story in 3 minutes or anything, so they are pretty harmless. The background music on the other hand....

Depends on the song not all amvs are 3 mins...one of my amvs goes up 6 mins long, but I dont have it telling any of the story jsut mindless fighting except for it does show the ending. But I did a cowboy bebop one about 4:30 mins that pretty much explained the entire storyline for Spike in a nutshell.

And as far as making money on AMVs I'm sure there's an angle to it. If I were to make maybe DVD copeis of my AMVs and sold the discs as a commercial item possibly could get sold through ebays to people who think its legit. Of course I would never do such a thing...just saying there's probably ways of getting away with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the companies really care about them since AMVs have been circulating forever with no complaints, so you're probabally safe. I personally like them they're just plain fun, and whether they are the humorous kind or the serious kind they don't really hurt anyone's bussiness. I've discovered several great musical artists and anime titles from watching them so they're getting bussiness they wouldn't normally get from me.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I don't think the companies really care about them since AMVs have be circulating forever with no complaints, so you're probabally safe. I personally like them they're just plain fun, and whether they are the humorous kind or the serious kind they don't really hurt anyone's bussiness. I've discovered several great musical artists and anime titles from watching them so they're getting bussiness they wouldn't normally get.

Like I said free advertisement. That's how I became a big fan of the band VAST.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't think its that bad. I think anime companies let it slide as its a nice way to advertise the anime that they sell without having to make the amvs themselves. So to them its free advertisement.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1