• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
1980s and 90s:The Golden Age of Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
Were the 1980s and 1990s, the Golden Age of Anime where it began to flourish and prospered and become what it is today?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm, didn't quite understand what you were trying to ask. In terms of when it started getting big over here in the states I would say the late 90's. In my personal opinion I would say anime's "Golden Age" was from the mid 80's to early 90's. I personally enjoyed more of the titles. Animation wasn't what I call 'photoshop pretty' so it seemed to keep a level of grit. Also there weren't harem titles from left to right and all of the shows (at least what I have watched from that time) didn't rely on the stereotypes of anime to sell itself. In some cases the animation was more fluid. In terms of action shows at least it seems to me that most of them from that time actually animated the motions of the battle instead of maybe throwing a few punches and stopping or using a bunch of stills to portray the action. Plus pretty much all of the mecha anime was better back then than what's out in the same genre now.
Bosque

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:57 am Reply with quote
I always say "80's and 90's were golden years for anime" just like the topic title.
I think it should be "in the 80's anime prospered and became what it was in the 90's" cause from 2000 to now i think there appeared just a few quantity of quality anime.

I'm not sure if i can tell why that was the best epoch anime had, there were so many great anime titles. I think that now the anime have became more commercial, it's more far than before of the artistic concepts. For example, a title like Honneamise no Tsubasa is just a masterpiece but i can't imagine a title like that being produced now-days.
Today it's easy to see the same scene in 89 animes (just try to count how many times you have seen a good-looking girl falling down "accidentally" over a good-looking guy), most of the time we see how animators use the same formula one time and other just to satisfy the mainstream and sell merchandise without spending money and effort.
In the past, anime were made with more love, it was not made only for selling more than the other companies. Also, the anime public is no more a specific public, now you can talk about the mainstream watching anime, that didn't happen in the past years so, being anime a product for an specific audience, animators knew that and assumed that their public was not easy to satisfy, so they put all their effort into their product.
Think about a fantastic title from 1992, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki. It coul look now (13 years of anime copying the Tenchi formula after) like one more commercial anime with a bit of everything to satisfy everyone but you can see just after watching the first episode the differences between anime produced these days and now. Just look at the animation quality, the designs. Maybe the series could had the same succes with a no so good animation but it was done well and with love.

Bye, i hope you forgive for my english but it's not my native language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I've been interested in getting into more retro anime from the 80's and early to mid 90's. Do you guys have any recommendations for some great OAVs/series/movies from those time periods?

Have any good recommendations for:

-Comedies

-Action

-Romantic Comedies

-Sci-fi

-OAVs

-Feature Films

-Any other good recommendations

Also, would some of you recommend any of the following: Iria, Fuushgi Yuugi, Battle Athletes, Dirty Pair, All Purpose catgirl Nuku Nuku, and Dominion Tank Police.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:
Were the 1980s and 1990s, the Golden Age of Anime where it began to flourish and prospered and become what it is today?

Well, according to this article that I found from my local library's website, the Golden Age of anime has been mostly credited to range between 1977 and 1989. The "Golden Age" basically started with the growing popularity of the classic mecha title Mazinger-Z and the space opera series Space Battleship Yamato (domestically called Starblazers). It was during this period that the "space opera" craze began, mainly due to the immense popularity and success of Star Wars in Japan. It was also during this period that mini-trends such as fan magazines (or "fanzines") and the early stages of cosplay were prominent. The Golden Age also gave birth to the concept of original video animation (OVA, or as ANN calls it "original animation video" - OAV), which of course is direct-to-home releases. The "Golden Age" unoffically came to an end with the death of Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy and considered to be the "god of manga", on February 9, 1989.

I won't reiterare the rest of the article; I'll let you read it in your spare time. However, it is accurate to say that the late 1970's and the entire decade of the 1980s was indeed anime's Golden Age.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
I have to say that i dont like this kind of 'Goldenageism' it just seems to be a way for longet time fans to say 'oh, things were better in my day...'

does it really matter if there were more decent titles? What makes you saying that titles back then were better true?

I am a new fan of anime and as such I am poorly informed but I am currently pretty impressed with what I have seen so far in the anime department, namely Elfen Lied, early FMA, and the first few eps of GunGrave
SirWence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I have to say that i don't like this kind of 'Goldenageism' it just seems to be a way for longet time fans to say 'oh, things were better in my day...'

does it really matter if there were more decent titles? What makes you saying that titles back then were better true?

I am a new fan of anime and as such I am poorly informed but I am currently pretty impressed with what I have seen so far in the anime department, namely Elfen Lied, early FMA, and the first few eps of GunGrave

Well I have been an anime fan since I was 11ish and i'm 20 now so I got a taste of the 90's And I do have to admit I was far more impressed with things in the 90's then I am today. (I am also an 80's anime fan but I dident watch it in that time period ) I'm not a fan of CG Anime (appleseed comes to mind) so some of the new stuff I outright refuse to watch. You listed some good animes but I enjoyed the 90's much more. (Of course I have animes I enjoy from the current time period FMP / Elfen Lied and DNAngel namely)

Well Peace-
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
TV anime has never really had a golden age. There has always been 1 or 2 mega-hits on at any time and the rest of the anime around was either way niche and under the radar or trying to copy the hits (and failing most of the time). So nothing has ever really been outstanding, although Japan has been in a bit of a dry period since the end of Fullmetal Alchemist, the previous mega-hit, although Blood+ and/or Black Cat look to fill in the gap that FMA left.

In terms of movies, however, it can be said that the '80s were the golden age. Early Miyazaki, Akira, Urusei Yatsura, Patlabor, Lupin III, Char's Counterattack, Grave of the Fireflies. Pretty good stuff. (I think another golden age is starting up with stuff like Statoshi Kon, Shinkai, Steamboy, Howl, and GitS2 happening)
Number Six

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Jack wrote:
I've been interested in getting into more retro anime from the 80's and early to mid 90's. Do you guys have any recommendations for some great OAVs/series/movies from those time periods?

Have any good recommendations for:

-Action

Gunsmith Cats - About two girls who run a gun shop in Chicago and help out a federal agent. One drives around a classic Shelby Mustang. Lots of Girls with Guns type action. Quite good, but unfortunately only three episodes. I think this would make a great live action movie.

Quote:

-Sci-fi

Dirty Pair - About two girls who are agents for an interstellar troubleshooting agency. They leave chaos and destruction in their wake, hence the title of the series. Probably the first of the Girls with Guns shows to become very popular (and with good reason).

Robotech - Fusion of three unrelated animes (Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada - you can watch these as well). Maybe because this is the first anime that I ever saw, but I think they did a great job and the show is very enjoyable. Many purists don't like it, but it certainly was a big factor in starting anime's road to popularity here in the US.

Quote:

Also, would some of you recommend any of the following: Fuushgi Yuugi

Depends. Frankly, after a few episodes of FY, I ran away screaming. Basically, its a shoujo anime with some fighting. But every episode is the same: spoiler[The good guys bunch gets into a fight with the bad guys bunch. Interspersed throughout is the Whats-Her-Name heroine pining about her love, Whats-His-Name hero. ] Thats pretty much it. Its not even that I don't like shoujo. For example, I thought Card Captor Sakura was a great show. A pretty repetive plot, but done with enough creativity and intelligence to make it enjoyable over two seasons worth of shows. Now, it could be that I don't like FY because I'm a guy. My wife and most other women I know like it. YMMV.

Quote:

Dominion Tank Police.

A harmless and entertaining enough show. I 'd call it a Police/Mecha/Girls with Guns type show. (Gee, I wonder if I am revealing something about my anime viewing preferences? Very Happy ). Certainly not bad, but not something I'd go out of my way to see.

I wouldn't consider the titles back then any better (or worse) that whats available today. There were some good ones, some bad, just like today. I have never really believed in "good old days" type of thinking, so I pretty much ignore this Golden Age stuff and view what I like, from whatever era it comes from.
KyoKun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:
I always say "80's and 90's were golden years for anime" just like the topic title.
I think it should be "in the 80's anime prospered and became what it was in the 90's" cause from 2000 to now i think there appeared just a few quantity of quality anime.

I'm not sure if i can tell why that was the best epoch anime had, there were so many great anime titles. I think that now the anime have became more commercial, it's more far than before of the artistic concepts. For example, a title like Honneamise no Tsubasa is just a masterpiece but i can't imagine a title like that being produced now-days.
Today it's easy to see the same scene in 89 animes (just try to count how many times you have seen a good-looking girl falling down "accidentally" over a good-looking guy), most of the time we see how animators use the same formula one time and other just to satisfy the mainstream and sell merchandise without spending money and effort.
In the past, anime were made with more love, it was not made only for selling more than the other companies. Also, the anime public is no more a specific public, now you can talk about the mainstream watching anime, that didn't happen in the past years so, being anime a product for an specific audience, animators knew that and assumed that their public was not easy to satisfy, so they put all their effort into their product.
Think about a fantastic title from 1992, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki. It coul look now (13 years of anime copying the Tenchi formula after) like one more commercial anime with a bit of everything to satisfy everyone but you can see just after watching the first episode the differences between anime produced these days and now. Just look at the animation quality, the designs. Maybe the series could had the same succes with a no so good animation but it was done well and with love.

Excuse me, but what gives you the right to say they were not made with your so called "love" The creators most of had soem kind of "love" to continue a drawing their character that are from that individuals heart, just because things may look a little differnt and the stories dont really meet your liking does not mean that it is not made with "love", have you ever considered your just getting old, and Nostalgic? if u dont like the way anime looks/is written now a days, move on, stick with you tenchi and robotech or what ever it is you called made with love. and start to like things that are more to your liking, your wining is annoying and a disgrace to us fans who love anime all together no matter what time period we live in, i mean it just like an old person who misses playing checkers in their back yard with the neighboor hood kids running around, who hates PS2 or anything electronic. so stop, its never gonna look the same, its a new age,get with the program you old fart!
SirWence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
KyoKun wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Excuse me, but what gives you the right to say they were not made with your so called "love" The creators most of had soem kind of "love" to continue a drawing their character that are from that individuals heart, just because things may look a little differnt and the stories don't really meet your liking does not mean that it is not made with "love", have you ever considered your just getting old, and Nostalgic? if u don't like the way anime looks/is written now a days, move on, stick with you tenchi and robotech or what ever it is you called made with love. and start to like things that are more to your liking, your wining is annoying and a disgrace to us fans who love anime all together no matter what time period we live in, i mean it just like an old person who misses playing checkers in their back yard with the neighboor hood kids running around, who hates PS2 or anything electronic. so stop, its never gonna look the same, its a new age,get with the program you old fart!

calm down Razz , I figured I would comment on this even though its not directed at me.

But let me be blunt the hits of the 80's and 90's Surpass most anything made very recently. And I do not have to "get with the program" I will enjoy which ever anime I choose to. (100% CG anime I will never get with or enjoy) But like I said I like some recent stuff to, so lets just calm down and enjoy the anime Smile
Bosque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Smile ¿what is the point in transforming doscussions into personal-oriented comments? it's just my opinion, i'm not telling i'm right or that my opinion is obove other's.
What i meant about "old anime's charm" was that animators, in the past, made anime with different artistic concepts than now animators have, and those old things fit better in my tastes. hahahah, i can't understand the problem in that.
And about recommendations, for comedy, definitely Project A-ko, it's very funny (old fasioned anyway) and has some of the top action scenes ever. It's a very simple story to enjoy and relax, you dont' have to think, re-think or analyze anything, just sit and enjoy.
Action, the same.
Romantic comedies: Kimagure Orange Road is a fantastic serie of that kind, nice characters and enough originality to no consider this "one more of that kind".
Science Fiction: strictly SF could be the old Appleseed movie, which also has a bit of not-so good action. A good film in the SF aspect.
OVAs: of course, the classic Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki OVAs, those OVAs are really really good, superb characters and story (it's very complex but you'll have fun trying to understand it completely), nice designs and animation (mechas are just splendid, you'll never see something like that in other series).
El Hazard is another adventure anime of very high quality. Again, good characters and story, superb character designs (my favourites ever) from Nakazawa's hand and animation in the same level.

About Iria Zeiram the animation, it's a great show in the visuals side, good action scenes and good designs, it's very good. I think it's one of the best series on the visual aspects ever (without counting super-productions anyway).

Well, as always, sorry for my English or if i repeated something (i don't remember things very well) or if i offended someone (anyway, if i did, the problem could not be mine Confused )

Bye.

2: another thing, i don't see anything bad in studying the thing we love so much, it's normal for otakus to compare different titles, study them and that, analyze different epochs, influences, author's characteristis, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
perro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
I myself love the early 90's and 80s anime it just is so much less about the polish of the animation (I can't stand when the characters are blindingly colorful) back then everything had a certain grit making it more well less bright everything had a certain realness in the style today it's just to surrealy colooful for the most part I mean I get headaches watching certain anime.
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
perro wrote:
I myself love the early 90's and 80s anime it just is so much less about the polish of the animation (I can't stand when the characters are blindingly colorful) back then everything had a certain grit making it more well less bright everything had a certain realness in the style today it's just to surrealy colooful for the most part I mean I get headaches watching certain anime.

While, I dont get headaches from the new anime which I do like there graphics I more the old fashion myself. And the word grit is a good word for it. Reminds me of John Wayne where in some cases I find to be better then alot of films out today but that's off topic. The old anime for example twilight of the dark master or vampire hunter D or Demon city shinjuku always looks better to me for the reason that perro just stated...It had a realness to it that I find to be more artistic then the newer cost effective anime created today. The colors of the new anime are well blended into gether that it feels almost too perfectly accurate....not say that there bad or anything because I like them and there jsut things I have to deal with. But older anime during the 80s in my eyes are always the best to me. But that's my opinion anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
madlib

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I have to say that i don't like this kind of 'Goldenageism' it just seems to be a way for longet time fans to say 'oh, things were better in my day...'

i agree, because i used to be the same way. art forms evolve and hopefully the quality evolves with them. the only thing you can do is hope that the present learns from and appreciates the value of the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2