• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strongest/most interesting shounen lead.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myouou

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The obvious contenders in the top 4(I don't wanna say 5) but I will anyways. There's Goku from DBZ obviously. Naruto, Ichigo, Inuyasha and there's that guy from One Piece.

I haven't seen enough of One Piece to determine much of anything about it. It's just a little too cartoony for me. I'm sorry, but I can't take an anime character seriously with stretchy arms! (Maybe it's just me. But I appreciate the realism of anime characters. So if it's too cartoony it's hard for me to watch).

I like Naruto best because he started off as an underdog. I feel like he's had the most character development. Goku was always pure and heroic. And Ichigo's character was introduced while he was in highschool and he wasn't especially popular. He was teased a little for his hair, but he's basically a hotheaded guy thrown into the world of the Shinigami. I don't know how much character development there is for him.

I guess I could include Lelouch and Light. But I feel that their intellectual nature puts them in a different less-shounenesque category. Of course I need to expand my anime horizons. Other characters I wanna include are Rin from Blue Excorcist, there's Al+Ed from FMA, Yusuke from YuYu Hakusho, Spike from Cowboy Bebop andMugen from Samurai Champloo.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
So is this a "Top 5" wishlist or a "who's your favorite" thread? 'Cause if it's a contest, then I'm going to lock it. That's what the Tournament stickies are for. Of course, by giving you this warning upfront, I'm sure you'll now say this is a "who's your favorite 5" thread.

That being said, I think you do need to expand your horizons a bit. I see no mention of Himura Kenshin, Makunouchi Ippo, Gon Freaks, Azuma Kazuma, or Shindou Hikaru on there.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
And besides, Spike is by no means a "shounen lead."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slugbait

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Goku is the strongest warrior in the universe and he is an alien which is interesting.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
slugbait--
  1. Just wanted to welcome you to the fora.
  2. May I trouble you to elaborate on your opinion?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Most interesting is Takamine Kiyomaro. A relatively normal and laid back guy in a sea of insanity and craziness. I prefer him to other shounen leads since he's actually smart and uses tons of strategy in his fights, as well as he's not one of those 'loud idiot' archetypes. He starts off like a loner to be honest, who doesn't really like people (he views a lot of people as dumber than him... for good reason if you actually watch the show) and prefers the company of books to people, but gradually becomes more friendly and opens up as the show goes on, but is still the pretty much one of the only normal guys in the series when you have goofballs like Folgore, Professor Riddle, and tons others.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I like Negi from Negima! as he's one of the few Shonen leads who isn't incredibly stupid. And he gets so incredibly badass over the course of the story as well.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
@TitanXL I'm really glad you brought Kiyo up! He is one of the better shonen leads I've seen. I also appreciated his planning and strategy for the fights. Finally we have a lead who doesn't throw caution to the wind or relies on lady luck! Half way through the series he lost quite a bit of his charm and uniqueness, but I still consider him one of the better shonen leads out there.
Myouou

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
@Tony K.
Don't I have to be a board moderator or administrator to post stickies?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Yes. In some cases, if a user has a good enough idea for a sticky then we can do it for you. I was simply trying to clarify what kind of thread you were creating, but it seems to have gradually turned into a thread about "who's your favorite shounen lead," which is fine.

It's just that on normal basis we get a lot of cosmopolitan threads asking "what/who is your favorite anime/character," and the concept seems to get recycled every week or so in the form of the same question but with a slightly different subject.

As long as people abide by the rules and at least put a reason for their choice(s), there's nothing wrong with this thread. For now, let's just continue this topic for what it is and discuss lead characters, their likeable attributes, flaws, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1