• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Familiar of Zero F Episodes 7-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
drale wrote:
Great review, Carl, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Side note: spoiler[Am I the only one that kind of thought that Louise and Saito were actually already married as of the last episode of the second season? (which was probably the second best episode of the series after this most recent ending, in my opinion)]

spoiler[It was neither legal nor official, even if they considered themselves married.] And it's obvious from later actions that they didn't really believe it themselves.

I had always considered them to be, which is why part of this season was jarring for me
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
tcdelaney wrote:
drale wrote:
Great review, Carl, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Side note: spoiler[Am I the only one that kind of thought that Louise and Saito were actually already married as of the last episode of the second season? (which was probably the second best episode of the series after this most recent ending, in my opinion)]

spoiler[It was neither legal nor official, even if they considered themselves married.] And it's obvious from later actions that they didn't really believe it themselves.

I had always considered them to be, which is why part of this season was jarring for me

It wasn't for me, since I felt that part of Princess no Rondo fell into a similar category as spoiler["marrying" a terminally ill kid] - both sides knew it wasn't real, but it was important nonetheless.

Parts of Final were jarring for me, but as noted by other people it was mainly the rushed pace of the arcs. I would have much preferred 26 episodes to get through this material. I wish the harem aspects weren't quite so prevalent during this season, and I just have to put Saito's behaviour down to "he's a teenage boy, and as such he's often an idiot"*.

*Being an idiot not restricted in any way to teenage boys.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Partly to avoid posting only about reviews I don't agree with, I have to chime in and say this is pretty good. I didn't read the prior review, but I think the remarks are basically all correct. I agree with the rating generally, but in no way do I intend that to mean personally I didn't enjoy it quite a bit as despite the rushed arcs it still managed to be entertaining the entire time for me and I don't think the ending could have been done better. I could wish for more time though like many have, but unfortunately they seemed committed to keeping this at 13 episodes regardless of the content.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Louise is sexy in that picture..... Just sayin.

I'd say Louise is one of the sexiest less-developed (physically, but not loli) characters in Anime, precisely because she's so genuine about her feelings (even if she's fairly Tsun much of the time).

As said in the review - it's the combination of real teenage (maturing to adult) love, lust, anxiety and embarrassment on the part of both Saito and Louise that makes it all work.

what the hell are you talking about, she is the stereotypical midget tsundere, hell shakugan no shana, torodora etc. She does nothing to distinguish herself other than probably being the most brutal tsundere in history, not even naru of love hina was that bad.
kh_gal

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
tcdelaney wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Louise is sexy in that picture..... Just sayin.

I'd say Louise is one of the sexiest less-developed (physically, but not loli) characters in Anime, precisely because she's so genuine about her feelings (even if she's fairly Tsun much of the time).

As said in the review - it's the combination of real teenage (maturing to adult) love, lust, anxiety and embarrassment on the part of both Saito and Louise that makes it all work.

what the hell are you talking about, she is the stereotypical midget tsundere, hell shakugan no shana, torodora etc. She does nothing to distinguish herself other than probably being the most brutal tsundere in history, not even naru of love hina was that bad.

I would disagree. Louise, while very similar to Shana and Taiga, goes just above the norm. Like the above person said, her maturation over the seasons is what really sets her apart from other characters in the genre. Most tsunderes are very stoic characters with little development, but that's not the case here. I also think Louise is often compared to Shana and Taiga because Shakugan no Shana and Toradora are more popular franchises.

Ironically, Toradora came after Familiar of Zero did. So whose to say that Taiga's character isn't a rip-off of Louise or Shana.

And on that note...while extremely rushed, this was a satisfying close to Familiar of Zero F. After the train-wreck that was season 2 and 3 I think the writers did the best they could with what they had to work with. If they had given it three 24 episode seasons from the beginning and stuck closer to the LN, however, it would have been so much better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2