• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
yamata no orochi wrote:
As tempting as it is to go on for another ten pages or so on Mysterious Girlfriend X...

Key, was Mawaru Penguindrum really made by SILVER LINK? Because I'm pretty sure it was a Brains Base production. I looked on Wikipedia but couldn't find a mention of SILVER LINK anywhere.

If someone already corrected you earlier, I guess that's fine. Or if SILVER LINK really was involved, or people from SILVER LINK, that's fine too. But not a single article or blog or anything that I read on Mawaru Penguindrum last year (and believe me, I read a lot of stuff about the show) mentioned anything about SILVER LINK being behind the show.

I did my own double-checking, and apparently Silver Link was a co-producer one one episode of MP rather than the entire series. Thus my claim was partly inaccurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
I would think moe can be seen as a genre, if not a sub-genre at least.

Just as shows that revolve around action, comedy or drama are classified as such, I don't think it's too far a stretch to say a show that revolves around eliciting a moe reaction from its viewer is a moe show.

Then you have to set up some arbitrary standard. Puella Magi Madoka Magica has a group of moe characters. It revolves around eliciting a moe reaction from its viewers. Is it therefore a moe show by your arbitrary standards?

Bakemonogatari has a group of moe characters. It revolves around eliciting a moe reaction from its viewers. Is it therefore a moe show by your arbitrary standards?

That's why it's so much easier to simply not refer to shows as moe. But only to refer to characters as moe. There's no arbitrary standard needed.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
kakitamike wrote:

Just as shows that revolve around action, comedy or drama are classified as such, I don't think it's too far a stretch to say a show that revolves around eliciting a moe reaction from its viewer is a moe show.

Then you have to set up some arbitrary standard. Puella Magi Madoka Magica has a group of moe characters. It revolves around eliciting a moe reaction from its viewers. Is it therefore a moe show by your arbitrary standards?

That's why it's so much easier to simply not refer to shows as moe. But only to refer to characters as moe. There's no arbitrary standard needed.

Inception is science fiction, heist,noir and action film so why cant Puella Magi Madoka Magica be magical girl ,horror, tragedy and moe and I really did not get any moe reaction from the show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
kakitamike wrote:

Bakemonogatari has a group of moe characters. It revolves around eliciting a moe reaction from its viewers. Is it therefore a moe show by your arbitrary standards?

If moe girls are the focus of the show, like K-On, it's helpful to people if you mention that and also the show's actual genre.

So K-On is moe comedy. Soranowoto is moe drama, I'd say.

I think people love to argue about semantics even more than they love moe and everyone wants to be the one guy who has the most right definition and use of the term. Which gets super old!
kakitamike

Megiddo wrote:

What arbitrary standard? I said the entire show revolves around that. That's about as arbitrary as saying the main female cast of madoka is moe.

I just think it would make more sense to describe a show as a moe drama or moe slice of life then, a drama and every main female character is a moe character.

This does feel like mincing semantics. Megiddo, do you think a show can have a moe theme, if not a genre?

Last edited by kakitamike on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Megiddo

danilo07 wrote:
Inception is science fiction, heist,noir and action film so why can't Puella Magi Madoka Magica be magical girl ,horror, tragedy and moe

Why not have a genre for glasses characters then? Or tsunderes? Or childhood friends? It makes no sense to describe a series by something pertaining only to characters.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And to address another totally unrelated issue brought up by other posters: moe may not be a genre, but it is most definitely a theme. If you're not willing to even accept that as a classification, then how else do you accurately describe series like K-ON! or Sound of the Sky or Kanon which focus as much more on trying to generate moe reactions than anything else?

You know, I can accept "fan service" as a theme as panty shots and nudity just are what they are but not so much moe. It's strange; I know something like A Channel or Hidemari Sketch is going for the Moe audience but I personally just find the faces and body designs to be off putting. As for Kanon and other Key works, I find it's more about the drama than the big eye character designs that generate moe reactions in me. "With me" or is "for me"?

What is a moe reaction anyway? "Big brother" protection instinct, a "I'm taking her home with me" feel or is it a "I'd really want to BLEEP that" sort of thing? Granted, in some shows, it's all the same thing but usually it's not as easy as that.

Moe. I can't say for certain what it is but I know it when I see it? Sound familar? Anyone?

So in short, moe is too subjective for either genre or theme. But for trying to do this sort of shoeboxing over and over {"accurately describe" is the way to classify a personal reaction to a show?} really shows why you deserve to be called a critic.

Honestly, your argument would be easier to accept if this subjective trait wasn't handled as a detriment. It's not as if these characters were created, designed and used in such a way to personally offend you. Or to pander to its audience to get them to watch the show.

It's to sell merchandise.

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Inception is science fiction, heist,noir and action film so why can't Puella Magi Madoka Magica be magical girl ,horror, tragedy and moe

Why not have a genre for glasses characters then? Or tsunderes? Or childhood friends? It makes no sense to describe a series by something pertaining only to characters.

It is not about characters it is about emotions that those characters invoke tsundere and glasses characters are used to invoke comedy thus they fall in as one the characteristics of comedy genre.Tragic characters invoke sadness in us thus they fall in as one the characteristics of tragedy genre.
Also the reason why I brought Inception up is because critics think that one of its genres is noir because there is one femme fatale character in it.
Konopan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Ho boy, I can't wait for bundles of people who've never read a Lovecraft piece constantly referring to Nyarlathothep as a "Cthulhu".
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
This is mostly posted in observational and nonjudgmental good humor- so yeah, I'm not insulting you.

So we have our trends.

A bit of necrophilia:
-A zombie boy in the middle of a harem with a necromancer, a magical girl and at least a couple vampires (more of the undead).
-A zombie girl (whose state may be figurative) as object of desire for a boy who got a bit confused somewhere in his George Romero fixation.
-And a ghost girl whose body is under the floor and seems to have a habit of arousing the boy who can see and touch her.

Moefication of people and things that normally have no business being anywhere in the vacinity of the word:.
-That the most normal of these is the cutesying up of Oda Nobunaga and other Japanese warlords of the Sengku Warring States era is really telling as to how far the season is going
-Assault rifles... oh how cute- she can blow your head off- apparently by shooting her own head off. But don’t worry about anything- these school-yard shootings are happy fun... Haha, she shot the teacher! If anyone is dashing under a cafeteria table to escape from gunfire it’ll probably because a girl was masturbating! Haha!
-Creatures of the Cthulhu mythos. Formless creatures of pure madness and horror- to experience one is to experience insanity, psychic distress and if you’re lucky- death. They’re cute now, wouldn’t you like one of them to call you onii-chan?

But that one about the guy who licks a girl’s drool. Now that one is disgusting! Why can’t he just settle on sharing a juice can for an indirect kiss? Sicko! He should participate in more socially acceptable activities for otaku... like sniffing panties!

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
This is mostly posted in observational and nonjudgmental good humor- so yeah, I'm not insulting you.

So we have our trends.

A bit of necrophilia:
-A zombie boy in the middle of a harem with a necromancer, a magical girl and at least a couple vampires (more of the undead).
-A zombie girl (whose state may be figurative) as object of desire for who got a bit confused somewhere in his George Romero fixation.
-And a ghost girl whose body is under the floor and seems to have a habit of arousing the boy who can see and touch her.

Well some people have a hard time letting loved ones go "oh boy here we go again".. then again I wonder what rukia would fall under from bleach since she is already dead.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Some more new anime. Let's get right to it:

1."Mysterious Girlfriend X:"Let me get this straight. A boy is interested in the new girl in school so he drinks her drool. Then he get sick,then both the boy and girl drink each other's drool. Who thought this show up? A mental patient? PLEASE don't let this show come here. I feel sick just writing about it.

2."Upotte!!:"Another strange creation from the world of anime. Antropomorphized guns in the shape of little girls blast everything in sight including their new teacher. I highly doubt that the NRA is going to be promoting this show. Another show I hope doesn't make it here.

3."Kuroko's Basketball:"This is interesting. "The Prince of Tennis" but set in the world of basketball. This seems to be the first show I hope does come here.

4."Nyarko-san:Another Creeping Chaos:"Although this show takes it's inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft's horror stories,like some of the other reviewers who saw this show,I doubt that it's what he had in mind. One of the Ctuthlu come to this world and actually defend a human being. All we need now is the ghost of the aforementioned Lovecraft to show up and the weirdness factor of this show will be raised considerably. Another show that deserves to come here.

Well,that's it for now. See you guys later.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Final thing I'll say on this topic... You wouldn't see any major websites for other industries insulting people who like stuff in their reviews... because its not professional. Like for Gamespot reviews, they'll just say stuff like "I'm not in the target demographic" or "This will appeal to a niche audience", instead of outright insulting their readers.

There should be a certain level of professionalism handled with reviews, and for certain reviewers here, they do not feel the need to be at this level. Until they take reviewing stuff more seriously, its tough to take what ANN says with more than a grain of salt.

Its a great place for actual news, but for reviews there are other places more suited for it and professional.

What exactly did I say in my reviews that you feel personally insulted you?

I understand that even saying who the target market for some of these fetish shows is is seen as horribly insulting and demeaning to some people, which I already addressed in another post. But seriously - show me where I said "EVERYONE WHO LIKES THIS IS A SICK FREAK". And I don't mean "show me where you read that in to what I was saying" or "show me where I used words that triggered your insecurity about this stuff". I mean show me where it is I said that specifically.

Pointing out which kind of fetish the show is for upsets people. I get that. I likely will not do it again. But I never said you're a horrible person or even that people who were in to those things were horrible. The level of sensitivity some of you have about this stuff is ludicrous.

No, please don't change your style! Honestly, the best part of the new seasons is seeing what's on Zac's mind about what's coming out of Japan. You are the highlight and your willingness to engage in humor and a frank "call 'em like you see 'em" is one of the reasons I look forward to it. Please, keep on doing what you're doing!

Rensie wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Zac, some of us (me, included) find the fetish-identification useful information. I don't think that you should censor yourself just because a handful of people have persecution complexes....

You aren't the majority neither.

You can count me, too. And I'm sure there are plenty of others who enjoy Zac's reviews. Stop playing the victim, there are plenty of otaku walled-gardens and echo-chambers out there if you want to have yes-men.

Last edited by dragon695 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

...), when the heck is Eureka 7: Astral Ocean going to premiere? I can't help but feel doubtful it'll be streamed, but I at least want to know what the impression is for that show already.

In U.S. time, it premieres Thursday, April 12.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Who thought this show up? A mental patient? PLEASE don't let this show come here. I feel sick just writing about it.

Ah yes, "I don't like this, thus no one should be allowed to even watch it" logic.

This is why we can't have nice things.

See also: Kodomo no Jikan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 69