• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

Dude its a show about 13 girls being all cute and innocent of course it is moe show and if not please explain.

No, its a show about 13 girls, aged 14 to 21 rising in the Japanese idol industry. Along the way they are, in fact, cute because...well, thats part of the whole "idol" aspect. And as for "Innocent"...ahahahahahaha. Seriously. Did you watch the show?

And you still have no idea what moe means. Goddamn.

I agree some of the episodes had that struggling towards stardom tone but those moments were rare.It was just full of cliches that you can fund in moe genre(there were episodes which had no purpose but just to show their silly characteristics)and they really were not trying hardly to portray us idol subculture sure they put a lot of work hard and you will get it motives in it but is that all there is to idols of course not a show with premise like this could exploit much more but creators decided to focus mostly on moe aspects of the show so that they could please people like you.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

I agree some of the episodes had that struggling towards stardom tone but those moments were rare.It was just full of cliches that you can fund in moe genre(there were episodes which had no purpose but just to show their silly characteristics)and they really were not trying hardly to portray us idol subculture sure they put a lot of work hard and you will get it motives in it but is that all there is to idols of course not a show with premise like this could exploit much more but creators decided to focus mostly on moe aspects of the show so that they could please people like you.

A) Moe is not a genre

B) PUNCTUATION. Goddamn man, use some [expletive] periods!
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

A) Moe is not a genre

B) PUNCTUATION. Goddamn man, use some [expletive] periods!

HAHAHAH nice so do you always change subject when you lose??
Moe can be defined as genre because its purpose is to cause moe reaction, and has similar target audience.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I mean, it seemed like the show went out of its way to make it as repulsive as possible.

I'm quite certain it did.

And I can still think of dozens and dozens of more disgusting things that have been in mainstream entertainment.

It is entirely subjective. You can't really blame people for being grossed out by this, and therefore may not wish to continue watching due to their own, subjective reaction.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Moe can be defined as genre because its purpose is to cause moe reaction, and has similar target audience.

No, moe is not a genre. It would be so ludicrously wide to be utterly meaningless.

And I didn't change the subject, I'm actually attempting to educate you on the actual meaning of the term, and proper grammar.

Simultaneously!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

It is entirely subjective. You can't really blame people for being grossed out by this, and therefore may not wish to continue watching due to their own, subjective reaction.

Of course not.

But there is a big, BIG difference between "I found this icky so I'm not going to watch anymore" and "THIS WAS THE MOST DISGUSTING THING I'VE EVER SEEN AND ANYONE WHO LIKES IT IS A HORRIBLE PERSON"

I assume you can grasp why the first is not a problem, and the second most certainly is? And which description most accurately represents Zac's "review"?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote
So I watched the first episode of Mysterious Girlfriend X. I will admit that the romance aspect of the show is kind of interesting, and I like the strangeness of Urabe. However, for me, the drool thing is a bizarre attempt at prurience. Based on what I've seen spoiler[ (the focus on honey at the beginning of the episode, the repeated references to wet or dripping flowers, she vomits a huge amount of drool when he "makes her very happy") ], it seems to serve two purposes: (1) a gimmick to generate interest in the show and (2) some kind of stand in for oral sex. I don't mind that kind of symbolism and I'm no prude, but the drool just doesn't seem to work well for me. Maybe it's the spoiler["you'll become physically ill if you don't keep sucking it" thing. Also, how does she know about what her drool does if he's her first boyfriend?] It might be that the show is just creating too many unanswered questions with this gimmick and thereby distracting from the actual story. Sometimes a distracting gimmick can be fun but this one just feels strange and might be an example of authors who are just testing boundaries rather than creating a great story. That is the sense that I get, but perhaps I'll be proven wrong.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

No, moe is not a genre. It would be so ludicrously wide to be utterly meaningless.

And I didn't change the subject, I'm actually attempting to educate you on the actual meaning of the term, and proper grammar.

Simultaneously!

Tragedy-a genre which intents to invoke sad feelings in its audience
Comedy-a genre which intents to amuse by creating laughter.
Thus by looking at definitions of those two genres we can conclude that moe which has intentions of invoking a moe reaction is genre.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Maybe it's the spoiler["you'll become physically ill if you don't keep sucking it" thing. Also, how does she know about what her drool does if he's her first boyfriend?]

spoiler[Who ever said that Akira was her first boyfriend?]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Thus by looking at definitions of those two genres we can conclude that moe which has intentions of invoking a moe reaction is genre.

And by and large saying a work is a "tragedy" or a "comedy" tells you very little of use.

Both of those reactions are also far, far easier to define than the "moe" reaction.

By the way, what is the last character you felt moe for?
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

And by and large saying a work is a "tragedy" or a "comedy" tells you very little of use.

Both of those reactions are also far, far easier to define than the "moe" reaction.

By the way, what is the last character you felt moe for?

Mio Akiyama
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Maybe it's the spoiler["you'll become physically ill if you don't keep sucking it" thing. Also, how does she know about what her drool does if he's her first boyfriend?]

spoiler[Who ever said that Akira was her first boyfriend?]

I think it's implied at this point at least. spoiler[ She's young enough to not have a lot of experiences, her strangeness probably means she needs a certain type of guy, she says she is a virgin, and she gets unnaturally excited by him confessing his love to her, almost like it's her first time.]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I think it's implied at this point at least.

Perhaps, but even if it is (which is debatable, even putting aside what I know from the manga), a story does not have to reveal everything right upfront.

And of course, you are continuing to assume that Urabe does in fact know what she's talking about.

This is only episode 1, give the show a chance to explain things when it feels the time is right.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Of course not.

But there is a big, BIG difference between "I found this icky so I'm not going to watch anymore" and "THIS WAS THE MOST DISGUSTING THING I'VE EVER SEEN AND ANYONE WHO LIKES IT IS A HORRIBLE PERSON"

I assume you can grasp why the first is not a problem, and the second most certainly is? And which description most accurately represents Zac's "review"?

I think you might be reading something in to Zac's review that isn't there. I went and re-read it. Everything in it seems very subjective to his own personal reaction. I don't see where he singles out anyone in particular.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:
Wouldn't it be absolutely awesome if there was a fighting game where your character's health is represented by their clothes instead?! Remove the healthbar, you lose if your clothes is completely destroyed

Too late.

Yeah but in G&G you lose your clothes THEN die.

I'm talking about where your character loses the moment her clothes are blown off. Plus, it's not even a fighter.

You still have one item of clothing when near death. You lose the moment you take a hit at that point. I assume that in the original Japanese eroge, the boxers fly off as you lose, but it was censored for the Western release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 69