• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek to Release Love Com/Lovely Complex Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Been looking forward to this! LoveCom was a runaway hit with my anime club in 2008.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
It's about time somebody picked this series up. Again, it's infortunate that Discotek isn't dubbing the series but I'm still gonna buy this one!
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Who said the US Anime License buisness is in trouble. We have Sentai licensing pretty much all the new stuff along with Funi. And companies like NIS releasing Amazing Limited Editions and Discotek and S'More picking up some great Classic Shows as old as Lupin III and GE 999 and now Discotek even picks up Lovely Complex. HELL YES!!! Without everything being Dubbed its clear to me that this Buisness is seemingly quite sustainable. And i love it even more than before.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
Oh my sweet Jesus...

*stretches out supine on floor in worship position*

Discotek - we are not worthy, we are not worthy!!!

This is freaking HUGE!!!

Lovely Complex, Skip Beat! and Bakemonogatari have been my Big Three unlicensed Wants and I can't believe one of the trio is actually coming out. And all 24 episodes in a single boxset right off the bat? Unbelievable.

This really gives me hope that Discotek might snap up Skip Beat! at some point, too.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
Take my money! Here, take all of it!

//Never thought I'd see the day...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
Discotek, what is your address. I am going to be sending you a blank check just fill an amount.

I did not think this day would come at all. While I have only watched a little of the tv series I have read all of the manga and I enjoyed reading the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
I'm speechless! My number one most wanted anime and it's picked up....never thought I'd see the day. Someone get me the smelling salts Very Happy
Juhachi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, I thought the anime was licensed ages ago. I remember watching this back in 2007 and I loved it. Very nice to see it officially licensed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Before the inevitable bitching about dubbing, people should take note that a lot of the humor comes from the characters being Osakan and more or less an impromptu Manzai Act. You could try to dub that over, but the false equivalence of using southern accents just doesn't work, and not giving it some kind quirk would also not capture the vocal humor. So it's a catch 22 regardless of how you approach it.

*slaps the guy in the chest with a harisen* "What in the heck! They went the comedy act route because they're seen as a comedy duo. Kind of like Laurel and Hardy {crickets}. Ok, Mutt and Jeff {even the crickets shut up here}. Vaudeville? What in the heck..." If you have to dub it, the humor is already in the physicality and additudes. And comedy routines for the past 90 years.

As for the accent and comedy routine act, I do think it's strange when it's ignored in a dub, like Linebarrels of Iron, but I have seen it done before correctly and I have no problem understanding it, even without fansubs/subs explaining every little detail....

But I imagine I view southerners the same way those of the Tokyo region view the kansai speakers. "You may be Osakan if you think Octopus if the fifth food group." Not so much like foreigners but more like aliens who're trying to speak the same langauage but just can't do it....

Anyway, putting aside something that's been done for over twenty years and is still a challenge for some reason, it's interesting that they're releasing the entire set in one go. Even with the age of the show in consideration [that is, the Japanese masters don't mind it as to them, it's probably already nonexistant], it does put Discotek in bit of a corner if they want to do updated releases.

They're new to this, correct? It's refreshing, in a way.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
I remember trying to watch this when I first got into anime, but I dropped it before I finished the first episode since I thought it was too weird (the routine-thing they do threw me off). Now that I'm more "seasoned" and am used to Osakans and Manzai, I think I can give it another go. I know I originally dropped Nerima Daikon Brothers when I first got into anime for similar reasons, but I watched it years later and ended up really liking it.

Also, Blood- doesn't go a day without mentioning it, so I might as well give it another go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Laughing Liar! There was that day that I was in a coma and I'm pretty sure I didn't mention it then.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
This excites me beyond belief. I have been waiting patiently for this to be licensed and woohoo!. It makes me wonder if Viz had first cracks at it because they released the manga (seems they tend to release of lot of the series based on things they already publish), but finally passed it up some years later. Either way, I am dancing in my work chair! This will be a day one purchase for me. Now it can sit next to the live action movie that has been sad on my shelf for years, waiting for this day to come.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
Words fail me, so I'll just allude to the diner scene from When Harry Met Sally. . . -- SO HAPPY! Anime exclamation

(I just hope Discotek isn't forced to muck up the translation due to the Viz books -- "Kong" etc.)
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(I just hope Discotek isn't forced to muck up the translation due to the Viz books -- "Kong" etc.)

Normally Discotek is pretty good with their translations so I don't think it'll be a problem.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I've been wanting to watch this for a while and never got around to it. Maybe I'll pick it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3