• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
I actually really think that the new series is doing a fantastic job. It's an experience more akin to reading the manga. For instance, in this newest episode. Gotoh seems to be more of a threat than someone just acting for the sake of the test. I get the feeling that Gotoh and his butlers literally would have killed Gon and his friends had they lost.

The major difference between the versions is how the conversations flow. The 2011 series tries hard not to add superfluous dialogue, unlike the old version. Read chapters 43 and 44 in the manga, then watch episode 36 of the 1999 series/episode 25 of the 2011 series. Pay close attention to the dialogue. Write down the differences if you have the time. You'll be really surprised in how changed the 1999 series' version was.

The pacing is moving perfectly along. Madhouse is paying close attention to the manga. In a way that makes fan of the manga (like me) happy to see.
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. Toto: So to clarify, will I have different experience of the new Hunter x Hunter anime had I read the manga? I didn't, you see, so as a point of comparison I only have the original anime. But it seems like, from your posts, your point of comparison is the manga. And if the point of comparison is the manga, then the new anime is doing a fairly good job.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
The pacing is moving perfectly along.

Can't wait to read your Fun Happy Fun Thoughts about how awesome the next (recap) episode is!

4750G wrote:
And if the point of comparison is the manga, then the new anime is doing a fairly good job.

Yes and no. It's just that Toto never actually talks about things the new series does wrong. And it does a lot wrong. Like back with the Testing Gate. It makes no sense for Gon's character to accept the result of that test considering the whole point is to test individual strength. Absolutely none. There was no reason to change what Togashi had outlined as simply a short time for each character to build up physical strength. There were no stupid training montages either. But no, apparently it's only worth talking about if the 1999 version diverted just a tiny little bit instead of something pretty big like that. As a personal opinion, I think which one you prefer will come down to stylistic choices. The 1999 version uses a very dark and brooding color palette and director Furuhashi (think Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal) pretty mcuh wanted a more dark and sinister atmosphere to be prevalent. Meanwhile the 2011 series is all about brightness and adventure and good times. Though with the appearance of the Zoldyck family that has changed a bit.

Overall though, yes, the newer version has been closer to the manga. But it also has inferior BGM and (at times) artistry. And it also has really stupid recap episodes when I don't recall the original series having any (though I could be wrong).
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Ah crap, another recap. Why would a series with hundreds of chapters to work with need to add a recap. Sad

I thought the preview showing Mito was just previwing the episode spoiler[where Gon brings Killua over to his house.]

It's gonna be a while till they get to Yorkshin City. Confused

edit: Ah wait, that episodes happens AFTER they learn spoiler[Nen]. Razz

PS - does shin even mean "new" in japanese? I'm highly skeptical at the translation...the change sounds so random.
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
PS - does shin even mean "new" in japanese? I'm highly skeptical at the translation...the change sounds so random.

Yep, shin can mean new. Of course, it might have other meanings as well. I'm basing this solely on similar use in different anime. For example, in Kyou Kara Maou, Shin Makkoku is subtitled New Makkoku, which means that shin in that context means new. The people who made the subtitles probably wanted to fully translate every word they find translatable.

Last edited by 4750G on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Do you think so? The hunter exam flew by. I'm expecting the same here.

The arc I really look forward to is the game one.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Well before they get to Yorkshin City, there are still....

spoiler[-The entire tournament arc in Celestial Tower
-Gon and Killua learning Nen
-Gon briefly screwing around with Killua afterwards
-Kurapika learning Nen
-Kurapika getting a job
-Gon and Killua getting ready for the auction
]

Also, I completely forgot something else I look forward to, Neon Nostrad!

There's something I find inherently lovvable about that girl. She's so innocent and endearing, yet her hobby is spoiler[collecting dismembered body parts]. Embarassed

I'm kinda disappointed that she has yet to make a reappearance in the manga.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Yes, shin (新) means "new". (And as pointed out by another, it also has many homonyms represented by different kanji.)

Additionally, Yorknew/Yorkshin is directly based on New York, hence the name. (To go further, the entire HxH world is directly based on ours, but with the map skewed.) So, Yorknew is correct in both translation and intent. Should it have been left as Yorkshin even in English since the original Japanese uses Yorkshin (ヨークシン) instead of Yorknew (ヨークニュウ)? That's just a judgment call. Since Viz officially went with Yorknew, they may have even checked with the Japanese publishers/Togashi first. Either way, it's the translation I probably would have used due to the name's intention.

As an aside, I'm really enjoying this anime. Never saw the first show, but I really liked the manga. (Though the last I read of it was about two years ago, mid-Chimera Ant arc.) I couldn't say if the other anime was better or not, but I do feel this anime has matched the tone and pace of the manga rather well. The manga, too, started off very bright, cheerful, and adventurous. It only slowly darkened as it progressed. Honestly, it wasn't until the Yorknew (Wink) arc that it really hooked me.

Totally disappointed about the upcoming recap though.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Can't wait to read your Fun Happy Fun Thoughts about how awesome the next (recap) episode is!

My recaps were intended for people who've never seen the series before, not you. So many fans of the old series come in with this chip on their shoulder and feel the need to say that Madhouse is making a bad show. As someone who has no allegiance to the old series whatsoever and was introduced to HxH by reading the manga as it was published in the US, I've found this adaptation to be an extremely accurate experience.

Megiddo wrote:
Yes and no. It's just that Toto never actually talks about things the new series does wrong.

I didn't realize that was a requirement here.

Megiddo wrote:
And it does a lot wrong. Like back with the Testing Gate. It makes no sense for Gon's character to accept the result of that test considering the whole point is to test individual strength. Absolutely none. There was no reason to change what Togashi had outlined as simply a short time for each character to build up physical strength. There were no stupid training montages either. But no, apparently it's only worth talking about if the 1999 version diverted just a tiny little bit instead of something pretty big like that.

This isn't something I ever considered. Thanks for bringing this point to my attention. But it also seems like you're assuming that I've perceived the same things about the series as you have. On the contrary. I love hearing opposition, especially one that makes me reconsider my original position.

Megiddo wrote:
As a personal opinion, I think which one you prefer will come down to stylistic choices. The 1999 version uses a very dark and brooding color palette and director Furuhashi (think Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal) pretty mcuh wanted a more dark and sinister atmosphere to be prevalent.

The color palette was actually unintentional; a result from technological limitations. If you take a look at the original cels for the series, they were colored in a way that makes them more reminiscent of the Greed Island OVAs.

But as far as "tone" is concerned, the 1999 series' tone is actually lighter than you might remember. The corresponding episode to this one especially. The differences in dialogue create a different flow. Leorio is sort of treated as a buffoon and Gotoh doesn't make good on his threats.

Megiddo wrote:
Meanwhile the 2011 series is all about brightness and adventure and good times. Though with the appearance of the Zoldyck family that has changed a bit.

This is only in the beginning of the series. The tone of HxH eventually shifts. Considering how accurately the manga has been adapted thus far, I doubt that the new series will dumb the dialogue down.

Megiddo wrote:
Overall though, yes, the newer version has been closer to the manga. But it also has inferior BGM and (at times) artistry. And it also has really stupid recap episodes when I don't recall the original series having any (though I could be wrong).

It comes down to a matter of opinion. I actually think that the BGM is superior in this version. And in regard to Madhouse's artistry, try watching the episodes of both versions without subtitles. You'll be surprised. The recap episodes don't make the blu-rays or DVDs, so are they really that big a deal in context? They're more akin to TV specials than anything else.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
My only reference point to this is the original anime in 1999, never read the manga. I can definitely see myself liking this show a lot if I had never seen the first one. However, they make so many random minor changes in the new version that really make me angry.

Ex) Gittarackur (Had no idea that's how you spell his name) actually talks throughout the whole exam rather than just the creepy mouth chatter. They show you right off the bat that he is friends with spoiler[Hisoka]. I really liked how you didn't know that in the original series and you just got to see them start to hang out together and play cards. Made me think about how creepy people make friends. Also, when he spoiler[killed the sniper] he just threw a needle in the new version, whereas in the old one he did some crazy acrobatic jump from far away to get point blank in their face which was really scary. Not to mention the silly blue hair and green outfit really took away from his dark aura.

I mean, as you can tell, these are totally me nitpicking the crap out of the show, but at the same time... this is just one character with little screen time. There are just so many small changes everywhere that I just can't get over. Why did the big Hisoka plate steeling scene change to be during the daytime? To make it less scary? Why are Kurapica's swords not real in this one? I mean, the 1999 HxH is kind of one of my favorite shows ever (my avatar...) I can't help but hate on all these changes.
-End of righteously biased rant.

PS: Don't get me started on the changes to Hisoka...

PPS: Oh, and they took out all of the best jokes, especially the "paper test".
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone look better than the original the horrid designs and the newer designs I think I'll go with the new hunter x hunter.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
Huzzah! Episode 27 isn't a recap!

This arc is probably the closest this anime gets to a typical shonen series. And more importantly, where spoiler[Nen] finally comes into play.

Anyways there's one thing I don't get, Zushi's score was 1.508, while Killua's 2.075. Doesn't that mean more people favour Killua and not the other way around? Or am I totally getting their system wrong?

I kinda like the new ED too. It's much better than the previous, plus it puts emphasis on the story arc that really sucked me into this series.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
The numbers represent the pay-outs. They're gambling. Since more people bet on Zushi, the system is giving him higher odds and therefore a lower pay-out.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Yay, Chrollo. (And Melody!) It was nice seeing all the new characters added to the opening and ending animation. (Although the new opening is otherwise pretty meh.)

I rather enjoyed this episode, but I don't know if that's because of it itself or because I know where it's ultimately heading.
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
I rather enjoyed this episode, but I don't know if that's because of it itself or because I know where it's ultimately heading.

I get what you mean, I kinda had the same reaction as well. I think I liked the latest episode not because of the episode but because I've already watched it years ago and I'm feeling rather excited about the whole thing. I did enjoy this part back in the original anime. I'm kind of tempted to dig up my copy of the original anime and watch this part just for the heck of it.

Side note. Is it just me or did Chrollo's face looked kinda...weird? New EP is great btw, but something about how Chrollo's face was drawn just puts me off. Can't quite put my finger on it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 52