• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Familiar of Zero F (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:
I have some things I wonder about though. How does someone spoiler[steal a military jet and fly it like an expert without years of training? How does one sneak into an airbase and steal it to begin with?]

Saito can use any weapon as a master of it, it is the most basic reference to his gandalfr powers. I assumed that all he would need is any weapon that would require agility to give him a boost to get by, or all his training paid off.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:
How does someone spoiler[steal a military jet and fly it like an expert without years of training? How does one sneak into an airbase and steal it to begin with?]

For the first question, it was revealed in the first season that Saito's special ability as a familiar was to be able to wield any weapon without training. For the second question, anything is possible in an anime.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:

I have some things I wonder about though. How does someone spoiler[steal a military jet and fly it like an expert without years of training? How does one sneak into an airbase and steal it to begin with?]

I thought Japan had virtually no military after signing the accord that ended World War II anyways, so how did that jet come to exist in the first place? Razz

I fully enjoyed this series, though it definitely felt rushed towards the end. Perhaps that's because there's so much more material to cover in this one than in the previous three, and perhaps because they had to find a resolution after passing the point the light novels are currently at. I thought it could have done with an extra episode or two to help with the pacing at the end, but it was nonetheless an excellent watch. So glad my girlfriend got me onto the series!
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a fun series! I finally caught up. When I saw Derflinger shatter in ep 10 I was like 'Nooooooooooooo!'. Anime hyper So I'm really glad he was able to come back. The pope on the other hand.... I always thought he was gonna turn out to be a bad guy or something. I dunno, something about him just screamed behind-the-scenes puppet master to me. So I felt a little bad when he got eaten and wasn't actually scheming anything.... Anime hyper

HaruhiToy wrote:
So, all that epic fighting and winning battles in the world of Halkeginia and that's the best Saito can do in a Japanese alley with three punks? I am dissapoint.
I was thinking the same. That was a disappointing display.

I really liked those last couple episodes. I really wish they could've taken some time to tie up some of the loose ends they dropped from previous seasons, but this was satisfactory. Afterall, you can't get much better than ending with a wedding.

I wonder how much time has passed in Japan since Saito went to Tristain. Since he was summoned a couple months must have passed at least, so I wonder if the same amount of time has passed in Japan.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey look, that last few minutes of the final episode was exactly what I wanted to see more of in the anime. Whoopee. Confused

Think they'd make an OVA about their life in Saito's world? What language are they even speaking? What is the rest of Japan's reaction seeing some regular kid walking out of a magical portal carrying a pink haired french girl? What will Saito's parents think of their son marrying with a strange pink haired Explosion casting french girl without consulting them?

Not to mention, I coulda sworn most of Louise's family was very much against the idea of Saito and Louise being together. Wouldn't mind some time being focused on that too...

Also, Saito discovering the tail of a jet in Lukshana's lake, I thought that would have a purpose...

Also,spoiler[ I can't be the only one who thought the rest of Saito's harem would jump in wearing a wedding dress during the wedding scene. Cool]

Ah well, I'll be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it either way. Just wish it had more episodes to delve more into Saito's origin(our world) being with Louise.

PS - wow, only seen the lyrics of the first season's OP for the first time, it's almost like that song was made specifically for this show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

I thought Japan had virtually no military after signing the accord that ended World War II anyways, so how did that jet come to exist in the first place? Razz

They don't have a massive armed forces, but they do have a sizable Self Defense Force that includes land, sea, and air departments. This is directly due to the perceived national threat from North Korea, China, and previously Russia. There's quite a number of anime where the SDF is featured, like Zipang, Aozora Shoujotai, and several others.
Ferian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Melicans wrote:

They don't have a massive armed forces, but they do have a sizable Self Defense Force that includes land, sea, and air departments. This is directly due to the perceived national threat from North Korea, China, and previously Russia. There's quite a number of anime where the SDF is featured, like Zipang, Aozora Shoujotai, and several others.

Umm... Japan is the 6th biggest military spender in the world. They're allowed to allot only 1% of their GDP towards military but that is still more than most other countries can ever afford. Their self-defense force numbers at over 200,000. And yes, they have aircraft. Furthermore, there are American forces stationed in Japan as well, for various reasons. Anyway, this is a common misconception but yeah, it's not like finding a military base with stationed aircraft would have been that hard. How he had stolen it is the real question.
dan7el

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
You see, here's my problem with the last episode. I can believe that all four thousand harem girls were in love with him all at once. I can believe he had two separate familiar powers. I can believe he can use any weapon or fly a complicated jet aircraft with zero training. I believe he traveled though a dimensional portal. I believe in the elves and the dragon that turns into the girl with the snaggle tooth.

I dig it all.

What I can't believe is that he somehow got said aircraft just by waltzing up to a military base and taking it -- fullly armed no less and likely chock full of fuel.

My suspension of believe ends there.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:
What I can't believe is that he somehow got said aircraft just by waltzing up to a military base and taking it -- fullly armed no less and likely chock full of fuel.

My suspension of believe ends there.

Oh really? Assuming it was an American military base in Japan he raided you are talking about a military organization that could, in the early days of invading Iraq, do the following:

1. Invade and capture the Al Qa Qaa weapons arsenal with more than 300 tones of high explosive weapons in it, then leave the area securing it with little more than a padlock. Within no time, all the weapons were gone presumably in the hands of extremists that would use them to attack the same military with them over the next several years.

2. Ship over $9B of cash into that same war zone in pallets on C5 aircraft. No nation, kingdom, or warlord in all history has ever done anything like that. It is gone of course, and nobody has ever has been able to account for it.

I could go on, but you get the idea. If it was a JSDF base that he raided, they probably wouldn't be that much better. Assuming you had a pilot that could fly it, I am pretty sure you could pull of such a heist.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
1. Invade and capture the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Qa'qaa_high_explosives_controversy]Al Qa Qaa weapon[/url]s arsenal with more than 300 tones of high explosive weapons in it, then leave the area securing it with little more than a padlock. Within no time, all the weapons were gone presumably in the hands of extremists that would use them to attack the same military with them over the next several years.

2. Ship over $9B of cash into that same war zone in pallets on C5 aircraft. No nation, kingdom, or warlord in all history has ever done anything like that. It is gone of course, and nobody has ever has been able to account for it.

I could go on, but you get the idea. If it was a JSDF base that he raided, they probably wouldn't be that much better. Assuming you had a pilot that could fly it, I am pretty sure you could pull of such a heist.
WOW. That's absolutely pathetic.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget, Saito still had Gandlf's power, he could just pick a weapon up and use his uber abilities to break in and run off with a the Jet.

I'm far more bugged by the whole language barrier thing. I can't be the only one who remembers that Saito isn't actually speaking japanese. Louise blew him up in the first episode with a fibbed Silence spell, and that somehow allowed Saito to understand and learn whatever language they spoke.

I want to see his parents reaction, seeing him coming back all this long time unable to speak japanese, branded for life by strange markings, and married to a pink haired french girl who beats up their son on a regular basis with whips and magic.

There's also the fact that they entered Japan in a magical portal in broad daylight.
Ferian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Don't forget, Saito still had Gandlf's power, he could just pick a weapon up and use his uber abilities to break in and run off with a the Jet.

Actually, no, he couldn't. He'd be a criminal if he did that. No signs of him being wanted in the finale so he had to steal the plane unnoticed or at least remaining unidentified.

Gon*Gon wrote:
spoiler[I'm far more bugged by the whole language barrier thing. I can't be the only one who remembers that Saito isn't actually speaking japanese. Louise blew him up in the first episode with a fibbed Silence spell, and that somehow allowed Saito to understand and learn whatever language they spoke.]

Actually, no. That is something the anime came up for no good reason. The familiar contract itself provided the ability in the novels. Louise couldn't use ANY magic, willingly or accidentally, before knowing her element. The explosions were simply magic matter being unproperly handled by her power. spoiler[Imagine the four elements as dealing with magic "molecules". Then Void deals with magic "atoms". When trying to move "molecules", she instead moved "atoms", causing the links between them in the "molecules" to be separated, thus releasing energy.]
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
I'm far more bugged by the whole language barrier thing. I can't be the only one who remembers that Saito isn't actually speaking japanese. Louise blew him up in the first episode with a fibbed Silence spell, and that somehow allowed Saito to understand and learn whatever language they spoke.

I want to see his parents reaction, seeing him coming back all this long time unable to speak japanese, branded for life by strange markings, and married to a pink haired french girl who beats up their son on a regular basis with whips and magic.
Lol, that would be pretty funny Anime hyper.
I haven't read the novels, but I actually really liked how they acknowledged that the two separate worlds would have different languages, and then came up with what seemed to me a funny and believable way to fix the communication problem. And I never thought of the spell as actually changing the language Saito spoke. I always thought he still spoke Japanese, the spell just made it understandable for the people who speak the Tristain language, as the Tristain language became understandable to Saito.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
In that case, would be weird for the japanese populace to watch Saito communicate with Louise in japanese while Louise speaks in a totally ALIEN language...which would further reinforce the fact that she's an alien, not to mention walking in from a magical portal like they did in front of so many people.

Show me one french girl with naturally pink hair. Laughing

Man this series seriously needs an OVA just to see his parent's reactions. And do they ever return to Louise's world? I mean, modern appliances and food is nice and all, but Saito is a Lord of his own plot of land complete with his own giant mansion with a maid now! Plus, that's where his harem is at. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Plus, that's where his harem is at. Wink

Why not expand between worlds. "I am totally maried to a french girl with a bad temper, and own land with a maid who tries to get into my pants, with the occasional house gues of a big breasted elf who also wants me. Oh and the queens of two seperate countries want me."

Other things to bring up is that he has been wearing the same clothes (underwear included as no evidence points otherwise) for four seasons, at least Ash has worn different clothes occasionally with the recognition of the need to change underwear. It is not like underwear has not come up, it was pretty much a large part of first season, it still came up in mid points of episodes.

Just wondering, what is Saito's age? How much time has passed since the begining of the series?

Anyway I am all up for OVA, I want to see people freak out over her useing magic and what not, most shows with magic make it taboo to reveal things, but they are under no such rule. Wait if Saito understood Louise from the contract, why could they still understand each other when the contract broke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4