• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I want to see Fantasy - Animes!(Help me with recommendatios)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parantes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
I want good Anime - fantasys.
With dragons, sword, castles, epic - music and great storys. Or just everything that you can say is taking place in a fantasyworld. If its anything like the Zelda or Final Fantasy - games thats just great! But as long as it just in the genre of Fantasy - write it here.

So come on people - help me find the best fantasy - experience out there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Well from what you want I would highly recommend Vision Of Escaflowne and It's movie counterpart Vision Of Escaflowne: A Girl In Gaea. Both have what you want. Plenty of dragons (well sorta), swords, castles with a great story and amazing music by Kanno Yoko. You can also check out Slayers and all of it's incarnations.

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
parantes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Well from what you want I would highly recommend Vision Of Escaflowne and It's movie counterpart Vision Of Escaflowne: A Girl In Gaea. Both have what you want. Plenty of dragons (well sorta), swords, castles with a great story and amazing music by Kanno Yoko. You can also check out Slayers and all of it's incarnations.

- IchigoK90

Thanks IchigoK90. Vision Of Escaflowne is under viewing. Looks interesting. I will take a closer look on Slayer! Thanks once again. Give me some more =)!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Record of Lodoss War has always been the standard bearer of fantasy anime. Notably, it has a Lord of the Ring-styled Elf as one of two main characters (quote: Saki Kasukabe from Genshiken). Its animation is a bit dated, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
For fantasy anime, you can never go wrong with Berserk.

It's a very dark and mature series that drives heavily on the characters and plotwists. It is also very violent and has a little more "adult" material towards the end, though all for the sake of story.

I mean, look at those ratings. Over 80% of the people that have seen the series give it a Very Good or higher. Can't go wrong with that, neh? Wink
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Well the only other ones I can think of now are : MAR TV, Beet The Vandel Buster (or is it Adventure King Beet?), and Tsubasa Chronicle. These three are close to filling in the requirements you stated. Give them a try. I am certainly enjoying them.

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
parantes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
OH! Thanks you!! New at this forum and already loving it =). I will certainly look up all of thoose. If theres anymore - just let me know =)! Thanks once again!
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I second Lodoss, Twelve Kingdoms, and Rayearth, three excellent series.

As far as other fantasy goes, there's another oldie along the lines of Lodoss caled The Heroic Legend of Arslan. I've never seen it, and a fan of fantasy anime myself, have been trying to get my hands on it for a deccent price. I can't tell you if it's good or not yet, but just letting you know that it's out there.

Twelve Kingdoms, as mentioned before, is an exellent series, but it's more orient that the fantasy that you have in mind. For good fantasy with that focuses more on Asian mythology than English folklore, go for Fushigi Yuugi. There's also the RG Veda OVA...which was good, but it was never completed. But if you should watch it and find that you like it, the manga is now being released by Tokyopop. :3

If you've played Tales of Phantasia, there's a pretty deccent OVA for that out. Not liscenced in America though.

And....there's probably something else I'm forgetting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been a member here long, but this is about the third time a post of mine has vanished without explanation, and it's getting old.

Someone (I assume it's a moderator) care to tell me what's going on??

All I did was provide some titles that fit the request.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
DVDaholic wrote:
I haven't been a member here long, but this is about the third time a post of mine has vanished without explanation, and it's getting old.

Someone (I assume it's a moderator) care to tell me what's going on??

All I did was provide some titles that fit the request.

I believe you put them in a list if i'm not mistaken. Listing anime without reason is against "teh rules". It doesn't matter if it is just a suggestion you still need to give a reason as to why you suggest or recommend it.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Would Air be considered a fantasy?... that's a great anime right there.
Verdoozle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I always thought that Twelve Kingdoms was a really good fantasy anime. If you are looking for fantasy I recommend this one.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nirvana wrote:

Heck, pretty much everything anime is fantasy. For the rare cases that there's no fantasy elements, it shouldn't be Animated either.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
Nirvana wrote:

Heck, pretty much everything anime is fantasy. For the rare cases that there's no fantasy elements, it shouldn't be Animated either.

So you're saying that anime shouldn't be realistic and that it should all be fantasy? Its people like that that keep the stereotypes like "anime are just cartoons meant for children" alive. Its like you're saying if its realistic it shouldn't be animated and if its fantasy or fictional it should be animated. If that happened we wouldn't have anime titles like Maison Ikokou and Monster.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Iemander wrote:
Nirvana wrote:

So you're saying that anime shouldn't be realistic and that it should all be fantasy? Its people like that that keep the stereotypes like "anime are just cartoons meant for children" alive. Its like you're saying if its realistic it shouldn't be animated and if its fantasy or fictional it should be animated. If that happened we wouldn't have anime titles like Maison Ikokou and Monster.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

So you're saying that Monster (I have never seen Maison Ikokou) would be worse off Live action than Animated? No, the medium is far better suited for Monster to be rolled in Live Action that I cannot comprehend why it was shot animated if not for financial purposes. Give the manga author a director's seat, years of training and I'm sure he would've loved it to be Live Action. There's no doubt in my mind, there's nothing in the Monster animation that could've been done Live action FAR far better.

The deal about animation is that it's much better at portaying the impossible than Live action can, hence it's only natural that fantasy is where animation essentially belongs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3