• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just finished Gunslinger Girl

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fosterjd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I just finished up the 3rd disc of Gunslinger Girl and I must say it is an amazing show. The music provides excellent mood and involvment with the scenes and the animation is absolutley fantastic. The dialogue is nice and loose and not tied to just trying to give you the answers, it lets you "explore" the characters. The direction is top notch and the ending was gratifying, leaving room for lots of thought provoking.

Overall I highly recomend this show. It is fairly short for an anime, 13 episodes, but it is a very focused show and each epsidoe is glorious! Very Happy Very Happy Very re-watchable

What was everyone elses thoughts on this show?
ChurchofVirus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series very much.. but I cannot help but feel there was little progression and it really didn't go anywhere with no real ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
totalgeek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
ChurchofVirus wrote:
I enjoyed the series very much.. but I cannot help but feel there was little progression and it really didn't go anywhere with no real ending.

Yeah, I would agree. It was a good series but the ending was a little too open-ended for my taste. Perhaps that was the point, though, since life tends to be open-ended with few clearcut resolutions and the series tried to apply a realistic characterization to the girls even though they were very unrealistic themselves (child-cyborgs trained to be assassins).
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
the manga's a lot better from what i've read so far. can't wait for the final volume.
kainzero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
ChurchofVirus wrote:

Yeah, I would agree. It was a good series but the ending was a little too open-ended for my taste. Perhaps that was the point, though, since life tends to be open-ended with few clearcut resolutions and the series tried to apply a realistic characterization to the girls even though they were very unrealistic themselves (child-cyborgs trained to be assassins).

actually, it had an open-ended ending because the manga was still going and they didn't want to have the manga and anime have different "endings" per se, like other anime do.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:29 am Reply with quote
kainzero wrote:
actually, it had an open-ended ending because the manga was still going and they didn't want to have the manga and anime have different "endings" per se, like other anime do.

Does that mean that there might be a second season of Gunslinger Girl in the future?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Does that mean that there might be a second season of Gunslinger Girl in the future?

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath, seems the majority of the time any anime I watch that feels like it could really use another season never gets it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I highly enjoyed Gunslinger Girl as well. Excellent characters and some good action. I agree it could use a second season though.
fosterjd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I think that the 13 episodes have a really good ending. The whole series is quite character driven and we see the characters (the handlers, the cyborgs, etc.) all grow in their ideas, the phiosphies, their treatment of the girls, the girls opinions on thnigs, etc. Basically, each epsidoe offers great insight into moral and other, questions as well as adding great action and intenisty to tie it all together in one brilliantly entertaining package. The ending is really gratifying in my opinion.
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't really much story to begin with, just some cyberized girls with their fake dads. Really powerfull series, I noticed I always held my breath when each episode ended, extremely tense atmosphere. In my top 5 for sure.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I loved the series. It is nice that Funimation packed the series into 3 DVDs, but I wish they would include those nice books like the ones found in Burst Angel and FMA. The last four episodes were my favorites since they felt as though they were past introductions and could further develope plot and character. The first two DVDs seem to get a little bogged down with character introductions since there are five pairs of characters. We really don't get to know the characters too well with the exception of Henrietta and Jose. This is a series which would really benefit from a second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1