• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any jaded, old japanese animation fans here (like myself)?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danth78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys. I'm an old dude (27! Yikes!) who started watching anime after I first saw Robotech back in the eighties. Then I started watching any japanese animation I could find. I enjoyed most of the stuff I watched, and I loved the beatiful animation and the more mature stories.

Throughout college, I was a very casual fan. I would buy an occasional Animerica magazine and watch some Macross or Robotech stuff, but not much else. I noticed myself liking less and less of the new stuff I watched. During my last year of college I watched a lot of Tenchi (which I love).

Last year, I was visiting my girlfriend at her college, and I "re-dorkulated" and rented a bunch of anime at the local rental places. I rented all kinds of anime and pretty much hated all of it.

After watching a bunch of new stuff and not liking any of it, I watched the old Venus Wars movie (that I wanted to see as a kid but never got to) and I loved it. Then it hit me -- I hate new anime. I love the old stuff though.

I'm not gonna say that new stuff sucks, but it definitely doesn't do anything for me. I didn't even like Cowboy Bebop. The most recent anime I really liked was El Hazard OAV.

Now that I know what I like I've been enjoying anime much more. Some examples of stuff I like: Tenchi Muyo, Mospeada, Bastard, Macross, El Hazard Wanderers, and Genesis Survivor Gaiarth.

Am I a typical jaded anime fan? Here are some things about me:

* I've never been much of an anime "nerd." I couldn't care less about the sub/dub debate, I don't go to conventions, and I don't really identify myself as an "otaku."

* Some anime fans really bug me. The guys who wear anime shirts but don't groom themselves and don't bathe. They do everything they can to "out-nerd" other fans. They'll learn Japanese and use it conspicuously, eat Japanese food all the time, hang around Japanese people, etc.

* I've never had "anime friends." Most of my friends only know what it is because of me. My fandom is a solitary pursuit. It would be great to meets some cool people to watch anime with, but it just hasn't happened.

* Like I said above, I don't care much for the new stuff. I love the old 80s/90s anime styles of Kenchi Sonoda, Haruhiku Mikimoto, Masamune Shirow, and Jojhi Manabe. ( I have a feeling I butchered at least one of those names...)

Anyone else out there feel my pain?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Sort of. I'm certianly less dorkified about the whole Japanese Cartoons thing as I was a few years back, infact looking back on it, it's actually pretty embarrasing since I realise "hey, I liked a lot of crap! wow!".

In the end though, I do find some good things about newer shows, but only in very select ones. There's also been a consistency of shitty shows, even from the 70's, it's just we don't get a whole load of older titles and thus we can't really compare, whereas a good portion of recently produced titles are released and are made available to the general public.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Nope, quite the opposite, not to fond of many of the titles from back then but certainly appreciate my fair share of modern shows. Back then they were just too corny and cliche and while there's still plenty of that today(like those ridiculous harem shows), I find far more titles today that I like as opposed to back in the 80's and most the 90's. Not to mention I love clean and fluid animation and there just wasn't alot of that in those days, at least not compared to what is the norm today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Nope, quite the opposite, not to fond of many of the titles from back then but certainly appreciate my fair share of modern shows. Back then they were just too corny and cliche and while there's still plenty of that today(like those ridiculous harem shows), I find far more titles today that I like as opposed to back in the 80's and most the 90's. Not to mention I love clean and fluid animation and there just wasn't alot of that in those days, at least not compared to what is the norm today

On larger budget OAVs and films, and occasional TV series, you do get more fluid animation, but I find the actual animation quality in a wide number of titles has gone down since the advent of computer animation, since more studios are spreading more budget and resources over many projects, as opposed to increasing the quality on a small number of titles, which really should have been was CG was all about.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm 22 myself (for two more months anyway) and like both new and old stuff and enjoy a wide variety of genres. For me it's not the annimation that matters it's the story and characters. If those are good than the anime is good if those are bland than I probabally won't be enjoying myself watching it. I tend to go more for the newer ones though since they're easier to find. I just watch anthing and everything that I can get my hands on really, whatever decade it was created in. My collection includes classics like Iria, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Robotech, as well as newer stuff like Elfen Lied, Planetes, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I also dowload one or two of the brand new unliscensed series like Bleach and Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid now that I've got the proper connection speed for that sort of thing.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm only 18, so you might concider me more as the newer generation, though I started watching anime when I was 7 or 8 years of age. But I like older animes because to me they have the better storylines to them while as the newer movies while they're good too (Steamboy,BlueSubmarines no.6) I just seemed to be more in to the older stuff because not just graphics wise because I concider the stuff made back then to have quite a bit of skill without all the new technology you see now a days but because they seem more richer with the characters, to me anyways. Oh and to be more clearer I'm not talking just about the anime shows I'm more into the movies then the shows...Robotech is probably my favorite anime show while Vampire Hunter D is my favorite anime of all time.

Aniem shows are good which I tend to watch more of the newer stuff but that's only because they are more available. If I could get my hands more often on the older anime shows you'll probably see me watching them. But when it comes to the movies I'm mostly with the older stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Spatula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I've been into anime for a decent amount of time, and I've seen a few titles, but I think that there's just as much to enjoy about the newer titles compared to the older ones. When someone starts talking about the "good ol' days", I think that it's simply because their perceptions have changed over the years. The way that I perceive anime these days is certainly different, but I still enjoy many of the titles that have come out in the past few years.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
This just stinks of fanboy one-up-man-ship.

But I remember Space Adventure Cobra, and the one time ITV showed Castle In The Sky.
danth78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:
When someone starts talking about the "good ol' days", I think that it's simply because their perceptions have changed over the years.

It's the opposite. I haven't changed, but anime has -- at least in appearance. You can look at the character designs of the 80's/90's stuff, like Nadia, Gall Force, or GunBuster, and they look fairly similar. But they look totally different than the newer stuff like FMP or Naruto. The art style of anime, in general, has changed.

But my tastes haven't. Maybe I'm stuck in the past. I honestly think the new stuff looks horrible compared to the anime of my youth, but that could just be because I like what I grew up with -- my anime.

Likewise, when I was a kid, I looked at 70's anime (Harlock, Star Blazers) and I thought it looked old and ugly. I guess people just learn to like what they grew up with.
Old School

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
I'm with you Danth. I'm 27 and I have seen very few new anime that I like.

You have to look at like this though, How much anime did we have when we were growing up? Not very much.

So look at the new titles that are coming out as any other critic would, with a bit of skeptisim but also a little positivity because it may be the last you see of it if no one buys it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
Old School wrote:
I'm with you Danth. I'm 27 and I have seen very few new anime that I like.

You have to look at like this though, How much anime did we have when we were growing up? Not very much.

Hmm, I'm also 27, yet there's always more titles than I could possibly watch. Furthermore, there are many anime fans who are much older than us; many had no TV sets and all had no VCR in their childhoods (summoning Annie_Jr-obaachan...).

The low-quality of anime fandom is not alone. It's a plague of most forms of fandom, thanks to worldwide degeneration of intelligent education. Rolling Eyes In order to appeal these people, companies and even artists have to make compromises.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
maozhuoya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
I have seen anime for 12 years. I admit that I'm not so easily moved as before. I always said to my friend that only Macross or saint seiya can taken as great anime. However , recently I found thoese what so called classical and watched them carefully I just feel disappointed. They are not so perfect as I remembered. Our demand increase with the development of anime so that we don't realize this fact at all. I can say it is absolutely that new ones are better. Maybe you should try something else. What about SAMURAI CHAMPLOO(I begin to see it recently and think it is great)
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'm 20 years old and I've been an anime fan for about eight years now. I like the older anime from the '80s and the '90s, but I have to agree that there's not really so much new anime from the start of the 21st Century that's caught my interest, although there are a few expections (the last new anime I saw that I thought was good was Loveless). Maybe it's because a lot of creativity was used up with all those good shows from the past. Or maybe it's because we've seen so many shows that we start to see things that are predictable or repeative in the newer series because with the more we watch, the harder we get to please. Whatever the case, at least there's still a lot of older anime out there that I haven't seen yet that I really want to.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
It seems creativity isn't in very high demand nowadays with a lot of the same types of shows being churned out with what seems the American audience in mind. But, on the other hand, it's just like with anything else that becomes popular...you have to wade through the junk to get to the good stuff. There's good stuff with both old and new anime, but the older anime aren't popular here in the U.S. so we have an over-abundance of newer titles coming out with the occasional classic title making it's way here. It's tough to be into classic anime nowadays. Sad fact is though, if it doesn't sell it won't make it out here unless the companies are willing to take risks like that...some are, most aren't...especially with the over-saturation that's plaguing the market right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm 31, and I can tell you that getting "jaded" was the best thing that can happen to you as a fan.

All getting "jaded" really means is that you stop being a blind, close-minded fanboy and get "perspective", and anime simply becomes something you enjoy in moderation rather than being an integral part of your "identity". And it means that you actually have your own opinions, rather than following the herd (like how I still don't get what the fuss was about, really, with Spirited Away).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2