• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Papa's Delivery Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I take it that Nana is the Minami character? The one that both brothers liked/childhood-friend? Kind of odd that she is also a soccer player. In the show/manga that Knight of the Area is ripping off, she instead practiced her own sport (rhythm gymnastics), not competing in the same sport as the brothers. That's more like Cross Game. Interesting.

Not surprised to see both HxH and Pirates drop a bit. But hopefully the episodes to come will be worth the setup time.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Is it worth slogging through the mediocre first half of Another to get to the good stuff in the more recent epsiodes?

If you're fine with the pacing of the first few episodes of Shiki, then I'd recommend you start at the beginning with Another. They're similarly paced and both have a huge focus on establishing atmosphere for the first few episodes. And I'll disagree with Bamboo on which episodes are important: I think you truly do need to see all of them in order to get the full picture, and something important happens in each episode.
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, Another finally got its well-deserved spot. Better late than never. spoiler[My theory is that Mikami, Kirika and Chibiki might be the perpetrators of this phenomenon.]

Knight in the Area has to be one of the weakest sports anime I've seen so far. And yeah, "The Little Witch" also made me roll my eyes so much that I had to stop watching.

AnoNatsu and Papakiki have both been underwhelming mainly because I can't get myself to like the characters. I stopped taking AnoNatsu seriously since the sixth episode when they introduced the childhood friend and played the romance drama right out of the cliche guide.

Brave 10 is getting better and better and I do wish that Bamboo would pick it up at some point even if she doesn't include it in the stream. The increased stakes make the fights even more fun to watch.

Space Pirates finally seems to be going to get some action next episode that everyone's been waiting for.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Here's a question for Bamboo if she wants to answer (or maybe address in future columns): Is it worth slogging through the mediocre first half of Another to get to the good stuff in the more recent epsiodes? I haven't started the series yet and now I'm torn on whether I should.

Yes. I never agree with any opinion that ever tells you not to watch sequels, prequels, or even actual episodes of a decent show. It reminds me of those who bitch about moan about the first 20 or so episodes of Gintama, which are decidedly less funny but are still vital to introducing the setting and characters.

I caught up on Chihayafuru recently and it's a pretty damn good show. I love that the drama is relegated more or less entirely to the game and that the game is depicted with respect and accuracy. The only exaggerated action would be when the cards go flying across rooms, but nearly everything else seems quite spot on.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
This list fits quite well with my perceptions, though I also have not watched Another yet. (I watched the first two and haven't gotten back to it...) Bodacious Space Pirates is still number 2, though I might move it up to 1, personally. I don't have any issues with the precocious princess.

Ano Natsu is a real treat and, in the log run, could end up being my favorite of the season. Week to week, Chihayafuru and BSP win the week, but as a whole, the story of Ano Natsu just keeps building and getting better and better. Being a huge sap for romantic comedy, (my favorite anime is Ah! My Goddess) this show is likely to find its way into my BluRay collection and be re-watched again and again. Unless they totally screw up the ending!

Listen to me Girls is a sweet show. They have done a good job of keeping the creepy factor to a minimum. I read a bit of the manga this week and my opinion of the reserved nature of the anime improved tremendously! I could hardly read the manga, there were so many "sit on his face" moments! (And the detail of those moments was positively icky!) The anime is really toned down from that!

Still not watching Hunter X Hunter...

Lagrange has hooked me for the long haul, though I may watch a couple of weeks at a time... The loli in this one was a bit harder to take than BSP's loli... I don't really get why she grabbed Madoka's breast at all! That made absolutely no sense and was completely gratuitous! I did like the fact that it appears that the powers that be are playing both sides against each other, and there is no clear indication of who is really the good side. That is much more than I expected from this show.

As for Knight, I will probably keep watching it, but my soccer fan son, who has been reading the manga, is thinking of droping it...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Having just watched the exasperating ninth episode of Lagrange ~The Flower of Rin-Ne~, I begin to question my admittedly already unenthusiastic resignation to seeing it through. The parts about Madoka's past and that were relevant to the story were respectable, but they were surrounded by a lot of what felt to me like tedious junk. I'm probably too much of a hardheaded fool to give it up, but damn me if I can't see why a wiser man might.

vinamara wrote:
Brave 10 is getting better and better and I do wish that Bamboo would pick it up at some point even if she doesn't include it in the stream. The increased stakes make the fights even more fun to watch.

Bamboo dropped Brave 10 into the abyss a month and a half ago, so I'm afraid that yours is a lost cause.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
To be entirely honest with you, no. Others may disagree with me, but I would watch episodes 1, 4, 6, then continue from there. Then if you decide you have the time, go back and fill in. The first 5 episodes is a giant red herring, followed by some putzing around, until things pick up around episode 7.

Okay. Thanks for the advice. To be honest though, I don't know if I see myself watching it incomplete like that. I think I'd rather either watch the whole thing (if it's worth it) or just skip it entirely.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm still loving Chihayafuru. I hope we get a decent ending, but would love a second season. Best show of the season!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Edit: A serious question: would you still like Chihaya if it no romance ever bloomed?

Oh, absolutely. I'm enjoying this Taichi/Arata thing, but I love that Chihaya is oblivious to all of it. I'd rather see her become the Queen.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
I find it funny how Space Pirates falls here when its gotten better for me in recent weeks. Less serious space stuff and more cute girl highjinks please
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Romance is not why Chihayafuru is great. I mean, it's nice to see Taichi struggle with his emotions and all, but it is the writing in general that is really making this show the gem that it is. If it finishes strongly I will likely give it a perfect rating because it's just been so consistently amazing.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Having just watched the exasperating ninth episode of Lagrange ~The Flower of Rin-Ne~, I begin to question my admittedly already unenthusiastic resignation to seeing it through. The parts about Madoka's past and that were relevant to the story were respectable, but they were surrounded by a lot of what felt to me like tedious junk. I'm probably too much of a hardheaded fool to give it up, but damn me if I can't see why a wiser man might.

Hold on a little longer. Episode 10 looks to be the Last (moe) Hurrah.

I have to admit though, I really enjoyed episode 9, despite its relative lack of the three heroines. It could've just been a plain-old eye-roller, what with a clutch of supposed villains hiding in plain sight, but the Three Demetrio Stooges played the shenanigans just right. And of course, exposing Madoka's was a perfect counterpoint.

Last edited by Big Hed on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
To be entirely honest with you, no. Others may disagree with me, but I would watch episodes 1, 4, 6, then continue from there. Then if you decide you have the time, go back and fill in. The first 5 episodes is a giant red herring, followed by some putzing around, until things pick up around episode 7.

Okay. Thanks for the advice. To be honest though, I don't know if I see myself watching it incomplete like that. I think I'd rather either watch the whole thing (if it's worth it) or just skip it entirely.

I WISH I HAD NOT SEEN episodes 2-4 of another they were SO ANNOYING and literally nothing happened. I am waiting for the dub of episodes 6-?? before I touch another, another time.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
#3 - The Knight in the Area [ep. 8-9]

Just a quick technical note: the number that comes after #7 is #8, not #3. Probably just a typo, I know.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Quote:
#3 - The Knight in the Area [ep. 8-9]

Just a quick technical note: the number that comes after #7 is #8, not #3. Probably just a typo, I know.

Sorry, that's a carry over from last week. Fixed!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3