• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoko Kanno to score Ragnarok Online 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:38 am Reply with quote
I'm about to make a comparison about Linkin Park beating up on their same "distinct" style for more than two albums, but I won't elaborate. Sure they sold, but now... *poof!*
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
mike_s_6 wrote:
I'm about to make a comparison about Linkin Park beating up on their same "distinct" style for more than two albums, but I won't elaborate. Sure they sold, but now... *poof!*

Sure... and you can make the same comparison about Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest, who have held the similar style for over twenty years and are still around. Kajiura's been doing this style for roughly 10 years.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Sure... and you can make the same comparison about Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest, who have held the similar style for over twenty years and are still around. Kajiura's been doing this style for roughly 10 years.

And the same style is fine for a band, but it's not fine for scores. You even admit that her style didn't fit Madlax for you, yet you still are gushing.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

And the same style is fine for a band, but it's not fine for scores. You even admit that her style didn't fit Madlax for you, yet you still are gushing.

Because I like her music. I see her as an artist.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I commend you for being such a loyal fan; however, problems arise when you allow your fandom to cloud your judgement about other music and you deliberately belittle another artist for the sake of attempting to make your artist look better by comparison. Remember, all of this animosity stemmed from your original post. That's what rubbed people the wrong way, not Kajiura's music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I commend you for being such a loyal fan; however, problems arise when you allow your fandom to cloud your judgement about other music and you deliberately belittle another artist for the sake of attempting to make your artist look better by comparison. Remember, all of this animosity stemmed from your original post. That's what rubbed people the wrong way, not Kajiura's music.

This is about the most polite rebuttal I've read here so far.

Allow me to rephrase:

I like her music. I'm very aware her scores dont always fit the series she writes them for, but I still like to listen to them because I like the music. If I watch a show she scored, and I didn't know she scored it, I can instantly say "Hey, It's Yuki Kajiura". I see Her as an artist, where as Yoko is a composer. I acknowledge her ability to write music that will nicely compliment a scene in any show she is involved with. Despite that, to me, it sounds like anyone else that writes a jazz soundtrack for a film, or an orchestral soundtrack, and so on. I would never know it's her until I see her name in the credits.

Thinking about it even more, I dont even know why they're compared. Giving those reasons, they couldn't be any more different, could they? So it's not even apples and oranges, it's more like apples and... chalk.

Hope I was able to clarify a bit.
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
[Triple-posting is a no-no. -Nagi]
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy music by artists and composers who can play and write a variety of music. Using exploration of creativity, instead of relying on a more familiar usage, to me, is leaning more towards an "artist" than as just a "composer."

Which is why I don't like John Williams as much as I like Yoko Kanno. Not only is the music different and hard to pinpoint who composed it, it also sounds great. Which is good for me.

It is my preference towards artists who are able to write in diversity rather than sticking to repitition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3