• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Shounen Jump anime adaption is your favorite?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
This is a thread for discussing what your favorite anime series based
on a shonen jump manga is. State why you like it, how much of
it you've seen, and whether or not you'd recommend it to others.

My favorite is definitely Death Note; the reason being that is a
mature take on important subjects like murder and contains Light
Yagami, one of my favorite anime characters. I've seen all of the
anime and watched all three live-action films, haven't read much of
the manga. I'd definitely recommend it to others looking for a
good action series!
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
i think i'd have to say Nurarihyon no Mago or Bakuman, absolutely love both series, Nura slightly more though, and am super hyped that that Bakuman got a third season confirmed, totally deserved

as for why i like them, they're very different from other titles out there, Bakuman more so, very unique premise and definitely an intriguing one as well, been hooked ever since episode 1 of season 1 and got me on the manga too
i'm hoping it is able to keep up a 25 ep season/year type system that they've got going on at the moment, its much better than other adaptations with all their filler

with Nura, its not as unique but it combines lots of elements that i find enjoyable into 1 series, and suprisingly, i find the large cast to be a benefit rather than an negative, with a solid core set of main characters and the large secondary cast it pulls it off well

Definitely recommend both series to anyone looking for something a little bit different from the standard typical shounen manga, you'll be pleasantly suprised

*seen all of both, up to date on Bakuman S2 as well
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
My favourite SJ anime adaption is probably Bakuman. I really like the way they're doing it with 1/2 a year on, and half a year off as it means they can stick much more closely to the manga and not have filler. The manga has become quite interesting recently, and I'm interested to see where it will go overall.

I actually like the Nurarihyon no Mago anime more than the manga. The manga's art wasn't great in the first volume and that put me off, but the anime looked pretty good in comparison. It sort of seems like a shonen Natsume Yuujinchou to me.

I enjoyed Death Note as well. I found the endless talking and explaining worked better in anime form than in manga, where it just felt like you were reading a novel with pictures sometimes. It's an interesting story and premise, but I'm not sure it's something I'd keep coming back to now that I've seen it.

Blue Exorcist suffers from ongoing manga adaption syndrome, common to so many series. It was good until it diverged from the manga, then it just became full of cliches and boring.

They're the only ones I've watched recently. I'm planning on watching Medeka Box though.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball or is this supposed to read "Which WSJ anime besides Dragonball is your favorite?"
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Dragonball or is this supposed to read "Which WSJ anime besides Dragonball is your favorite?"

Dragonball is a valid pick for this thread.
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Gintama, easily. The additions outweigh any lack of focus on stuff that's actually in the manga, and the animation is surprisingly consistent for a 200+ episode series. Voice acting never hurt anything, either. No such thing as "filler hell/Namek" in a comedy series.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd vote for Hikaru no Go.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
One Piece, its amazing to see the story and characters brought to life with the music, voice actors, and just the sense of a live world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1