• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PS3 Final fantasy 7

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkSamurai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
I think square-enix should remake Final Fantasy 7. (Even though Square-enix said that they have no intention of remaking it). Because it was one of the best RPG games of all time (standing next to it legend of the dragoon, whic they should also make a part 2.) Anyway if other companies such as capcom remade resident evil for the gamecube, sega's shinobi. etc. Then why can't they remake FF7? tell me please. Oh. and if they do remake it well sell millions of copies. And you guys know that. Every FF7 fan well buy it. Better graphics, better sound, did i say graphics. Here's a Demo of FF7 on PS3. Only a technical Demo to test the power of the ps3 cell processor.

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/748/748460.html
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
Why? A Final Fantasy VII game already exists, why should there be another?

Wasting recourses is what I call that.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
Sigh isn't FF dying yet? The movie's got people hyped to no ends here. Wink

BTW, I've never played FF7 but the movie's got me interested. I'm planning to play it during the summer when I have time.. -_-;
DarkSamurai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
then that likes saying why did they remake resident evil for gamecube if theres already a resident evil for playstation. so im guessing its a waste of time then.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
Im not precisely sure if this is the right place for this post, but thats my call to make. As for the topic at hand, while i am a fan of the Final fantasy series, the seventh one having a special place in my heart, Im not quite sure a remake is the best thing for this game. This article http://www.gamespot.com/features/6130799/index.html does a pretty good job of explaining the challenges with recreating this game.

In my own opinion, its nearly impossible to reproduce this game with the same effect. The original Final Fantasy VII was a true evolution in RPG console gaming. Never before had a game possessed such magnificent storytelling, superb graphics, excellent use of CGs, and in-depth gameplay. That however was in 1997 and over time, the various aspects of FFVII that were once stunningly revolutionary were vastly improved upon in small steps by numerous games. In fact, it could be argued, and quite easily too, that FFX is a much better game then FFVII, but due to its lack of innovation, it has a less significance to the gaming world. So, in order to truly reproduce Final Fantasy VII in all its glory, one would have to, once again, reinvent the RPG genre. How does one go about this tough? How do you take an older RPG and reinvent both it and it's genre with out destroying the nostalgia of those who cried for the remake in the first place? Is it possible? Maybe for some fans, a remake wouldnt call for all this, but for others, it just wouldnt feel the same without something completly new Because without that FFVII is just an average RPG by today's standards. And besides, lets face it
spoiler[ Aerith's death can only shock us once. After that, it might become stale ]
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
DarkSamurai wrote:
then that likes saying why did they remake resident evil for gamecube if theres already a resident evil for playstation. so im guessing its a waste of time then.

Not exactly,

I believe a PS3 can play PSX games, however, a Gamecube cannot run PSX games. That's a pretty big difference right there.

And Mitsuhide A., I think you're overestimating FFVII's contributions to the console RPG market, and FFX's for that matter.
Neclord516

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
I believe your statement about FF7 not helping the RPG console market is dead wrong. Before FF7, there were not many RPGs that made it to America because they didn't sell well unless they had the Final Fantasy name attached to it. But after FF7 was released, it became an instant classic and opened many gamers eyes to RPGs which in turn opened the eyes of Japanese developers to bring their RPGs overseas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
DarkSamurai wrote:

Not exactly,

I believe a PS3 can play PSX games, however, a Gamecube cannot run PSX games. That's a pretty big difference right there.

And Mitsuhide A., I think you're overestimating FFVII's contributions to the console RPG market, and FFX's for that matter.

Even so, Capcom still went through the effort of remaking the game as opposed to just porting it the gamecube. That in itself is a valid enough point to say that the resident evil remake was pointless as well.

BTW FFX was only used to as an example of a good/great modern RPG that generally as heralded as FFVII
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Squares official word (as reported by EGM and re-posted by Magic Box):

"EGM interviewed Square Enix director Yoshinori Kita, regarding to the possibility of a PS3 remake of Final Fantasy VII; He said it would take a team of 300 people to develop the remake in the quality of PS3, and the development would last 5 years. He has so many other projects in the pipeline and a FFVII remake would be a heavy task. He commented if the timing is right, it is a very interesting perspective. It seems Square Enix's first PS3 project is presumably Final Fantasy XIII, instead of the FFVII remake"

Of course there's a lot of people calling their bluff as people speculate that it doesn't take five years to develop other FF games, let alone one with an established story. They also in the past pointed out that FFVII was already readily available on the PSX and further pushed that statement by including it with the FFVII:AC collectors set. I'm sorry, but it looks very unlikely that they'll remake the game for the PS3, but in five years they could have it ready for the PS4. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would... enjoy a remake of Final Fantasy 7, both Squaresoft Enix and myself don't see the real need. If they do a remake, they work from the ground up. Voice overs, update graphics (like Emerje/EGM said, 5 years), music, just about everything, with just about everyone in SE. It is much easier to do remakes of NES/SNES Final Fantasy much like with Final Fantasy 1-2 and the upcoming 3 (?) and 4 then remaking 7 on up. Heck they are having troble getting 12 and KH 2 out the door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Neclord516 wrote:
I believe your statement about FF7 not helping the RPG console market is dead wrong. Before FF7, there were not many RPGs that made it to America because they didn't sell well unless they had the Final Fantasy name attached to it. But after FF7 was released, it became an instant classic and opened many gamers eyes to RPGs which in turn opened the eyes of Japanese developers to bring their RPGs overseas.

Nah, there's no doubt that FF VII was a very popular game. However, saying that RPGs were decidely unpopular pre-FFVII is not true either. Just yell Chrono Trigger on any gaming board and you'll be sure more than a few will notice your message.

I was more referring to its storytelling etc, the supposed innovations that Mitsuhide A. was referring to.

Quote:
Even so, Capcom still went through the effort of remaking the game as opposed to just porting it the gamecube. That in itself is a valid enough point to say that the resident evil remake was pointless as well.

BTW FFX was only used to as an example of a good/great modern RPG that generally as heralded as FFVII

Perhaps it was a specific agreement between Capcom and Nintendo, who knows.

To be honest, I don't think FF X is a great game at all, not even worth putting on the same level as FF VII.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps it was a specific agreement between Capcom and Nintendo, who knows.

thats a bits besides the point considering that you said a remake of FFVII would be useless when the older version could simply be played on the PS3. In that same way, a remake of Resident Evil was equally useless when the old one could have simply been ported to the Gamecube.

As for 300 people being used to make the game, i think that a bit much ( i did read that article though). I think SquareEnix , given its record, would take longer than 5 yrs to make that game though.
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Mitsuhide A. wrote:
thats a bits besides the point considering that you said a remake of FFVII would be useless when the older version could simply be played on the PS3. In that same way, a remake of Resident Evil was equally useless when the old one could have simply been ported to the Gamecube.

As for 300 people being used to make the game, i think that a bit much ( i did read that article though). I think SquareEnix , given its record, would take longer than 5 yrs to make that game though.

How so? Do you think I meant US when saying usefull? Hell it goes both ways, if there would be an agreement between Capcom and Nintendo, I would guesse there was some benefit that makes it usefull for them.

Perhaps if this was ported to another system, there would be a chance for such a thing.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
DarkSamurai wrote:

Not exactly,

Before FF7, you only had Wild Arms (great) and Suikoden (excellent) as RPG on the PS for 2 years and both were 2D. FF7 was release in 97, it brought a new generation of RPG games as well as maintain the quality of the FF name. I myself am an old rpg player back in the NES days, but I notice all my friend started playing rpg after ff7.

Plus, the upgrade from FF6 to FF7 was so huge, that you can't help but be immense in it. Also FF7 is one of the best selling games of all times. FF7 was revolutional back in 97 just like Metal Gear Solid or Tekken 2.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I would love to see an FFVII remake. I mean, why not, y'know? But then again, considering the amount of emotion, magic, special effects, etc... in the story, yeah, it would take a heck of a long time to make it and a heck of a lot of money. I'm pretty sure if they made it though, they would make a lot of income, but I guess it's one of those projects that just have that "make more sequels" feel. You know, 'cause now they're making prequels, spin-offs, movies, and celluar games of FFVII.

I can't wait 'til the Dirge of Cerebrus and Crisis Core (Before Crisis) come out. The prequel is pretty much the only reason I really want a PSP. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6