• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Appleseed : Old or New?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
How would you compare the original Appleseed OAV to the recent CGI film?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The film is superior in almost every catagory, really.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Such as......?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Guilhem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
I didn't see the previous OAV but I strongly doubt the new CGI version surpasses it as far as scenario and characters are concerned because both of these points suck major @ss in the 2004 movie IMO

Visuals are the only aspect of the newest version which deserves any attention, all the rest is an insult to the original manga...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aflimmer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Does one need to see the OAV prior to watching the movie? I ask because I heard that the movie was great, but the OAV sucked.
milky joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
i liked the original APPLESEED its good, they could have given the new one a different title to avoid confusion, when i first heard about it i just assumed they were re-releasing the original.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The original wasn't that great, it was old and it looked and sounded like it and the characters just didn't seem to really belong in the setting they were in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Such as......?

The story is more involving, the action is much better, the characters are better developed, and the dub was better, in addition to the obvious upgrade in annimation of course. The OVA did have a better antogonist though.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked both the films. I thought the original OVA, though not near as deep as Shirow's manga, has some nice early Gainax animation, some really nice character designs and a cool, straightforward action story. The new movie has very nice CGI animation and some cool action scenes but, the storyline is pretty preachy and just doesn't have quite the feel that other Shirow anime have had. On top of that, it just feels a bit hollow and more of a chance just to show off all the flashy CGI animation. All in all though, both movies are really cool in my opinion. If you're looking to get into it, give both a try. I know some might be turned off by the completely traditionally animated original OVA, plus it being done in 1987, but give it a shot. If you're not trying to compare either to the manga, you'll find they're both pretty straighforward and good stories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cuprin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Visually speaking, the New one is very much superior. Well, it's also almost 20 years more advanced. The old one looks a lot like a traditional Anime from that era, which means great for when it was made.

You don't have to have watched the original to enjoy the new... in fact it might be to your advantage NOT to have seen the original. I spent half of the time trying to get the two together in my mind, and it just wasn't going to happen... The story has changed, but the names remained the same.

I found the original story easier to follow, but the new one gives the characters a lot more backstory, which I also enoyed.

Which is better? That's like asking which type of chocolate to eat. The answer is whichever you can get your hands on at the time.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Well,I can see this has gotten to be quite a debate . . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1