• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Openings and endings for the season.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Now that we're roughly in the middle of the season, I wanted to throw up an idea that I haven't been seeing on this forum. I was hoping some folks might be interested in talking about some of the openings and endings of this season's shows separately from the shows themselves (not musically, which belongs in another forum, but in terms of the art and writing).

For instance, I think the closer that works the best for me this season is Aquarion Evol's. (If you've been watching the show but skipping the endings, you might watch a newer one, as images have been added over the episodes) Just given the kind of show it is, I can totally imagine that 12,000 years from Evol's story, the characters that make it up would be remembered as legends rather than the bumbling teenagers they actually are (like the movie in the beginning remembers Aquarion's leads with respect that's laughable if you've seen that show). The images seem like these legendary representations of the characters. (Alterantively, they could be seen as putting the characters of the show into the clothes of the legends they reincarnate, though we don't have the information to know).

And I can't help but mention High School DxD's ending, which just goes ahead and puts the girls of the show on a stripper pole. Why be subtle?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Why not use the season thread?
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=433996

It's my pet project to get people to use these threads to talk about various aspects of the shows in a current season. (merge?)

It's hard to completely divorce the music from the visuals. Of the couple shows I don't bother skipping one of the standouts is the silly dance sequence ED at the end of KIll Me, Baby. The animation may be even worse than the typically (and intentionally?) bad animation in the show itself but the beat, the lyrics, and the weird choreography keep me watching.

Although, if we're talking weird and captivating you can't beat the ED to Daily Lives of High School Boys. A skit in its own right- you are really left wondering WTF they were thinking when someone staged that "play?"

For narrative OP's the best IMHO goes to Natsume Yūjin-Chō 4. So effectively bringing in the angst of his early life with the comfort of his new one. Especially impressive considering Crunchyroll's continued and maddening refusal to dub the lyrics to their show's theme songs. Even the specialty ED's created for the last couple Inuboku Secret Service episodes have been left frustratingly untranslated.

They only have to do most of them once, why not translate them?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I guess the season thread makes sense, too. If a mod wants to merge, have at it.

I think official translators typically don't have the legal right to publish translations of openings and endings with their streams, which is why they don't do it. Getting those rights probably requires extra contracts with artists and their publishers, who probably don't see any value to an audience that doesn't expand the market for their singles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1